Volunteer Lock Watchers

Tuscan

Featured Posts

To me it is much safere to handbrake the paddle than to try and back wind a heavy paddle when I was a kid I got hit by the lock handle trying to back wind and unless the paddle won't go down I never use my lock handle

It is, in my view, actually not that easy for a novice to control the fall of the twinned Grand Union top gate paddles by hand, though. They are un-geared, and it takes a lot of friction applied if they are not to crash down. On a wet day, I'd say it is nigh impossible for most people to control the fall.

People also try it with the ground paddles, which, because there is only the squared spindle available, is even harder, and many end up letting them tumble under nearly full weight.

Now of course "traditionally" boatmen always just let them fall, making no attempt to slow them, and they didn't break all the time. But the practice (rightly or wrongly) is now frowned on.

Personally I regularly brake the geared bottom paddles by hand, but I think for most people winding down GU top paddles (gate or ground) is probably not that practical for many leisure boaters.

I just wanted to say that here at Stonebridge in north east london (where us cc'rs have been penned in for Olympics) we have a volunteer one day a week). He is lovely and knowlegable.. at least I think so. He seems properly clued up and even asked me when I was coming back from toilet dumping if the elsan was working properly and when I said it wasnt he offered that he'd rung the maintenance people and greeted them upon their arrival.

Aside from opening and closing the electric lock for any and all he's been a pleasure to have around.

Likewise the volunteer at Victoria Park prior to Olympic shuffle - who VERY patiently showed me two useful new knots for tying up.

My experience has been really positive. Sorry not everyone's has!

• Greenie 1

Just to express a different view, Judi and I are volunteer lock keepers on the non tidal Trent and will be working the locks between Holme Lock and Gunthorpe. These are all powered locks operated by hydraulic motors from a central cabin by the lock operator, or at indivhdual ends after hours by boaters. We will cover for days off for the seasonal paid staff who operate the locks during 9 months of the year. I was concerned thT we would not be putting anybody out of a job. I can say that I am told that they would have normally pulled bank staff in to do this if there were no volunteers to do it. With us there the bank staff can carry on with their normal maintenance work etc.

We do exactly the same work as the seasonal staff would do, after suitable training. Supervise the area around the lock, operate the lock, clean the toilets, mow the grass (when trained), interact with customers, operate the VHF radio passing on boat movements to the next lock, recording boat movements, etc.

The training is thorough. We have done 3 full days so far and have a few more to go before we are signed off to do a shift on our own not under supervision. Our trainer said we have already had more training than he had when he started

I think it shows that CaRT are taking seriously volunteer training, despite what others here think. Every volunteer coulmd have a different role and may have their own physical limitations. Just because they are there does not mean they are lock keepers. They could be any one of the volunteer types possibly on the Education, heritage museum side of the organisation.

But even saying that, if I saw someone struggling with a lock gate I would help whatever.

To me it is much safere to handbrake the paddle than to try and back wind a heavy paddle when I was a kid I got hit by the lock handle trying to back wind and unless the paddle won't go down I never use my lock handle

The official method is to wind down all paddles, ensuring that the windlass is correctly placed on the spindle, before the ratchet is lifted. As part of the volunteer training they are all taught this, and when they have their H&S test, they would fail for hand braking. The reason is to make sure the paddle does not hit the bottom of the frame and then either shatter or push the frame out. The reason of this is that if someone sees a lock keeper hand braking, they may be tempted to try this and get it wrong, - as has probably happened recently at both Marple and Diggle, the result being a broken paddle/frame and an unnecessary stoppage whilst the broken paddle is repaired. Not all paddles have spindles which can be easily hand braked, unless your a real member of the RTBC, and have hands of iron It is known to go on but it is not encouraged, Volunteers are ask to stop people doing inappropriate activities, such as this. They do not have any powers to stop you, but should explain why you should not be doing it. Its all about enabling the canal to cope with all its heavy usage, and allowing everyone to get pleasure.

Re the original post. I too occasionally struggle with closing a gate and if the skipper is not in a position to get off and help me and there is someone standing nearby, I wouldn't hesitate to ask if they would mind adding their weight to the beam. I have never had a refusal yet!

haggis

This may or may not be applicable in the OP's case, but I believe it's the case that whereas individuals can take actions in their own right without consideration of the possible impact of their actions on anyone else, once that individual carries out actions on behalf of a corporate body, be that paid or voluntarily, then the rules and policies of that body apply. The casual passing boater can help as they please (and those they help should be aware that if it all goes horribly wrong, they are unlikely to have laibility insurance to cover their well meant cock up) whereas the volunteer may well have been instructed to observe and advise, not lay hands on, so if there is an issue lability does not fall to the organisation they represent.

