Just because we use a hire boat

loumush

Featured Posts

Just because we use a hire boat seems to give anyone who has their own boat the right to assume that we can't steer, go too fast, don't slow down past boats, not know how to deal with locks etc etc etc. Sorry this is a bit of a rant but often in general conversation if we mention that we are on a hire boat there generally follows something relating to one of the topics mentioned. I just feel like people who hire should be treated with a little more respect than is often the case. Just yesterday I followed a private boat past moored boats and he was getting away from me. Certainly faster that tick over. :banghead:

1) Remember that a majority of private owners started as hirers and made the same mistakes that we all have made. Show me a man who says he hasn't and in all probability I'll show you a liar.

2) If that doesn't make you feel better, imagine the steerer of the private boat sitting on the loo. It's a great equaliser.

3) DON'T WORRY!

Just because we use a hire boat seems to give anyone who has their own boat the right to assume that we can't steer, go too fast, don't slow down past boats, not know how to deal with locks etc etc etc. Sorry this is a bit of a rant but often in general conversation if we mention that we are on a hire boat there generally follows something relating to one of the topics mentioned. I just feel like people who hire should be treated with a little more respect than is often the case. Just yesterday I followed a private boat past moored boats and he was getting away from me. Certainly faster that tick over. :banghead:

Anyone? as in anyone who owns their own boat are you sure you don't mean 'some people who own their own boat'.

Tarnishing all private boat owners with the same brush is no better than doing the same to hirers ... :cheers:

OP.

It isn't important whether other folks 'think/assume' that you go too fast, can't steer, don't follow procedure etc.

What is important that you do travel at the correct speed, you are courteous, use locks safely (etc.) - for with that knowledge, - all the others, whether they be private boat owners, hirers or gongoozlers - - can go an boil their heads!

Be true to yourself - remember - when you look in the mirror - the only person you see is you

• Greenie 1

Also remember that you have the last and ultimate laugh. You don't have maintenance, depreciation, licencing, insurance, moorings to worry about. Thats before we also include things like you hire close to were you want to be, you don't have the possible drudge of moving a private boat from one end of the canal network to the other. As I see it you have the best opportunities to try many different boats, (styles, sizes, layouts).

We're not all the same, us boat owners, you know.

There's the "Shiny Boat Brigade", the "Country Cottage Owners", "Working Boat Fraternity", "Continuous Cruisers", "Hippy Hutch Dwellers" etc, etc.

In fact, there are no end of ways of pigeonholing other waterway users in order to pander to your prejudices....

• Greenie 2

OP.

It isn't important whether other folks 'think/assume' that you go too fast, can't steer, don't follow procedure etc.

What is important that you do travel at the correct speed, you are courteous, use locks safely (etc.) - for with that knowledge, - all the others, whether they be private boat owners, hirers or gongoozlers - - can go an boil their heads!

Be true to yourself - remember - when you look in the mirror - the only person you see is you

When I look in the mirror, I don't see anything.

signed .... Count Duckula

I hope we can meet you out and about on your hire boat sometime. Everyday is a school day for all of us and I am sure you could teach me a thing or two about handling a boat.

Janet S on this forum is a regular hirer and when they tale a boat out it they cover so many miles and locks and they get the advantage of being able to start in a different place each time meaning they are far more experienced than I will ever be!

We love to talk to hirers and often find they are amazed that we are interested in their experiences during their holiday. I think it is such a shame that more people are not prepared to interact with hirers in a more positive way

Anyone? as in anyone who owns their own boat are you sure you don't mean 'some people who own their own boat'.

Tarnishing all private boat owners with the same brush is no better than doing the same to hirers ... :cheers:

Point well made - I guess that the OP meant "some people" rather than "anyone", especially as in another thread they reported that the hireboat holiday was very pleasurable.

When did we start letting bloody hirers on the forum, pah, whats the world coming to.

These mods will be letting canoodlists, fishymen, MAMILS and swans join soon.

September 2006 (at least)

I must admit to being cautious when meeting a hire boat coming the other way -- but I'm happy when they prove to be capable boaters (which they generally do!).

In much the same way, I'm cautious about getting too close to BMW drivers on the road -- but happy for the driver to demonstrate that he/she isn't a complete Richard Cranium after all.

I must admit to being cautious when meeting a hire boat coming the other way -- but I'm happy when they prove to be capable boaters (which they generally do!).

In much the same way, I'm cautious about getting too close to BMW drivers on the road -- but happy for the driver to demonstrate that he/she isn't a complete Richard Cranium after all.

