Thief

steve hayes

Featured Posts

Some low life B'stard stole one of our folding directors chairs off the mooring yesterday afternoon. :angry:

We had a quick trip the other end of the mooring to get water and when we got back 45 minutes later it had gone.

Managed to track down all of the boats that passed us and spoke to them all, can't prove it but I am certain it was one particular boat, another boater!!!! who steals from their own. :angry: :angry: :angry:

It is not the £25 for the seat, it is the fact that the low life thinks it is OK to take it.

B'stards.

Some low life B'stard stole one of our folding directors chairs off the mooring yesterday afternoon. :angry:

We had a quick trip the other end of the mooring to get water and when we got back 45 minutes later it had gone.

Managed to track down all of the boats that passed us and spoke to them all, can't prove it but I am certain it was one particular boat, another boater!!!! who steals from their own. :angry: :angry: :angry:

It is not the £25 for the seat, it is the fact that the low life thinks it is OK to take it.

B'stards.

T'was windy yesterday, are you sure it's not in the cut...

Not down in the Midlands..

Being wooden it would have been floating and it sure as hell wasn't :(

Then yes - disappointing to say the least that another boater would steal something from you...

There are boaters and those that just live on boats...

Aye - - we've had a number of items stolen over the last couple of years, and have received the sage advice from a couple of (unrelated) folks.......

Apparently "our boat looks so well kept (expensive?) that the thieves reckon we can afford to have things nicked"

Whilst I don't assume that may be the majority opinion, it's a damnably sad reflection of the world we live in...........

There are boaters and those that just live on boats...

Boaters are just people, good and bad.

Tim

Speaking as an ex-liveaboard of some almost 10 years, my humble opinion is that owning and/or living on a boat does not make one a boater. Being a boater is a way-of-life that does not involve stealing from anybody fellow boater or no.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I have learned that if i am stupid enough to leave things out unattended on the boat never mind the bank they will likely go for a walk pretty quickly , i try now not to be lazy complacent or whatever and at least try to make an effort to keep stuff a bit secure.

It is bloody annoying-perhaps I have been lucky but I have lost very little to fellow boaters and I do tend to leave an awful lot laying about.Van wide open, full of tools etc.

I have however had my fair share of stuff stolen-just usually by other people I sadly have the misfortune to know.

I have learned that if i am stupid enough to leave things out unattended on the boat never mind the bank they will likely go for a walk pretty quickly , i try now not to be lazy complacent or whatever and at least try to make an effort to keep stuff a bit secure.

Agreed - we learned the hard way with the loss of two bicycles (one missing a pedal which we though would never be taken!). Bolt it down or be prepared to lose it is a sad fact of life.

I know it always seems doubly harsh when it's a fellow boater but there's bad 'uns in amongst us just like every walk of life.

I had the front and rear fenders (including the fittings) stolen from my boat on the River Wey (Addlestone) in October last year very early one Sunday morning. The local mooring warden said he saw someone alongside my boat but it looked as if he was down the weedhatch. Needless to say the warden did nothing. Can anyone think of a way to secure fenders?

When I got to work today there was a pushbike chained to a tree, i opened up the shop, sorted the dogs out and decided to give the puppy a last chance for a wee, as i left the shop I noticed the cycle had been twisted about and dumped in a mess on the ground still chained to the tree. Could have only been 5 minutes at the very very maximum more like 3 minutes. 0730 seems a little early for a scrote attack, even in Basingstoke!

Use a padlock instead of a shackle?

Boltcutters - would make removing them easy I think. I really don't think there is an answer and it does seem quite 'easy' to remove the 'D' shackles. I just hope it is a 'one off' and that the fenders don't fit his boat!!

I used to be moored just past Hillmorton Locks, the very first time we moved it there, it took 4 very long days from Wolverhampton and we moored in the wrong place then moved it by the ropes. Left a windlass, mooring pin, makeshift mooring pin (piece of unistrut), and hammer on the towpath. Managed to fall asleep while waiting for a lift home for 20 minutes and guess what the entire lot was gone. Wouldn't mind but the unistrut was at least 18 inches in the ground - welcome to it if they're that desperate!!!

Also had a broken side panel once so covered it over with a tarp and some house bricks, on the canal facing side not towpath. Came back two days later and both the tarp and the bricks were missing! Could not believe it

Some people just steal from others. That includes people walking down the towpath and people who just live on boats - those often looked down on with contempt by many on this forum. However, I'm afraid boaters aren't this harmonius community that some wish to imagine and "real boaters" aren't immune from nicking stuff too. Although I'll admit that theft is probably less likely to come from boaters, no particular section of society is excluded.