Fuel Consumption

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

We have a Beta JD3 which is a modern but slow revving engine so has good fuel consumption.

We use 0.9 litres/hour no matter what. We spend the summers cruising extensively, moving almost every day. In winter we do the dreaded "bridge hopping" but run the engine almost every day to charge the batteries and make hot water (and put a lot of heat into the boat).

We put between 1000 and 1500 hours on the engine each year.

This could be reduced by:

Less moving in the summer and big solar panels.

Much bigger batteries to allow running every other day in the winter.

A generator to use nasty dangerous petrol instead of diesel.

We know a boat that only runs the engine once every two weeks but that's not the lifestyle for us, even though we are a bit envious.

Hope this is of some help.

............Dave

We have a Beta JD3 which is a modern but slow revving engine so has good fuel consumption.

We use 0.9 litres/hour no matter what. We spend the summers cruising extensively, moving almost every day. In winter we do the dreaded "bridge hopping" but run the engine almost every day to charge the batteries and make hot water (and put a lot of heat into the boat).

We put between 1000 and 1500 hours on the engine each year.

This could be reduced by:

Less moving in the summer and big solar panels.

Much bigger batteries to allow running every other day in the winter.

A generator to use nasty dangerous petrol instead of diesel.

We know a boat that only runs the engine once every two weeks but that's not the lifestyle for us, even though we are a bit envious.

Hope this is of some help.

............Dave

Dave

Thank you for your reply, my response was NOT to you but to an earlier post which the boards seems to have split and put your posting in the middle of. Yours is much the type of reply that I was looking for, thanks again.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

I seem to have missed the bit where I asked anyone to accurately calculate MY fuel consumption, the original question asked what others consumption was. Since we seem to have moved from discussion to abuse (your first move) I now realise what a pendantic arse you are.

A straighforward answer along the lines of "I am a continuous cruiser and often travel about 80 hours a month" would have sufficed rather than the pompous responses some seem to have given here. There have been notable exceptions for which I am grateful.

Dave

Thank you for your reply, my response was NOT to you but to an earlier post which the boards seems to have split and put your posting in the middle of. Yours is much the type of reply that I was looking for, thanks again.

OK - 1 litre a hour..good enough?

Dave

Thanks, I did realise that

Any mention of continuous cruising does rather wind up a section of this forum, don't let it get to you.

There are a lot of good CC'ers here and I suspect some very good bridge hoppers too.

It is very hard to cost any aspect of boating but if I look back over the figures for the last few years "maintenance" is always more than fuel even though I do it all myself.

...........Dave

So why are you answering the question at all then, it was addressed "...to those of you who continuous cruise...".

I had been warned that there was animosity towards Continuous Cruisers but didn't believe it, I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

Because your question has nothing to do with continuous cruising...why are you suggesting such a ridiculous argument..?

Thanks, I did realise that

Any mention of continuous cruising does rather wind up a section of this forum, don't let it get to you.

There are a lot of good CC'ers here and I suspect some very good bridge hoppers too.

It is very hard to cost any aspect of boating but if I look back over the figures for the last few years "maintenance" is always more than fuel even though I do it all myself.

...........Dave

Yes but not this section...

So why are you (not) answering the question at all then, it was addressed "...to those of you who continuous cruise...".

I had been warned that there was animosity towards Continuous Cruisers but didn't believe it, I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

Well as you have been a member for 5 years you should have a good idea who is saying what. I know continus crusers who will do 3 hrs travelling every day, I know some that do that in a month. Some use candles and gas fridges, others run their engines for 4 hrs every day to charge their batteries. I am sure after 5 years you know them as well.

I have noticed some of the good CC'ers are not online that often. (Perhaps boating insted of hanging in forums :rolleyes: ) Give them a few days, a week and they will probably be more sharing.

I'm boat less. But I think my future mileage will depend more on my domestic needs rather than how far I want to go, or for how long. If my batteries need 4 hours topping up, need to do the washing up, and load the washer I'll just go on qruising until have done what I need and moor where ever I might be. Then stay there until I need power and warm water again. I might see things I wouldn't if I lived after any calculations. Also, on a tight budget. I would need to do do several things at once while the engine is running anyway.

All within the regulations for CC'ing of course. Which I think are very generous.

Edited by Caprifool

On a trip of 510.3nm our lumpy water boat (with twin 6 cylinder volvo's) used 1475 litres for 36.3 engine hours.

