Types of coal

Kassia

Featured Posts

Hello, we have a Morso wood burner on our new boat but were thinking of burning coal over night to keep the boat warm for the morning. Is there a certain type of coal I should buy that is suitable for that type of burner? I have seen house coal and smokless house coal but having never bought coal before I thought I better check! :blink:

Thanks

Hello, we have a Morso wood burner on our new boat but were thinking of burning coal over night to keep the boat warm for the morning. Is there a certain type of coal I should buy that is suitable for that type of burner? I have seen house coal and smokless house coal but having never bought coal before I thought I better check! :blink:

Thanks

The smokeless nugget-type coal is best. Smokeless as in it smokes less than ordinary coal, as opposed to not smoking at all! We run our Morso Squirrel on this all the time since you need much less space to store it than wood. It easily stays in overnight and in fact lasts close to 24hrs between refills if ticking over. Just be careful not to over-fire it (ie too much air) since it can get a lot hotter than wood.

Be aware that some smokeless coals chuck out a fair amount of acid when they burn which will shorten the life of your stove, the popular Taybrite being one. Probably best burning something like Anthracite or similar. Its more expensive, but if you have a back boiler, a cheaper high acid producing coal is not worth risking it bursting, because of the acid, in the future.

Depends so much on your stove, how much it draws, sealing of vents and holes. For the main though the following MAY be true:

1. Homefire Ovals - most expensive, apparently uses a natural glue to hold it together so the fumes are less toxic, produces plenty of heat however. I can't remember what the ash is like, but I think it was quite high.

2. Excel - popular high level brand - medium/low ash, controllable and long lasting, but takes a while to produce a good heat, and doesn't seem as hot as others when turned down low.

3. Taybrite - mid level brand - slightly more ash than Excel, but still fairly controllable. Moderate amount of heat from it even turned low.

4. Supertherm - slightly cheaper brand - ash less fine than Taybrite/Excel so stays around the coal rather than falling through the grating, also quite high ash content I find, but plenty of heat right through the burn, and because of the ash will stop it running away in poor sealing stoves.

5. Pureglow - cheapest smokeless I sell, little ash, huge amounts of heat (maybe too much in a small cabin like mine) right through the burn to the last, in fact I've managed to accidentally run it out as the stove was so hot I thought I had plenty in it when there was just a couple of little lumps left! Very controllable, lasts an age - 18 hours my record so far, and opening up made it jump straight into action, must have had a few hours left in it I recon.

6. Group A Housecoal - dirty burning, but little ash, and a strange and lovely glowing type heat from my stove. Pretty smoke out of the chimney for shows etc, but horrible stuff to breath in!

7. Phurnacite - designed for automatic feed boilers so small very rounded eggs means it flows well. Needs plenty of air, but great for cooking with. Needs regular riddling to get the most heat out of it. I have used it turned down low, but it's not quite as long lasting or controllable as others.

Comments?

• Greenie 2

Depends so much on your stove, how much it draws, sealing of vents and holes. For the main though the following MAY be true:

1. Homefire Ovals - most expensive, apparently uses a natural glue to hold it together so the fumes are less toxic, produces plenty of heat however. I can't remember what the ash is like, but I think it was quite high.

2. Excel - popular high level brand - medium/low ash, controllable and long lasting, but takes a while to produce a good heat, and doesn't seem as hot as others when turned down low.

3. Taybrite - mid level brand - slightly more ash than Excel, but still fairly controllable. Moderate amount of heat from it even turned low.

4. Supertherm - slightly cheaper brand - ash less fine than Taybrite/Excel so stays around the coal rather than falling through the grating, also quite high ash content I find, but plenty of heat right through the burn, and because of the ash will stop it running away in poor sealing stoves.

5. Pureglow - cheapest smokeless I sell, little ash, huge amounts of heat (maybe too much in a small cabin like mine) right through the burn to the last, in fact I've managed to accidentally run it out as the stove was so hot I thought I had plenty in it when there was just a couple of little lumps left! Very controllable, lasts an age - 18 hours my record so far, and opening up made it jump straight into action, must have had a few hours left in it I recon.

6. Group A Housecoal - dirty burning, but little ash, and a strange and lovely glowing type heat from my stove. Pretty smoke out of the chimney for shows etc, but horrible stuff to breath in!

7. Phurnacite - designed for automatic feed boilers so small very rounded eggs means it flows well. Needs plenty of air, but great for cooking with. Needs regular riddling to get the most heat out of it. I have used it turned down low, but it's not quite as long lasting or controllable as others.

