Baby Oil .... hmmmmmmm

Kwacker

Featured Posts

I just read a narrowboat blog that made reference to rubbing Baby Oil on the paintwork. Can anyone please explain this, or am I on entirely the wrong forum.

My (the boat's) paintwork is pretty much in-tact, but a bit dull and tired and if it would help to postpone a repaint for a couple of years I'll buy a gallon.

Before I had my re-paint this is the method I used to keep the old paintwork shiny when polishes no longer were effective. It's a cheap and easy solution, the only drawback is that it needs regular re-application especially after rain.

...and your boat will get fractious and cry if you forget to.

That sounds as if it would also made the gunwales slippery. Doesn't it?

I used it for a couple of years and never slipped once. The gunwales are well anti-slip coated on mine so I don't know if it would be an issue if less so.

...and your boat will get fractious and cry if you forget to.

Well, the boat won't but I might

Edited to add a tip: I decanted the oil into a spray carton to apply it then simply rubbed over with a cloth; very quick, easy and effective.

Edited by rgreg

The old Arthur Daley type S/H car dealers used to rub a car over which had dull paintwork with a Paraffiny rag, and they shone, ''for a day''.

As a youngster i was forced to use Trugel on my hair although i preferred Hypoy90.

The old Arthur Daley type S/H car dealers used to rub a car over which had dull paintwork with a Paraffiny rag, and they shone, ''for a day''.

As a youngster i was forced to use Trugel on my hair although i preferred Hypoy90.

EP90 as hair product? Ewwww! Spent too much time with old Fords and Peugeots doing clutches and gearbox changes without the benefit of a ramp to be keen on EP90 in my lovely locks,

Diesel, WD40 or antispatter spray as deodorant or aftershave is a different matter.....

EP90 as hair product? Ewwww! Spent too much time with old Fords and Peugeots doing clutches and gearbox changes without the benefit of a ramp to be keen on EP90 in my lovely locks,

Diesel, WD40 or antispatter spray as deodorant or aftershave is a different matter.....

But the old Hi-Press SAE 140 gear oil had a lovely Almondy aroma. And a 1d shot of Redex in the ears to clean em out.

If we are talking almonds , rozalex hand cleaner is the kiddy, we used to have it at Carlsberg when I worked there in the late 90s early 2000s. I am sure you could use it on Xmas or wedding cakes in place of marzipan.

You are right about redex for ear cleaning duty.

Early 1990's...I had a car 'dealership'..

Also Heavy plant sales..

We used to call this..'Newness...in a can !!"

Early 1990's...I had a car 'dealership'..

Also Heavy plant sales..

We used to call this..'Newness...in a can !!"

Paraffin? yes and when the newness wore off you applied some more. Cleaning painted steam engines and boilers respond beautifully to the oily paraffiny rag too.

Grubby black plastic bumpers looked brand new and resplendent if rubbed and buffed up with used engine oil.

In Eastern European countries paraffin is still popular for all household cleaning, furniture ect.

Paraffin? yes and when the newness wore off you applied some more. Cleaning painted steam engines and boilers respond beautifully to the oily paraffiny rag too.

Grubby black plastic bumpers looked brand new and resplendent if rubbed and buffed up with used engine oil.

In Eastern European countries paraffin is still popular for all household cleaning, furniture ect.

AHA !!!...

A man after my own heart..

More power to the 'newness in a can '

• Greenie 1

Been using baby oil for years on my paintwork.If its all right on a baby then I dont think it will hurt my "baby".Trick is,not to use too much.You do need to use it regularly,but it only takes 10 minutes to do both cabin sides.Obviously,dont get it on walking serfaces.

Thanks for all the replies, it certainly seems that baby oil does the job on a short term basis. I'm not too sure about the paraffin option, having spent many hours as a teenager cleaning engine parts etc. in the stuff and trying to fire up our ancient blowlamps, I think the smell might get to me.

Since I first posted, I took the advise of "the boater next door" and tried Farecla. I did a couple of square metres of each side yesterday, and was very pleased with how, without too much effort, it livened up the colours .... it even imparted some shine!!

I noticed that it was less effective on the horizontal paintwork (blue), but I now intend to have a serious go at it with a powered polisher and hopefully that will do the trick.