Averages :

speed 14 knts

1.57 nm / gallon

fuel cost 21p/litre

3150rpm gave 22 knts

Edit - forgot the 'speeding ticket'

Cruising down Gareloch at about 25knts and saw several little rubber boats behind (but catching up) they eventually caught us up - they were manned by soldiers (Navy ?) with balacalavas and guns - forced us to stop.

They informed us there was a speed limit due to the submarine 'pens' and the terrorist threat. Having pointed out that there were no notations on the charts, or the almanac to that effect they eventually let us go with a warning and taking of details.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

And ARE you a Continuous Cruiser?

I cannot understand why you are getting so wound up by the continuous cruiser aspect. Fuel consumptuion on our boat does not vary that much whether we have been cruising, or whether we have been tied up all winter just running the engine to re-charge the batteries. We have a BMC 1.5 and our annual average is around 1.2 litres per hour, the only exception being on the River Thames where consumption increases to about 1.5 litres per hour, but of cours we we are travelling faster, so miles per litre are probably similar to that achieved on the canals.

Does that help?

Edited by David Schweizer

Vagabond

My original answer was of no use to you whatsoever, I do know that my engine (Beat 43) and my generator (Cummins Onan 7Kw) both use about 1.2 litres per hour.

My figure was a guesstimate and thinking about it was totally wrong.

I am not going to do a true calculation as the answer may be to frightening.:(

When the tank(s) are low I fill them, if I have the money.

I am not the average CCer, whatever that is, sometimes we move every day, for various number of hours, sometimes we do not move for two weeks but we do run the generator everyday

It is entirely up to you, how you decide to use your boat, as said by Tim (Mrsmelly) no two boaters use of diesel is the same.

Edit: big fimgers

Edited by bottle

Now that some of the heat seems to have gone from this thread, from those that have given the sensible answers, I would guess that an initial budget of £120 to £140 per month for fuel should probably cover what would seem to be 'average' usage. That was all that I was looking for really, I don't really get why such a simple question should generate so much heat!

The 'average' motorist in the UK travels about 10,000 miles per year. Within that average there are some who travel 80,000 miles and some who travel 2,000 miles but if I were buying a car as a newcomer it would seem reasonable to budget for the 'average' and adjust accordingly. Without knowing what mileage any motorist travels it would not be possible to work out any sort of average, and the more (sensible) replies you get the more accurate will be the average. Yes there may well be CC'ers who travel 9 hourse every day 7 days a week but if the majority amble around at about 4 or 5 hours every couple of days then the extremes will be swallowed up in the average.

Whilst the tale about 'cruising' down the Gareloch at 25 knots (who calls that 'cruising' most people would call that blasting!) may be very interesting it has little to do with the vast majority of canal users, or is the speed limit higher than I realised :help:

For those who have submitted the helpful answers I would thank you

Now that some of the heat seems to have gone from this thread, from those that have given the sensible answers, I would guess that an initial budget of £120 to £140 per month for fuel should probably cover what would seem to be 'average' usage. That was all that I was looking for really, I don't really get why such a simple question should generate so much heat!

But what you seem to be missing is how the "average" usage is going to relate to you. you might be overestimating your usage, and so putting money aside unnecessarily which could have been put to better use. Or, you might be grossly underbudgeting which leads to disaster. This is why everyone has been saying that what you are asking is meaningless unless you give more information about what you plan to do. Some CCers use next to nothing, others spend £250 a month. What will your usage be?

I am sorry but I believe you are a wind up merchant. I as a long time liveaboard of many years standing can tell you that no two boats or boaters are the same. Your question is impossible to answer in any meaningfull way without some basic information. Just for your info Keith ( Bottle ) has an all electric gas free boat which is his choice but that also makes his figures irrelevant as to " average " diesel consumption ;)

Tim

It's possible he works for HMRC. :blush:

Whilst the tale about 'cruising' down the Gareloch at 25 knots (who calls that 'cruising' most people would call that blasting!) may be very interesting it has little to do with the vast majority of canal users, or is the speed limit higher than I realised :help:

No that is definatley cruising.

As everyone else seems to be giving you figures you dont want I shall add ours to the mix. :cheers:

For the last four years our average fuel consumption per year has been fairly consistent at 5mpg. That includes pottering about on canals and rivers, tidal and estuary cruising and coastal cruising. On the canals we pull closer to 7.5mpg on the coast we pull closer to 3mpg.