Comments?

As you're a professional, I'd be very interested in your views on the acid problems associated with some coals, Taybrite for example. Have you ever come across this problem?

Edited by Spuds

Comments?

A very good guide I like Excel but when I can't get that I use Supertherm

Once made the mistake of buying 'house coal' for our Squirrel - it will be a mistake I won't be repeating, have never seen so much residual mess to sort.

We can't be so picky and choosy about our suppliers (we don't have many) but we always go with 'nugget' type and never had a problem.

Got some free today as it happens from the excellent little DIY store in Snaith, they have stopped selling and wanted shot of what they had left...

Just cost me a couple of quid in the Poppy tin. :cheers:

Edited by The Dog House

Hi Mike

Have you any experience of 'pureheat' ?

We re experimenting this years and have a few bags of pureheat, supertherm and excel to try out.

Les

I use Pureheat and find it excellent. I've tried several other brands and not found one to beat it.

I'd be a bit concerned about using Phurnacite by itself long term, that level of heat can't be good for a grate. I tend to use a bit of Phurnacite mixed with something else.

But you're in control of the heat output of the stove, surely. Unless you are saying that Phurnacite is fairly un-controllable?

Besides, high heat levels are the reason Morso modified the Squirrel so that with the main door closed, the ashpan door can't be opened & that the bottom vent can't be opened more than 2mm instead of the usual 5mm. It wasn't the fuel that prompted this modification, it was the mis-use of the stove that caused the overheating prompting the mods.

Saying that is not meant to divert the thread away from the OP's original query, but it has a little bit of relevance IMHO.

True, very good, very hot, and can keep going with just a few nuggets still giving out heat. Fair amount of ash though.

Don't know this one, but know it has a commited following amongst some happy users.

Good budget coal, burns well, and hot, but needs a fairly well build up fire. Trying to keep it ticking over, is tricky, and does not produce maximum heat

Again, an aquired taste, liked by a limited number of users.

Sounds to good to be true :cheers: , not one my suppliers stocks, but will enquire.

House coal is pure coal, and needs a very hot fire, to be able to burn all the tar. If you use house coal for a hot fire, you'l be fine. If you try to use house coal to 'keep it in', or tick over, you will stink out the neighbourhood, and ruin :-) your chimney and the sides of your boat... ;) I use small amounts of house coal, on nights when I'm in, and need plenty of heat, mixed with the usual smokeless coal.

Hot, but needs to much work in a small stove, to make it work properly. Will be both very hot, and die on you, in the space of 20 minutes... :o

Comments?

Wildfire is like mixed ovals etc, it's a mix of what the supplier sells. After filling the regular bags, with premium coal, they gather up the bits that are on the floor. Could be lots of good bits, or not so good bits...

OK thanks - so consistent results will be lacking in the quality control department then ....

Nick

I've been using Multiheat lately, Two different sizes of oval nuts in the bags. Summer rate was £7.60p for 25kg bags from our local merchant. I find it very good. To be honest i don't think there's much difference between any of the smokeless nuts, i think a lot of its in the mind, its only just the size really, large nuts need less bottom air, and smaller nuts need more bottom air. I've not really noticed much difference in economy or heat output for a given control setting, only the various prices.

Comments?

No mention, so far, of plain old Anthracite - I use a mix of small coal which is the ideal fuel for a Squirrel stove with a back boiler. Pure Anthracite has minimal sulphur and ash content, excellent heat output, highly controllable, no nasty additives (as found in manufactured ovoids) and it is mined in Wales.

We've had real problems with Taybrite over the last 2 winters, loads of ash and very hard to keep the fire in overnight at low setting. Lately we have been getting Newheat, which is slightly larger nuggets than Taybrite. It makes far less ash, keeps in at very low rates of burn and jumps quickly back to full heat when the stove is opened up again. Our stove is a Classic, as sold by a certain well known Midlands chandlery, if that is relevant.

We've had real problems with Taybrite over the last 2 winters, loads of ash and very hard to keep the fire in overnight at low setting. Lately we have been getting Newheat, which is slightly larger nuggets than Taybrite. It makes far less ash, keeps in at very low rates of burn and jumps quickly back to full heat when the stove is opened up again. Our stove is a Classic, as sold by a certain well known Midlands chandlery, if that is relevant.

Excel stays in well overnight too, if you have that trouble.

Interseting on the phunacite comments, been using it for years in various stoves with none of the problems described.

In fact despite being the most expensive it is still my fuel of choice

Agreed, that and Coalite were about it as far as smokeless fuel went years ago.