Loading at Braunston

Bod

Featured Posts

The pub car park could also be used if the Chandlers is busy, you would need to moor on their mooring though. I used that to load my canoe onto the car.

Edited cos I thought of the wrong place......at first.

Edited by Stephen Sugg

This coming weekend I have a heavy item to move, from my car to a boat.

Is there a public wharf in Braunston?

Preferably below the locks.

Bod

If you ask nicely at Union Canal Carriers they might let you. When we hired from them you could drive right up alongside their boat to load and unload - just make sure it's not a turnaround day ! Ther are located between the bottom lock and the Marina entrance. Worth a try...

Edited by Pete of Ebor

You can also get a vehicle to within about 20ft of your boat if you moor between the water point/elsan and the road bridge. There is a little path through the bushes from the road footpath to the towpath, along with a space in the bushes to park a couple of vehicles.

Quick and easy and requires no permission from anyone.

Mike

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Or the river Thames at Woolwich reach. Between rush hours the PLA might allow you to use the Woolwich ferries berthing dock, and you could use either the south or north bank ones too. On warm days their is a resident ice cream van parked on the ferry that goes back and forth on it all day flogging ice creams if you should fancy one.

Or the river Thames at Woolwich reach. Between rush hours the PLA might allow you to use the Woolwich ferries berthing dock, and you could use either the south or north bank ones too. On warm days their is a resident ice cream van parked on the ferry that goes back and forth on it all day flogging ice creams if you should fancy one.

That's helpful Bizz. It's about a week or more cruisng time from Braunston though, I seem to remember.

In order to save time, the OP could get their boat lifted out and brought down on a lorry.

But not if they just wanted an ice cream. They can get those in the shop in Braunston.

That's helpful Bizz. It's about a week or more cruisng time from Braunston though, I seem to remember.

In order to save time, the OP could get their boat lifted out and brought down on a lorry.

But not if they just wanted an ice cream. They can get those in the shop in Braunston.

Oh! :blush:

Nice ice cream though (Mr Whippy)

Edited by bizzard

Possibly the only thing we have to thank Thatcher for.

No it isn't, this an urban myth!

Mrs T was responsible for the technique of aerating frozen ice cream as sold in big tubs in supermarkets, in order to increase to volume and consequently reduce the amount of actual ice cream needed to fill the tub. This is why it is sold by volume and not weight.

The two things we have to thank Lady Thatcher for in particular is our kids not longer being forced to drink rancid milk at skool play time (like I was), and breaking the power of the unions to hold the country to ransom.

Mike

Mrs T was responsible for the technique of aerating frozen ice cream as sold in big tubs in supermarkets, in order to increase to volume and consequently reduce the amount of actual ice cream needed to fill the tub. This is why it is sold by volume and not weight.

The two things we have to thank Lady Thatcher for in particular is our kids not longer being forced to drink rancid milk at skool play time (like I was), and breaking the power of the unions to hold the country to ransom.

Mike

Ah! I'm a clot. I see now, i wondered what FTS was on about Mike and just guessed at the similarity between Mrs. T and the Woolwich ferry. :mellow:

ps I was a milk monitor at skool

Edited by bizzard

Ah! I'm a clot. I see now, i wondered what FTS was on about Mike and just guessed at the similarity between Mrs. T and the Woolwich ferry. :mellow:

ps I was a milk monitor at skool

Well, the Woolwich Ferries, being double ended, don't need to turn around... they're also not for turning!

OK. I thought she, and others, were responsible for aerating ice cream in general, including that sold from vans.

Well, the Woolwich Ferries, being double ended, don't need to turn around... they're also not for turning!

Yes very good!

The nurse will be along shortly to check you've taken your medication...

:)

OK. I thought she, and others, were responsible for aerating ice cream in general, including that sold from vans.

You might be right, I haven't checked my facts. Just something I heard discussed on the radio the other day :)

Mike

If it didn't turn around the vehicles would have to either drive on backwards or drive off backwards.

A member here drove his car right on to a boat at Braunston

Who was that.... :rolleyes:

Below the locks has a slightly higher towpath level which maybe an advantage, for things like getting cars on boats........ or the like!

Tis very true and probably as good as anywhere else at braunston.

I have also loaded a ton of coal using Midlands carpark which they took a fairly dim view to. Apparently they do not hold the required paperwork for loading using the whalf (or something) and the bloke who lives opersite likes to get arsey about it.

Daniel