I seem to recall in a previous Volunteer thread, reference was made to how one might sue the volunteers. If I read that in relation to Trust members helping other boaters at locks, the next Council meeting would have an item proposing a formal policy was that we didn't do it any more.

Edited by twbm

We are all different in opinion when it comes to assistance at locks - some of us would rather do it all, some would appreciate help if available.

Our volunteers are damned if they do and damned if they don't !! We should support them in whatever they are being expected to do and be grateful that they give their time.

I do have to ask why as you know you wife finds it so hard to operate a lock that you let her ashore to do the task, and don't do the job yourself and leave her to do the easier job of steering.

Probably for the same reason as my wife does the lock work. Because she prefers to. Besides, that particular gate is a pig to close, even for a big guy like me.

A tad confrontational for a new member aren't you?

It is, in my view, actually not that easy for a novice to control the fall of the twinned Grand Union top gate paddles by hand, though. They are un-geared, and it takes a lot of friction applied if they are not to crash down. On a wet day, I'd say it is nigh impossible for most people to control the fall.

A pair of leather gloves makes it easy to control paddles by hand, even ground paddles and in the wet. They also give extra security when climbing slimy lock ladders. Only trouble is I have to take them off when unlocking paddles. I've left 3 pairs behind in the last year, so if you've found a pair of (cheap) work gloves lying at a lock, they're probably mine.

A tad confrontational for a new member aren't you?

As Ian's been a member for 3 years how long is it before one becomes an "old member"?

Edited due to a complete breakdown in maths ability

Edited by carlt

As Ian's been a member for 3 years ho long before one becomes an "old member"?

Edited due to a complete breakdown in maths ability

How many posts has he made? It says

on my screen

Richard

Thanks Carl. I wonder what this screen is up to?

Richard

Yes I've not noticed until recently that some of the 'post numbers' are displaying like that - what's going on?

just walked the dogs passed the volunteer lock keeper on the Braunston flight who had walked ahead of the two boats above, winding both paddles up and opening gates getting lock ready for them. Didnt like to tell him that he was only a "keeper" and not an "operator". Nice guy bringing real benefit to the two boats above. Like real life it takes all sorts.

I do have to ask why as you know you wife finds it so hard to operate a lock that you let her ashore to do the task, and don't do the job yourself and leave her to do the easier job of steering.

Ever considered that she might not LIKE steering the boat? Especially through locks? My wife won't & I've put up with an awful lot of "You've got it easy, haven't you mate!" jibes over the years. I love to do lock work, but unless I boat with someone to help with the steering, I rarely get the opportunity. :(

Edited by Spuds
  • Greenie 1

Ever considered that she might not LIKE steering the boat? Especially through locks? My wife won't & I've put up with an awful lot of "You've got it easy, haven't you mate!" jibes over the years. I love to do lock work, but unless I boat with someone to help with the steering, I rarely get the opportunity. :(

Really? If I'm steering I usually do at least one paddle and perhaps a gate on most locks

Richard

Thanks Carl. I wonder what this screen is up to?

Richard

Try upgrading your browser to its latest version, Richard. I had display problems recently on my footie forum & thats what cured it for me. The Browser's auto update doesn't always update everything on earlier versions.

Really? If I'm steering I usually do at least one paddle and perhaps a gate on most locks

Richard

Yeah, me too, especialy when locking down, with the top gates which always seem to swing open no matter how carefully I enter. Yes, we DO try to use a single gate & I KNOW thats an issue for some, but we find it more efficient & NO, I don't bash everything doing that, I hardly scrape a thing.

Sorry, that last bit was for those I just know will give me some stick. Just to sprinkle a little accelerant onto their barbie, I also don't use any ropes in locks or cruise with side fenders attached.

Spot on.

Sometimes if I know that a lock is going to be hard work I'll step off the boat with a line and go up the steps, strapping it to a bollard as it enters the lock. I can then help with the gates. However, this won't work on the top lock at Buckby for reasons that Alton has outlined. It also won't work if there's a footbridge across the lock, which also happens on this flight, because you can't pass the line under the bridge and retrieve it in order to stop the boat.

Therefore all help with the gates at Buckby is gratefully received.

Mind you, I'm not so keen with people helping with the gate paddles. Not because they open them too quickly, but because they wait, quite unnecessarily in our case, for the lock to be half filled before winding them up at an agonisingly slow speed. I accept that if I'm sharing a lock with someone other than our own butty, I've just got to be patient.

One of the volunteers did ask a crew member to wait in this way while our pair were in a lock recently. We just politely pointed out that our method is perfectly safe for us, thank you, and carried on as usual.

Yes I've not noticed until recently that some of the 'post numbers' are displaying like that - what's going on?

Doohhhh..

Try control and -

It's the size of the font.