When 1 1/2" pipe isn't quite... Suggestions please

Odana

Featured Posts

Just spent a 'shitty' afternoon with the new pumpout system, accessing and removing one of the pipes to change to the newly-purchased replacement pipe. Old pipe eventually persuaded off the fittings... New pipe....oh, that went on easily!!! New pipe is still 1 1/2 " - can't measure any difference with a tape measure, but is just fractionally bigger so it slips on too easily - I'm used to having to squeeze pipes on with boiling water and the like. And if a poo-pipe slips on too easily, then under pressure, even with jubilee clips, it may leak or (god forbid) slip off. Or won't be a tight enough seal for pump out. I reckon there's only 1mm in it, but a crucial mm. I tried on 2 fittings - both the same fit. I now own 10m of the stuff - about £60 worth.

I imagine any conversation with the supplier (an ebay chandlery shop) will be them insisting that it is 1 1/2" as quoted, so before I start that battle, has anyone else had this problem? And is there any absolutely leakproof way of getting a not-too-snug pipe fitting to be snug and leakproof? Someone has suggested PVA tape, another Plumbers Mate. And jubilee clips of course. I am not convinced.

Help? (Again - joys of a new boat eh?)

Nicki

Just spent a 'shitty' afternoon with the new pumpout system, accessing and removing one of the pipes to change to the newly-purchased replacement pipe. Old pipe eventually persuaded off the fittings... New pipe....oh, that went on easily!!! New pipe is still 1 1/2 " - can't measure any difference with a tape measure, but is just fractionally bigger so it slips on too easily - I'm used to having to squeeze pipes on with boiling water and the like. And if a poo-pipe slips on too easily, then under pressure, even with jubilee clips, it may leak or (god forbid) slip off. Or won't be a tight enough seal for pump out. I reckon there's only 1mm in it, but a crucial mm. I tried on 2 fittings - both the same fit. I now own 10m of the stuff - about £60 worth.

I imagine any conversation with the supplier (an ebay chandlery shop) will be them insisting that it is 1 1/2" as quoted, so before I start that battle, has anyone else had this problem? And is there any absolutely leakproof way of getting a not-too-snug pipe fitting to be snug and leakproof? Someone has suggested PVA tape, another Plumbers Mate. And jubilee clips of course. I am not convinced.

Help? (Again - joys of a new boat eh?)

Nicki

Jubilee clips on ours - that failed.

Sorry.

Jubilee clips on ours - that failed.

Sorry.

See, this is why the forum is great. I get to learn from your misfortune. Sorry to hear about....euch!

Any advance on Jubilee clips, folks...

And is it normal/acceptable for 1 1/2" pipe to come in very very slightly different diameters? In my view if it doesn't fit snugly on any one of a range of 1 1/2" fittings it is not fit for purpose, but it DOES measure 1 1/2" as far as my tapemeasure can tell.

If I were in your position I'd degrease the inside few inches of the pipe you were putting on, and the fitting you were attaching it to, and then lightly abrade the fitting with a suitable grade of sandpaper, and then attach the pipe with two jubilee clips of the correct size. I would be very confident that it would stay on.

Does this really come under any great pressure? Surely the only great pressure is suck on the pump-out and this will tend to hold it on rather than take it off? I haven't installed mine yet, I only have the tank in place ready.

I don't know what kind of stub your pushing the pipe over, but if its a standard 1 1/2'' copper pipe you could bell the end slightly with is tapered drift, once the clip is tightened on the plastic pipe behind the bell it won't pull over it.

If the stub is long enough you can fit any 1 1/2'' compression fitting to it to leave the olive behind. Tighten it up hard to squeeze the olive firmly on then remove the fitting leaving the olive behind firmly fixed on the stub, you can now shove the plastic pipe over and put the clip on, again firmly behind the bulge ''olive''. This of course will leave the nut trapped behind the plastic pipe and olive but that wouldn't really matter, hacksaw or grind it off if you wish.

