Buying boat with BMC 1.8

brickie

Featured Posts

Hi,

Thinking o f buying a narrow boat (1986) with a BMC 1.8 engine.I'm trying to find out more about the condition sevicing etc,but as a general rule is this a good choice of engine ?.I dont no why but i'm a bit put off .

A very good engine. A little noisier and less refined than the latest offerings but a perfectly adequate useable unit.

Tim

I've got the earlier BMC 1.5 engine in my boat and would definitely recommend the BMC 1.5 and 1.8 . Reliable , easy to work on , plenty of spare parts still available and the most popular narrowboat engine a few years ago . Downside is they are probably a bit noisy and the exhaust note isn't as nice as those traditional engines .

We elected to marinise and install a BMC 1.8 when we built our boat in 1997. It has given years of trouble-free service, is what i call a "basic" engine which an amateur like me can service and maintain with a minimum of fuss. I'd probably even make the decision just the same if we were building a new boat today.

Hi,

Thinking o f buying a narrow boat (1986) with a BMC 1.8 engine.I'm trying to find out more about the condition sevicing etc,but as a general rule is this a good choice of engine ?.I dont no why but i'm a bit put off .

It's worth trying to find out the history of the engine. I say this because I have a 1.8 BMC which I bought as "reconditioned", looking all lovely and shiny, from a well known mariniser of these engines. When it developed problems it was clear that the engine had been well and truly used before it was ever put into a boat. However, after a skimmed head, new valves etc., which didn't cost a huge amount, I reckon the engine will probably see me out!

Parts are easy to obtain and they are straightforward to maintain.

However, after a skimmed head, new valves etc., which didn't cost a huge amount, I reckon the engine will probably see me out!

Parts are easy to obtain and they are straightforward to maintain.

May I ask where you got this work done? and a rough idea of costs?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had one in the last boat and was told not to worry about the oil leak as "they all do that". I now know better. I was also told they all need a lot of cranking before firing up. I know that's not true either.

They are noisy though.

I would have another, but I wouldn't tolerate any shortcomings again. There's no reason why a well looked after engine shouldn't have a dry oil tray and start easily. If I was buying one again though I would budget for a shed load of soundproofing...

Risk of opening a can of worms, the 1.5 is a nicer unit, in my view.

Perhaps they are a bit louder than the modern Japanese alternatives but the boat next to me has a kubota and it's far louder and harsher sounding than mine. The reason? Inadequate sound proofing is my guess. I have a cruiser stern and the engine bay is pretty well insulated so i don't find the engine noise intrusive much at all when cruising.