Christ. You must be terrified if you meet a BMW driver who also hires a narrowboat! :unsure:

There's the "Shiny Boat Brigade", the "Country Cottage Owners", "Working Boat Fraternity", "Continuous Cruisers", "Hippy Hutch Dwellers" etc, etc.

In fact, there are no end of ways of pigeonholing other waterway users in order to pander to your prejudices....

You missed the continuous moorons ers . :rolleyes:

A lot of the hirers I speak to are far more experienced than me. Then again a lot of the day boaters are more experienced than me :)

A couple of years ago we fancied a trip on the western K&A and rather than run our own boat all the way down there we decided to hire from Hilperton. The boat was wide and a bit of a pig to steer but we gradually got used to it and felt quite happy after an hour's cruising. Approaching a bridge I could see a 'shiny' private boat coming the other way; the steerer even had on a pseudo naval hat. He was clearly experiencing some weed difficulties in his approach to the bridge hole so we went through and while passing we enquired of him if everything was OK. His plum in mouth response that we should have given way to him because we were a hire boat didn't go down too well with my friends, one of whom I had to physically restrain from climbing over the stern rail to get at the 'hatted' one.

Its quite interesting. On the continent, in addition to the above (+ continuous moorers) you have a mix of nationalities and a wider variety of boat type, the majority of which are cruisers.

One nation's boats (and arguably two) have a tendency to be a touch 'inconsiderate'.

The hire boats (of which there are many on certain canals and particularly at certain times of year) are cruiser-type boats and any poor behaviour is down primarily to lack of tuition and to a lesser degree 'high spirits'.

well to use a regular complaint on here... Its not the hirers i have a problem with its the lack of tuition by some hire companies.

So when i see a boat from a well known company I assume that the hirer might not know what he's doing, if he hasn't watched 'the DVD' that passes for tuition from that company and either keep out of their way or if sharing locks keep an eye on them. Most times the crews are cheerful and happy to do their bit and are grateful for a bit of polite encouragement or explanation of what to do. I hope we don't treat them any differently than we would treat anyone we met for the first time in a lock or whatever.

The rudest people I've met are the water gypsies who think 'cos they live on their boat they are special...

Keeping it simple, he has a point. I was often left to feel embarrassed to be a hirer because of the few ignorants among the owning fraternity. When we bought a boat, oh what a change. It was obvious. And so far as going too fast is concerned as a then hirer I was chastised twice in 4 years, once on the Severn ( he was an arse) and one at Thrupp where an owner beckoned me to slow, I did not set the tickover speed ( she got the smile and no more). I am not stereotyping so calm down.

Love and peace to all (well most anyway)

I hope we can meet you out and about on your hire boat sometime. Everyday is a school day for all of us and I am sure you could teach me a thing or two about handling a boat.

Janet S on this forum is a regular hirer and when they tale a boat out it they cover so many miles and locks and they get the advantage of being able to start in a different place each time meaning they are far more experienced than I will ever be!

We love to talk to hirers and often find they are amazed that we are interested in their experiences during their holiday. I think it is such a shame that more people are not prepared to interact with hirers in a more positive way

Here here

'Water gypsies?' Really, though! :angry: Another classical example of considering a whole demographic of people (who might not even self-identify as part of said stereotypical group) as one unit and treating them accordingly; pretty much what the OP said about hiring.

Shall I continue the theme by assuming that you have a modern, all bells and whistles shiny boat and concluding from that that you're a stuck up yuppie who looks down their nose at anyone who gets to live on their boat and doesn't, for whatever reason, follow your idea of how a boat should be used?

No. I choose not to stereotype other boaters, of any kind, even when they don't afford the same courtesy to me.

This 'water gypsy' has more class.

Read Water Margins, it's class

'Water gypsies?' Really, though! :angry: Another classical example of considering a whole demographic of people (who might not even self-identify as part of said stereotypical group) as one unit and treating them accordingly; pretty much what the OP said about hiring.

Shall I continue the theme by assuming that you have a modern, all bells and whistles shiny boat and concluding from that that you're a stuck up yuppie who looks down their nose at anyone who gets to live on their boat and doesn't, for whatever reason, follow your idea of how a boat should be used?

No. I choose not to stereotype other boaters, of any kind, even when they don't afford the same courtesy to me.

Tommy sauce or Mayo on them chips ?? ;)

I don't think that was deserved to be honest. perhaps not the best choice of forum shorthand on my part but there are as we all know those with chips on thier shoulders in all walks of life...

seems to me that you need to remove your head from up your own posterior...

• Greenie 1