making locks easier with an Easylass

jaynethecabingirl

Featured Posts

Well i didnt know what epycyclic gear systems were but lasers talk of sun and planet gears is giving me a clue. I love the way engineering terms are like that.

I think laser means that he cant cost them until they have the final prototype built.

I have a mental picture of the innards of a marine gearbox attached to a dunton double. I'll probably have nightmares tonight worrying about what oil I should have used for the gears

<sorry, I just got my coat>

h

hi lonewolf

sorry i missed your post

if you read alan fincher post

i try to explain whats on the table at this moment in time,we are actually finishing the proto-type this comming week

but already making revisions for the pre-pruduction,as stated earlier weight reduction is paramount the last model weighed 3lbs or 1.4kg we are trying for 1kg replacing stainless steel with aluminimum where possible this means less welding more machining,and using needle bearings in place of bronze again bought in not made in.if things dont work out i will use this myself would you beleive the only windlesses i use myself is a dunton double which i love all ally and a smooth silky cool fixed handle this proto is having a silky cool ally handle. and my orignal ladylass final one number 10 which i saved for myself. god willing ive never had the need for an easylass and hopefully i never will.

Thanks laser. I'm finding all of this very interesting. Do let us know how the prototype turns out

I just use the heavy one that came with the boat & occasionally have to revert to the long handle one. if had a light one i'd probably forget it & leave it behind. if i had an expensive one i'd drop in i expect. Hey, is aluminium magnetic? You'd want one that was retrievable i think if it was expensive

Thanks laser. I'm finding all of this very interesting. Do let us know how the prototype turns out

I just use the heavy one that came with the boat & occasionally have to revert to the long handle one. if had a light one i'd probably forget it & leave it behind. if i had an expensive one i'd drop in i expect. Hey, is aluminium magnetic? You'd want one that was retrievable i think if it was expensive

Your *heavy* windlass is probably a ¼ of the weight of the prototype Easylass - so probably not too easy to forget?

I'm sure most men prefer a windlass that they can tuck behind their trouser belt? (which would also hide a builders cleavage).

I have a mental picture of the innards of a marine gearbox attached to a dunton double. I'll probably have nightmares tonight worrying about what oil I should have used for the gears

<sorry, I just got my coat>

Try thinking of a Sturmey Archer bicycle hub instead. Nearer to the right scale, but your nightmares could change to dreams of changing gear as you wind ;)

Tim

Try thinking of a Sturmey Archer bicycle hub instead. Nearer to the right scale, but your nightmares could change to dreams of changing gear as you wind ;)

Tim

Now THAT's an interesting idea. A 20" bicycle back wheel with Sturmey-Archer hub, and an adaptor to fit it onto a paddle spindle....

Nah, wouldn't work, the gearing is backwards.

I think....

You will be quite busy then!

Nah, it's easy, a few posts back, an example of fluent Gibber.........ish

...............However for me, this in not investible, and therefore I'm out......

:rolleyes:

hi dc

yes i am a boater ,i was ascending the hatten flight about 1994 i was doing the locks with 3 lovely ladies who was complaining as usual about hubby leaning on the tiller swilling booze ,i was their ideal boater bloke, someone who thought about my boater wife. ,little did they know it was my wifes boat (for tax purposes i thought, when i put it in her name,she thought it was a christmas presnt) however she made it clear if i wanted to go on HER boat she was the captain and i was the crew. im no david beckem in fact ive got a crooked nose and buck teeth (no braces and private dentists when i was a kid)but for 3 hours I WAS THE MAN my ego had never been so high,we did all the locks together,it was then that i said that by the time that we had finnished the flight i would have come up with a solution to their problem by now when they beleived me i was on cloud 9 i told them the device

would be named after them and called ladylass i told them i would feature it in waterways world and that if they want one to contact me.when we finished the flight my wife was stepping off the stern onto the mooring passing me our dog when my son pulled the the bow rope the stern came away and she and our dog fell in between our boat and the wall the water was deep and she went straight under, the water was cloudy but she was wearing a bright red jumper which i saw when i just managed to grab her and pulled her out. she wasnt hurt she just got back on the boat had a shower then got the next train back to sheffield never to go on the boat again .one of the ladies did finish up with a ladylass and i got my boat back

I'm glad you've confirmed that they were once call ''Ladylass'' as last year on this forum people told me i was wrong and ''seeing things'' and that they were always called ''Easylass''.

Lots of starter motors about these days with compact epicyclic reductions on if anyone fancies making one of their own. £150 quid for a windlass? Not without some serious brain injury.

It's the weight of the batteries you'd have to carry, though....

Tim

• Greenie 1

Wouldn't you have to wind backwards when you changed gear?

It's a while since I rode a bike with one, but from what I remember you can change up while just easing off the pedal pressure, changing down needs you to stop pedalling - not necessarily back pedalling. I'm sure someone with more recent experience can give chapter & verse.

Tim