• Greenie 1

If I were in your position I'd degrease the inside few inches of the pipe you were putting on, and the fitting you were attaching it to, and then lightly abrade the fitting with a suitable grade of sandpaper, and then attach the pipe with two jubilee clips of the correct size. I would be very confident that it would stay on.

Does this really come under any great pressure? Surely the only great pressure is suck on the pump-out and this will tend to hold it on rather than take it off? I haven't installed mine yet, I only have the tank in place ready.

I would also coat the solid pipe with Stag Jointing compound before sliding on the flexible pipe, I would also go for the wire clamps.

There would only be the static pressure from the weight of the liquid above the connection.

Is this true - I thought Odana's new boat has a macerator loo...(open to correction)

That creates more that 'static' pressure does it not?

Yep. Macerator toilet. 300 litre holding tank under bed, 4.5m from toilet. Pumpout hole and vent in roof. Nicki does NOT want leaks under the bed! Or behind toilet. Or anywhere. The stuff we have is sound, if a bit whiffy. Getting it out via all the holes through cupboards etc is going to be a pain, so I won't start till I'm 98% certain the replacement will fit.

Oh for the days of emptying my Portapotti once a week.....

As long as its not a really loose fit assemble using Sikaflex and two back to back hose clips with adjusters 180° apart. Tighten with pipe warm.

As alluded to the solid pipe should have hose barbs ideally or an olive soldered on.

Without knowing more about the hose and the pipe stubs in question, generally use quality clips, 2 if poss, and do them up TIGHT, enough to take ALL 'give' out of the hose material. This is easiest with a small T bar/ratchet and socket, but don't overdo it.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Good quality beveled edge clips though, ordinary cheap plain worm drive clips would probably strip the track tightening them too much and also cut into the pipe.

See, this is why the forum is great. I get to learn from your misfortune. Sorry to hear about....euch!

Any advance on Jubilee clips, folks...

And is it normal/acceptable for 1 1/2" pipe to come in very very slightly different diameters? In my view if it doesn't fit snugly on any one of a range of 1 1/2" fittings it is not fit for purpose, but it DOES measure 1 1/2" as far as my tapemeasure can tell.

tape measure is useless for measuring diameter. You need good calipers.

1.5" is 38.1mm so it sounds like you have 1.5" pipe and 38mm fittings. If you can't get a hose tail (barbed) fitting then you need to take up that gap. There's a good chance any pipe clip will turn that surplus into a crease.

You don't say whether they are plastic or brass that will call for different solutions.

Incidentally why do people put pump out fittings on the roof? Surely that extra metre of head is asking for trouble? And a pipe full of poo all the way through your living compartment.

Edited by Chris Pink

1.5" is 38.1mm so it sounds like you have 1.5" pipe and 38mm fittings. If you can't get a hose tail (barbed) fitting then you need to take up that gap. There's a good chance any pipe clip will turn that surplus into a crease.

You don't say whether they are plastic or brass that will call for different solutions.

Incidentally why do people put pump out fittings on the roof? Surely that extra metre of head is asking for trouble? And a pipe full of poo all the way through your living compartment.

I would suggest that if the pipe is copper or brass tinning the area where the connection is to go should increase the diameter sufficiently to give a permanent secure fit.

Roof fitting seems to be the modern trend to give omni side access. But as you say it also gives a longer suction line.

Pipe fittings are mainly brass. One plastic coming off toilet macerator (the really crucial one!). Not sure what people mean by barbed- the fittings on tank are ribbed so would normally grip on a tighter pipe. This pipe slides on touching but w little resistance for barbs to grab.

New pipe says 38mm on it. Invoice says both 38mm and 1 1/2". Invoice for original fitting 6 yrs ago lists all in inches. I suspect its just the tolerance in manufacture, but annoying.

Have never needed calipers before but this boat is demanding em daily- now on my List.

These are what you need

l-bolt-barrel.jpg

Linky

They solved my problems. So much so I replaced all my Jubilee clips with these.

Other makes are available. And surprisingly they are not that expensive.

What makes them any better than using 2 jubilee clips set 180 degrees apart? That's what I do and never had a problem.