Potential Drama Unfolding

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

you are correct, if you click on the gallery at top right and run forward from two days ago, you can see the boats inching towards the bridge, and then they swing right towards the nearest bank , probably when they cleared the railings top.

The strensham one is in my faveourites list from the last floods, where a boat came through and sat above the lock for the duration. The lower lock gates were completely submerged yesterday so the level has fallen 6".

You've probably already spotted that if you go upstream to the Wyre Piddle* webcam it shows a level board and the Avon actually peaked this time round at 3 1/2 ft - so yes, it's going down now.

I too greatly enjoyed seeing the nb lock through Strensham Lock last time round, to tie up to the lock landing that juts out into the river itself. I was expecting him to do what you've done and sit it out in the lock chamber. From the google earth view his chosen mooring looked pretty hairy even though it was on a floating pontoon on risers.

*home of an excellent micro-brewery that includes 'Piddle in the Hole' amongst its regular ales.

There used to be a good pizza shop there.

There was/is a really decent butchers there when we passed through last too....I pitched up just as he was closing but served me no problem, having to retrieve stuff from the fridges...

Decent chap...

It's obviously a lot worse ooop north and in Wales, but the levels are still rising daan saaff on the Thames.

The front end of the island I moor against has now disappeared completely. These pictures were taken from my roof.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMTI3LTAwMDgwLmpwZw.jpg

The upstream end of the island normally extends about 15ft ahead of that wall.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMTI3LTAwMDc4LmpwZw.jpg

It's still raining here and water from Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire can take 3 or 4 days to reach us, so I really hope it doesn't get any higher.

As a complete novice I would

like to ask what the best course

of action to save these boats

would be once the level starts dropping.

steffxxx

Good question. I've never been in that situation but I'd want to be on the boat with a decent length pole to push the boat away from the bank as the level drops. Could be a long, hard shift though. Is there an easier way?

Did you give up on the ball hitch idea Mike?

Yes, I never did that in the end. I've got a couple of trailer hitches going cheap if anyone's interested!

I'm glad a put up the scaffold poles and made the concrete anchor. When it's warm and sunny it seems like a waste of time and money, but now it feels like a good insurance policy.

Edited by blackrose

As a complete novice I would

like to ask what the best course

of action to save these boats

would be once the level starts dropping.

steffxxx

get a crew of 4 back on with long scaffold poles, find the edge of the bank and hold off, swap over every 6 hours so two can rest.

The other method is the one I suggested thousands of pages ago, and that is to run a long line from the bridge in front and pull the boats further out into the channel.

Still rising!

N

york279.jpg

This was how high it reached on the morning of 27 september this year. It took 5 days for the railing tops to become visible again.

upside down, the 2nd highest level was on the date above, the EA havn't updated their site for ages. I recall it was around 5.1 metres

Edited by matty40s

For anoracks like myself the EA Viking recorder is now showing that at 4.48 metres this is the second highest river level ever recorded for York - the previous 27/1/2008 reading was 4.47 metres. However, the graph does appear to be flattening out now fortunately.

EA expect the level to

continue rising until the

early hours of Wednesday

morning. Lawks!

Are they the amphibious variety of 'larks' often to be found lurking (or larking) in Mcr??

For anoracks like myself the EA Viking recorder is now showing that at 4.48 metres this is the second highest river level ever recorded for York - the previous 27/1/2008 reading was 4.47 metres. However, the graph does appear to be flattening out now fortunately.

To save the anoraks looking for it....

ChartImage.jpg?Id=662&ChartType=Graph

ChartImage.jpg?Id=662&ChartType=Histogram

york279.jpg

This was how high it reached on the morning of 27 september this year. It took 5 days for the railing tops to become visible again.

That must be a good two feet higher than it is now!

N

Just seen a person in a kayak going through. I hope that he is used to white water!

N

Edited by Theo

Just seen a person in a kayak going through. I hope that he is used to white water!

N

There is certainly something in this image is this what you saw?

(I reckon it's somebody who has come to York City centre to do their xmas shopping.... probably easier to get around by kayaak at the mo.)

ouse2.jpg

That must be a good two feet higher than it is now!

N

N

No, in fact its higher now as the EA recorder testifies. If you look across at the balcony of the National Cirriculum Building (about which I know a funny flood story) - immediately to the right of Woods Mill - you'll see that there's no discernible difference in levels. However, what's been bothering me is that in September the river level came within 3" of the top of the No Entry sign - I remember being very impressed that the light above it kept working throughout, casting a warming glow on the swirling flood waters. I have just deduced that since then the stem of the sign must have been lengthened, to prevent future damage to the electrics, in just the event we are now witnessing. A rather rare bit of pro-activity methinks!

Edited by Up-Side-Down

Using the street sign as a reference point I have overlapped part of that area in dryer times over the now flooded area.

And the boat is well clear of the bank and bollards, but the stern rope must be tigtening up, if it hasn't been adjusted since they left the boat yesterday..

ouse.png