latest on lockies

Angela C

Featured Posts

Lockies have been told (no confrontation with boater's)

License it or no passage, doesn't exist any moor.

Hi.

I am not sure which waterway you are referring to but on the Thames the lockies will let an unlicenced boat through and issue a notice to the user to licence the boat or bums will be kicked. I have spoken to a lockie on the Thames with regards to this practice and been told that it is not his job to enforce licencing, just take the details.

I suppose this is good for the lockies personal safety as some people could cut up a bit nasty and the locks are often in remote areas.

Harnser.

Hi.

I have spoken to a lockie on the Thames with regards to this practice and been told that it is not his job to enforce licencing, just take the details.

Harnser.

But the Thames lockies sell/issue visitor licenses. Is the lockie you spoke to saying that there's no need to buy one?

But the Thames lockies sell/issue visitor licenses. Is the lockie you spoke to saying that there's no need to buy one?

Unless you have cash or a cheque book most Thames lockies can't take the payment, only a few have card facilities.

Hi.

I am not sure which waterway you are referring to but on the Thames the lockies will let an unlicenced boat through and issue a notice to the user to licence the boat or bums will be kicked. I have spoken to a lockie on the Thames with regards to this practice and been told that it is not his job to enforce licencing, just take the details.

I suppose this is good for the lockies personal safety as some people could cut up a bit nasty and the locks are often in remote areas.

Harnser.

This has always been the case on the Thames. A lock keeper cannot refuse passage to a vessel. He can only report it as being unlicensed.

He can call an 'Inspector' if he believes the the vessel/master of the vessel is unsafe to navigate. An Inspector can stop a vessel navigating if he believes that the said vessel could be a hazard to navigation.

The Thames is fraught with a lot of ancient rights regarding navigation etc. However, I believe a recent clean up of the various rules and regulations took care of a lot of these.

If you don't have a Thames license, you can refuse to purchase a visitors license.

However, you will be reported for navigating without a licence. This will include a formal caution.

No, that is not what I am saying. There is a need to buy a licence, if you refuse to buy a licence at a lock that issues temporary licences or pass through any other lock your details will be taken and passed on to the enforcement section of the EA.

By all accounts the Thames is a public right of way and nobody can stop you from using it but the vessel owner must pay for a licence for passage and in my opinion rightly so.

Harnser.

There is a need to buy a licence, if you refuse to buy a licence at a lock that issues temporary licences or pass through any other lock your details will be taken and passed on to the enforcement section of the EA.

Harnser.

Just to clarify. All permanent Lock keepers are PACE (Police&Criminal Evidence) trained. Any boat arriving at a Thames lock without a licence may buy a visitors license if the are not permanently moored on the River. If unlicenced boats that ARE Thames based present themselves at a lock, they will be interviewed under caution by the lockkeeper. This also appies in the case of visiting boats that refuse to purchase a license. This interview under caution is then passed via the local office to the legal department and is used as supporting evidence for prosecution, that's how it works. No exceptions..

Just to clarify. All permanent Lock keepers are PACE (Police&Criminal Evidence) trained. Any boat arriving at a Thames lock without a licence may buy a visitors license if the are not permanently moored on the River. If unlicenced boats that ARE Thames based present themselves at a lock, they will be interviewed under caution by the lockkeeper. This also appies in the case of visiting boats that refuse to purchase a license. This interview under caution is then passed via the local office to the legal department and is used as supporting evidence for prosecution, that's how it works. No exceptions..

Quite so but that caution says that you are not obliged to say anything, so what happens if they just say 'bugger off, let me through' & the boat has no name or number?

Quite so but that caution says that you are not obliged to say anything, so what happens if they just say 'bugger off, let me through' & the boat has no name or number?

Quite within your rights to do just that!! You would however have to deal with the consequences of that action, and no I'm not prepared to go into details ! :unsure:

Anything that you do not say that you later rely on in yourdefence may not be taken into account....

From recollection there are patrol boats on the Thames which will get you before you can escape onto an adjoining canal.

Quite within your rights to do just that!! You would however have to deal with the consequences of that action, and no I'm not prepared to go into details ! :unsure:

With great respect, you went into fair detail in your previous post, so why not with my question?

From recollection there are patrol boats on the Thames which will get you before you can escape onto an adjoining canal.

So do the crew of the patrol boats have extra powers that the lockies do not?

Thanks for the clarification The Lockie. Most interesting.

Harnser.

Hmmm - presumably and I might be being a bit controversial here, because you don't know what the consequences are...

following the logic of the previous postings about PACE and a 'no comment' interview if you did refuse to disclose any details or buy a licence there'd be no discernible consequences unless an inspector or the rozza's were called and by the time they'd arrive you'd be off down the river although wouldn't be hard to intercept you at the next lock....

I wonder if there is a legal obligation to provide your name and address if requested - There's quite a bit of strange law around public transport and not having the right ticket etc... but one thing thats always an offence is to give false details. I suppose their might be something along those lines so yes you could refuse to buy licences and answer questions but might be obliged to provide a name and address - way beyond my knowledge though.