Birmingham

Timx

Featured Posts

"On" the canal would be either the canalside cafe by Worcester Bar or the Malthouse by the NIA which was struggling earlier in the year.

Near the canal, behind the ICC is the prince of Wales which is a decent watering hole.

I suppose there's Penny Blacks in the Mailbox too; more trendy wine bar with real bear than a pub per se.

We had several good beers and some excellent cheap food at the Malthouse this year; the benefit is that if the weather is good enough that you can sit outside on the balcony, you have continuous entertainment with a grandstand view of people performing some "interesting" manoeuvres at the junction

I'd forgotten about the Tap! A pub that sadly went out of favour when the elfin safety reports of the previous owner pumping sewerage that had leaked into his cellar directly into the cut went public... much better now though.

The Canalside Cafe has 3 to 4 real ales on and nice food and you can sit outside and watch the boating action.

They're a friendly lot in the Tap & Spile, but you could be anywhere, there is nowhere to sit outside or bars with a good view of the canal.

:cheers:

The Canalside Cafe has 3 to 4 real ales on and nice food and you can sit outside and watch the boating action.

They're a friendly lot in the Tap & Spile, but you could be anywhere, there is nowhere to sit outside or bars with a good view of the canal.

:cheers:

Thanks for all answers, went to the worcester for coffee and cake after walking through the shopping centre and had a few pints at the junction,then got a trip boat out and back for an hour, around the basin is picturesque and a credit to the community'but the surrounding area leading in is very very bad and underfunded'what a pity.The infrastructure remains good, of the canal'but the surrounding area is ugly and put me off thinking of boating here to what is a lovely basin area.

Thanks for all answers, went to the worcester for coffee and cake after walking through the shopping centre and had a few pints at the junction,then got a trip boat out and back for an hour, around the basin is picturesque and a credit to the community'but the surrounding area leading in is very very bad and underfunded'what a pity.The infrastructure remains good, of the canal'but the surrounding area is ugly and put me off thinking of boating here to what is a lovely basin area.

Can't let that pass unremarked. If you just want 'picturesque' why come to an industrial area? Is all of Merseyside 'picturesque'? Much good work has been done to preserve our canal heritage and much remains to be done but talking down the area is unhelpful to say the least. To those who might be put off cruising around Brum and the surrounding area by reading your post I can only say "come and give it a try". The local canal and industrial history is endlessly fascinating and the natives are friendly for the most part - except when you get their dander up by calling their home city "ugly".

I presume that was the trip boat the went down the New Main Line and round the Icknield Port Loop and back. The "island" formed by the loop has been cleared for some time, and is earmarked for redevelopment, so that is a bit grim true.

But as you go down the New and Old Main Line you are going through the history of the industrial revolution, carry on to Smethwick and you pass the site of Boulton and Watt's steam engine factory, how cool is that! If you want open fields and country side the the Main Line is not the place to find that, but the northern BCN is though! Don't be put off by it, enjoy it for what is it.

Is the Flapper & Firkin still going?

It used to be a regular haunt of mine when I was living in Brum, been to some really good gigs there (and some bloody awful ones, but that goes with the territory of supporting the local live music scene).

I can also remember at least one particularly annoying little oik who didn't know when to shut up being dealt with by a large biker - he was hoisted above head height and thrown over the railings and into the cut. Normally I'd disapprove of such action, but in this case the round of applause from the whole beer garden would suggest that he rather deserved it.

Can't let that pass unremarked. If you just want 'picturesque' why come to an industrial area? Is all of Merseyside 'picturesque'? Much good work has been done to preserve our canal heritage and much remains to be done but talking down the area is unhelpful to say the least. To those who might be put off cruising around Brum and the surrounding area by reading your post I can only say "come and give it a try". The local canal and industrial history is endlessly fascinating and the natives are friendly for the most part - except when you get their dander up by calling their home city "ugly".

8017903281_be02b78d9f.jpg

Bath to Bristol from Hilperton2012 Sept 138 by Timore3, on Flickr

8017921112_c9f33cba8e.jpg

Bath to Bristol from Hilperton2012 Sept 135 by Timore3, on Flickr

8017890831_3224c253b5.jpg

Bath to Bristol from Hilperton2012 Sept 137 by Timore3, on Flickr

Had a great w/e in Brum,not been b4,and found gas st basin great.very pretty and well worth the visit.The trip boat just took you in a circular route for an hour,all I'm remarking on is what I saw,and after leaving the basin area, it was all ugly,couldnt wait for the trip to end,maybe a historical commentary would of made it interesting, but as a pleasant on the eye experience it was'nt.It put me personally off wanting to travel in by boat,and along with the apparent lack of mooring for 24 to 48hr stays in a nice area,I would prefer to go other places.The basin was the only nice place I could see,and a lot of the buildings are carbuncles, badly planned,the traffic through the centre is a night mare.Enjoyed it once but wouldnt go again.We stayed in the top floor of the Radisson so had good views of the panorama,but just my opinion.

One man's ugly is a another man's industrial heritage. I recall the area arouhd Albert Dock being spectacularly derelict for some years, now it's well worth a visit, but unless things have moved on the approach is via a mile or two of boarded up houses. Conversely there are those that think Gas Street was a better place before it was redeveloped.

Edited by twbm

To be honest, I prefer central Birmingham over the otherwise identikit miles of rural canals. Derelict and half-demolished buildings offer a chance to see how they were made; cleared ground makes me wonder what was there before; that litter-covered wharf was built before Victoria took the throne... etc.

To be honest, I prefer central Birmingham over the otherwise identikit miles of rural canals. Derelict and half-demolished buildings offer a chance to see how they were made; cleared ground makes me wonder what was there before; that litter-covered wharf was built before Victoria took the throne... etc.

I partly agree. I actually do like rural canals and don't find them to be "identikit". But going through an industrial area gives a sense of history, and of the original purpose of the canals, and a post-industrial scene (such as the closed-down canalside factories) evokes thoughts of the people who built them, the people who laboured there, the boats which transported their goods.

So, FTS, either you and I have vivid imaginations and enquiring minds, or we're a bit "sad".

That said, I'd probably rather be going up the Napton flight than going past the bog factory at Armitage (or is it Rugeley?)

Edited by Athy

and along with the apparent lack of mooring for 24 to 48hr stays in a nice area,I would prefer to go other places.The basin was the only nice place I could see,and a lot of the buildings are carbuncles, badly planned,the traffic through the centre is a night mare.Enjoyed it once but wouldnt go again.We stayed in the top floor of the Radisson so had good views of the panorama,but just my opinion.

Can't agree at all with this! We love taking the boat to Brum.

Never had a problem with finding a mooring, although some of the moorings are a little obscure and as for traffic, you can walk from the canal at Worcester Bar to the markets at the other end of the city 'traffic free'.

Perhaps to appreciate the Birmingham canals properly you need to get there by boat?

SAM

BCN Challenge 2012 veteran (looking forward to 2013!)

Edited by Victor Vectis