Card Operated Pumpouts

warwickshireman

Featured Posts

I much prefer to use a diy pumpout as I can do a much better job than boatyard people seem able or prepared to do but I've never found a list of where these things are available. Does anybody know of one?

They are shown on the Nicholson's Guides. I know these aren't perfect and have spent the last 5 years complaining that the sanitary station in Bishop's Stortford isn't shown, but have recently discovered that as well as the usual sign for self pump out there's also a logo like a little hut (or front of an arrow but vertical) which means combined sanitary station and sure enough, there it is. :detective:

Some of them listed here:

http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/

Often think NBW or CWDF should have a continuously updated list. There are so many water taps/elsans/pumpouts that have been out of action for months that a it makes a mockery of all the guide books.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

The DIY pump out at Mercia Marina is timed at 9 minutes, this is not enough to empty our tank.

Are all the token/card type pump outs timed in this manner?

At Shobnal Marina, Burton, the pump out is not self service but they do a great job and pump us out properly.

I ask, as hopefully we will set sail soon and I want to know if there are DIY pump outs that are not timed and that I can look out for.

Joshua

The DIY pump out at Mercia Marina is timed at 9 minutes, this is not enough to empty our tank.

Are all the token/card type pump outs timed in this manner?

At Shobnal Marina, Burton, the pump out is not self service but they do a great job and pump us out properly.

I ask, as hopefully we will set sail soon and I want to know if there are DIY pump outs that are not timed and that I can look out for.

Joshua

That's odd. By careful management of the pause button, we can empty and rinse both of our tanks with one card

Richard

Joshua

In that case ether you have a large tank, a small discharge oraface or the pump out doesn't suck very well. Braunston Marina was timed at 8 minutes and we could pump two boat out if we had them ready.

Guest wanted

The one opposite us in Brentford is rubbish, We try and wait to Pete Wakeham is down, the pump out he has on Swindon can empty my tank in about two minutes.

Every one I have used is timed but the time has varied, it is usually in the 8 to 9 minute range though.

Yes, although I have met one or two that were 7 minutes. I wish they had some sort of count-down timer on them, so you could be certain they aren't about to stop just after you half-filled the tank with rinsing water.

• Greenie 1

I have asked Damian on several occasions for a list of self pump out places. Today he refered me to Apco as he thinks they are run privately. There are times I dispair.

I have had an ongoing battle with the old BW on the same subject in the person of Jeff Whyatt. They sent me a low resolution map with each location numbered. However there was no key to these locations available. The map would enable to guess the locations within 50 miles so totally useless. A request for a list with addresses or post codes revealed that basically BW did not know where their card operated pump outs where. So anybody could steal one and they would not know!

Jeff said they were recompiling the list but that was last August. It is a pathetic situation where they will quite willingly sell you a pump out card but not tell you where you can use them other than to say on the boaters guides!

I much prefer to use a diy pumpout as I can do a much better job than boatyard people seem able or prepared to do but I've never found a list of where these things are available. Does anybody know of one?

Thanks to all who replied.

It seems remarkable that BW/CRT doesn't have a list.

So maybe the answer is self help. Between us all the users of the forum must know where all the machines are. Why don't we compile a list ourselves.

If you would like to share your knowledge post details here - canal name, location, year when last confirmed to be there (eg 2012). If there are enough replies I will collate them and post a list in a couple of weeks. Perhaps the mods will nail it on page 1?

To start the ball rolling here are some places I noted last year on the K and A:-

Dundas wharf (west of aqueduct) 2011

Bradford on Avon (above the lock) 2011

Seend (opposite the Barge Inn bridge 153) 2011

Devizes (above Caen Hill flight by lock 45) 2011

Devizes wharf 2011

Great Bedwyn wharf 2011

If you're posting details of somewhere that uses other than BW/CRT cards (like on the Thames) please say so.

Multiple reports of each place are welcome for confirmation.

Thanks to all who replied.

It seems remarkable that BW/CRT doesn't have a list.

So maybe the answer is self help. Between us all the users of the forum must know where all the machines are. Why don't we compile a list ourselves.

If you would like to share your knowledge post details here - canal name, location, year when last confirmed to be there (eg 2012). If there are enough replies I will collate them and post a list in a couple of weeks. Perhaps the mods will nail it on page 1?

To start the ball rolling here are some places I noted last year on the K and A:-

Dundas wharf (west of aqueduct) 2011

Bradford on Avon (above the lock) 2011

Seend (opposite the Barge Inn bridge 153) 2011

Devizes (above Caen Hill flight by lock 45) 2011

Devizes wharf 2011

Great Bedwyn wharf 2011

If you're posting details of somewhere that uses other than BW/CRT cards (like on the Thames) please say so.

Multiple reports of each place are welcome for confirmation.

and also Hungerford (just east of the town) and Kintbury.

A lot of boats don't realise the Hungerford one is there so its not heavily used so less often broken.

The Devizes one (lock 45) is not too easy to get to, especially if you are 70 foot.

The one at Seend is reputed to run for a very long time.

Maybe this great forum could have a few pinned lists of useful boater into such as this, that we could periodically update??????????

Bishops Stortford. Frequently out of order ''motionless''.

The unsightly graffiti daubed stainless steel box containing the stinking leaky hoses at the waters edge is sited exactly where you step ashore from the back of your boat.

This box is as far as i'm concerned only useful as a mooring bollard, whilst i empty my cassette in the sanny behind. :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard