How does 'breasting up' work?

Wild Is The Wind

Featured Posts

Check the boat you are breasting up to is happy for you to do so,

Make sure the navigation is wide enough to do so,

get fenders down between you

have the easiest 'climb over' boat next to the towpath.

Tie up to 'T's and stern dollies.

Be gentle coming in to the boat you're going to tie to!

Respect their boat and their privacy,

Crack open the beer with them!

Check the boat you are breasting up to is happy for you to do so,

Make sure the navigation is wide enough to do so,

get fenders down between you

have the easiest 'climb over' boat next to the towpath.

Tie up to 'T's and stern dollies.

Be gentle coming in to the boat you're going to tie to!

Respect their boat and their privacy,

Crack open the beer with them!

If you are going to go through the locks breasted up then I would make sure that the fenders that you are using are really thin or don't use them.

If there is to be a steerer on each boat then decide who is going to be in charge and agree on the meaning of such things as "slow ahead", "dead slow ahead".

Make sure that only the steerer in charge uses the tiller.

Don't get so involved with chatting that you end up on the cill.

It's a very efficient way of moving two boats through wide locks and great fun when you meet another boat with a reasonably laid back attitude. I would tend to avoid breasting up with very shiny and precious boats unless they suggested it first.

I arrived at the top of Hatton single handing and as luck would have it found another single hander waiting to go down. That made both our lives much easier! Boat's name was Pipistrelle (Sp?) Anyone seen her around?

Nick

Adding to Ally's list; if they're on mooring pins instead of something more solid, consider taking your own lines past their boat to your own pins - either instead of or in addition to tying to the other boat.

Very wise, then if the boat next to the bank happens to sink it won't take your boat down with it. :mellow:

Ideally breast to a same length or slightly longer boat with fenders between.

Take your fore and aft lines to your own securing points (or shared rings) on canal bank.

If possible take spring lines (front of your boat to aft of other and vice versa) to stop back/forward surge from passing boats.

Many thanks for this. Being new to boating i'm finding all the advice on the forum very helpful. I've learnt its always good to think ahead - though it wont be possible to cover every eventuality. Every trip is an adventure in some way :)

Being in a widebeam I doubt the opportunity will arise often, but I did have somebody moor next to me overnight early in the year.

Lock sharing will definitely not be possible!

I saw Pipistrelle at Cowley earlier in the year. A lovely boat and owner.

Many thanks for this. Being new to boating i'm finding all the advice on the forum very helpful. I've learnt its always good to think ahead - though it wont be possible to cover every eventuality. Every trip is an adventure in some way :)

Being in a widebeam I doubt the opportunity will arise often, but I did have somebody moor next to me overnight early in the year.

The other responses are the way to go, sorry i wasn't more helpful, i'm on G&T at the mo.

Happy boating

Regs Bizzard. :cheers:

Afaik you shouldn't raft up with a widebeam on some canals, because it restricts navigation. Lots of people do it though, probably becsuse they don't realise it.

Did the boat Pipistrelle have a bat painted on the side?

That one probably belongs to a cricketer.

There was a Pipistrelle which came each year to the Cropredy Festival, single-handing, pleasant young lady owner whom I addressed as "Miss Bat", but she still spoke to me. Didn't see her or the boat this year though.

That one probably belongs to a cricketer.

There was a Pipistrelle which came each year to the Cropredy Festival, single-handing, pleasant young lady owner whom I addressed as "Miss Bat", but she still spoke to me. Didn't see her or the boat this year though.

If she was a bat she mightn't have seen you either.

• Greenie 1

If you'd called her "Old Bat", then you might have got a different reaction.