Montgomery Canal

Dalesman

Featured Posts

On our recent trip down this canal we had a few problems with lack of water, we were aground for an hour an a half below Aston No 2 lock, before C&RT managed to let some more water into the canal, on our return up a few days later we grounded again though we were not stuck for long this time.Is this a regular thing on this canal and do they ever cut back the reed growth..?

IMGP1202.jpg

IMGP1204.jpg

Edited by Dalesman

I was going to mention the Droitwich too. And parts of the Worcs and Birmingham are just as bad.

The movement of boats inhibits reed growth. I consider it my duty to put half of the width of Theodora in the reeds and garden my way down the cut.

N

Edited by Theo

Are they really that bad in Raynesway??

Please let me explain. this was when we went down and up the Droitwiches in August this year. dry.gif

N

I forgot to say that we never got weeds on the prop.

Edited by Theo

Please let me explain. this was when we went down and up the Droitwiches in August this year. dry.gif

N

I forgot to say that we never got weeds on the prop.

Lucky you - we picked up a load of weeds and reeds on the Macclesfield just above the Bosley locks flight - hubby was down the weed hatch for an hour :angry:

Been up and down the Monty a number of times in the last few years with no probs until this last time about 6 weeks ago. Same problem as you below Aston No2 lock. The level in the pound was a good deal lower than "normal" and the by wash at No3 lock was not running (water level about 10 inches below the lip) but all the other by-washes were running quite strongly following some heavy rain (surprising that !!!). Studious flushing and "water management" by SWMBO got us through OK with virtually no effect on the pound above. I guess that the pound might be leaking ? The reed this year was the worst we have seen for ages. We did mention it to the Keeper at Frankton (as did lots of others) but wether it got passed up the line Ive not a clue ....... from your experience I guess if it did nothing has been done yet.

On our recent trip down this canal we had a few problems with lack of water, we were aground for an hour an a half below Aston No 2 lock, before C&RT managed to let some more water into the canal, on our return up a few days later we grounded again though we were not stuck for long this time.Is this a regular thing on this canal and do they ever cut back the reed growth..?

Huh! That's not narrow!

Try the Staffs and Worcs stretch near the M54 bridge - solid rock sides!

The section on the Montgomery with reeds is not bad, and it is very short. This is our video from when we were there in early August, skip to 8:30 for the section in question. The rest if the canal I thought was very good indeed for a canal they does not see a lot of traffic, thoroughly enjoyed it.

So do we! :lol:

Dscn3310.jpg

New Dyke, Middle Level - carrying on past the "winding point"

Ah! New Dyke.

We did that last year. We thought that we would wind just by the farm on the bend where it goes from wdish on the map to thin (indicating unnavigable). The farmer and his wife popped out and said that you can't wind there but that we should carry on. With some trepidation we did that getting gradually closer the the railway line. Evnetually I disembarked and walked down to recce. Just before the water dissappeared through a 4ft diameter pipe the drain wdened out under a large willow tree or two. We carried on and turned there. Wot larks!

N

Ah! New Dyke.

We did that last year. We thought that we would wind just by the farm on the bend where it goes from wdish on the map to thin (indicating unnavigable). The farmer and his wife popped out and said that you can't wind there but that we should carry on. With some trepidation we did that getting gradually closer the the railway line. Evnetually I disembarked and walked down to recce. Just before the water dissappeared through a 4ft diameter pipe the drain wdened out under a large willow tree or two. We carried on and turned there. Wot larks!

N

Is this where you wanted to wind and met the farmer? (Top Farm, where New Dyke gets narrower)

Dscn3317.jpg

New Dyke, narrow bit

Dscn3315.jpg

This is the final "winding point"

Dscn3313.jpg

Here the drain splits in two, the east west branch goes under the ECML in a big pipe. The drain also carries on to the north beside the ECML, we got a couple of hundred yards up this, before Mrs TNC decided we should give up.

This is us having a "lark" :P

Dscn2814.jpg

When we got up the river Lark to Kings Staunch...shame about the low footbridge over the remains of the staunch

edited cos I dunno east from the west!

Edited by Neil Arlidge

Don't think mine would stand a chance along there with its 2" draft. I doubt it'd get very far along the Welshpool section either..

We did the Montgomery this summer and we're 2'4" (I assume you meant 2' draft :D)

There was plenty of water then, but it had been raining a lot just beforehand!