Stove heat reflector

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

Has anyone seen / used a heat-reflective sheet of say copper or stainless steel behind their multi-fuel?

Our stove is square (Becton Bunny) and built into a corner so I imagine a quarter-round sheet reflecting heat towards the room. It would stand off the tiled fire surround thereby creating an additional air gap.

Any thoughts?

I have brass sheet on both parts of the 'corner'.

I don't know what it would be like without it as I never tried ?

Always feels as if the heat is radiating my way though...and looks quite nice...as its edeged around with dark hardwood strip.

I'd say it works...but then I say my Eco-fan works :rolleyes:

I use a very simple method, there is a brass towel rail just above the back of the stove, and I fold over the rail tin foil sheets that hang down the back.....this leaves an air gap between the sheet and the wall. The tiles stay fairly cool even when the stove is roaring.

I'm sure a moderator can correct the title.

I have copper-effect anodised aluminium sheets behind my stove. I put them up instead of tiles so they're just a decorative finish, but perhaps they also reflect some heat.

The aluminium is mounted on Masterboard but there's no airgap. The other side of the 18mm bulkhead doesn't get hot.

DSC_5948-Copy-1.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I have beaten copper sheets behind and to the side of the stove (at least I assume it's copper - if so it's probably the most valuable item on the boat!) As it was there when I bought the boat, I have no idea what's behind, but even when the stove is very hot, the copper sheet is never too hot to touch.

We had our reflector made in 2mm stainless for the simple reason that the heat was spoiling the cabin lining.

It works brilliantly, reflecting the vast majority of heat away from the sides . . (and I am chuffed with how it looks, too!)

GFsFirecocoonDSC04892.jpg

Do I spot n Aladdin lamp sans shade by the stove?

I'm sure a moderator can correct the title.

I have copper-effect anodised aluminium sheets behind my stove. I put them up instead of tiles so they're just a decorative finish, but perhaps they also reflect some heat.

The aluminium is mounted on Masterboard but there's no airgap. The other side of the 18mm bulkhead doesn't get hot.

DSC_5948-Copy-1.jpg

Looks good.

My idea really is more to reflect heat that is currently going into the tiles and dead space behind the fire.

It's not really a safety issue as we already have a decent air-gap behind the fire and tiles on asbestolux equivalent.

I just feel the more heat you can throw forward into the room the better.

But yes, Aluminium is an option I'd not thought of.

We had our reflector made in 2mm stainless for the simple reason that the heat was spoiling the cabin lining.

It works brilliantly, reflecting the vast majority of heat away from the sides . . (and I am chuffed with how it looks, too!)

Now that is a comprehensive job!

Was it pricey?

That does look like a really nice reflector. :D

Edited by Mooresey

• 1 month later...

Just a follow-up for anyone that's interested.

I installed a copper-effect anodised aluminium sheet behind the Becton and it makes a huge difference.

I left a small air-gap behind the sheet (about 20mm).

Not only is heat thrown forward but both the Alu sheet and tiles behind it are cool even when the fire's roaring.

Just a follow-up for anyone that's interested.

I installed a copper-effect anodised aluminium sheet behind the Becton and it makes a huge difference.

I left a small air-gap behind the sheet (about 20mm).

Not only is heat thrown forward but both the Alu sheet and tiles behind it are cool even when the fire's roaring.

I've been looking for ideas and considering options regards tidying up around my stove. Is this sheeting expensive?and where'd you get yours?

I've been looking for ideas and considering options regards tidying up around my stove. Is this sheeting expensive?and where'd you get yours?

I bought mine from a DIY outlet, actually in France but I suspect B & Q or similar will stock it.

1000 x 500 mm sheet 30 Euros - you may well find it cheaper in the UK.

Regarding storage-heater bricks behind the stove, my intention really was to reflect the heat away from the back of the stove - apart from the space issue you may have behind there. In effect the stove itself is a big 'storage-heater'.

A friend of mine has considered installing a 'hot-air collector' (akin a cooker hood perhaps) above his fire with a decent size pipe to either bedroom or bathroom (or both) and blow the air through with a small 12v fan. Wife not too happy about the big pipe theory but in principle its not a bad idea.

how about filling the space behind the stove to the wall with storage heater bricks ? how does that sound ?

If you stack them carefully they don't make any sound at all......

Do I spot n Aladdin lamp sans shade by the stove?

They both have the original shades!! - one is 1951, the other we suspect is early 60's

Looks good.

My idea really is more to reflect heat that is currently going into the tiles and dead space behind the fire.

It's not really a safety issue as we already have a decent air-gap behind the fire and tiles on asbestolux equivalent.

I just feel the more heat you can throw forward into the room the better.

But yes, Aluminium is an option I'd not thought of.

Now that is a comprehensive job!

Was it pricey?

Sorry Boaty Jo, - - I missed your question earlier - - - the 'cowling' (and a few other little jobs) were circa £300!

Expensive - but nicely done.