Living on the canals into older age

sal garfi

Featured Posts

SNIP

" If you do and find it gets too hard you can always come back onto land. If you don't you will also wonder whether you could have for at least a few years and regret not trying Never live to regret anything."

Wise words - that's why we moved onto our boat 3 years ago and we're still loving every minute.

We'd only been on four summer hire holidays, never hired out of season, just did loads of research and talked to lots of boaters.

He's still a youngster :D One elderly friend collapsed on his boat (in a marina) It took an hour for the emergency services to get him out of the boat as the cratch had to be dismantled. Now he has recovered he is stuck on the boat as he isn't steady enough to walk along the narrow walkways. Another boat coming up for sale.

One elderly relative of mine collapsed with a heart attack in the bathroom of his house. It took an hour for the emergency services to get him out of the bathroom as he had fallen across the door preventing it from opening. He has recovered but with much reduced health and left unable to get up the stairs of his house to his bedroom or bathroom. Another house is coming up for sale!

I don't intend to sound facetious, merely illustrating that age and fitness can present major difficulties wherever we live and each change of circumstances can call for adaption, whether living on a boat or in a house. The arguments about not being able to lift gas cylinders, black the boat, do maintenance work are equally as relevant in a house environment, but with a slightly different tilt. Unable to clean the windows, get up the front steps, cut the grass, rod out the drains etc, etc.

If you want to do something badly enough and are currently fit enough, do it now before you are preparing to meet your maker regretting all the things you failed to do when you were able. I am 65, been living on my widebeam for nearly 8 years and am currently planning to upgrade my other sailing boat to sail down to the Med and beyond. Whether I have my fitness for a further 6 months or 20 years is irrelevant. I can do it now and am not afraid of what may happen in an unpredictable future. I was talking to a Mcmillan nurse yesterday who was telling me that one of the saddest parts of her job is listening to patients talking about how they regretted letting opportunities pass them by before illness struck.

Roger

Dear All,

I'm new here, and I guess, I'm looking for inspiration on living aboard. My wife and I have been toying with the idea of living on a narrow boat for some years now, but since we don't have the best of backs we're worried that we might come a cropper in older age (although we've been relatively active, to be honest, our bodies just aren't what they used to be, and we both can feel what we think could be hints of potential arthritus!).

I'm 60 now (an archaeologist), and she's 55 (former archaeologist and now a bookseller), but it may be some years before we can take the plunge, so we'd like to know what other people's experiences have been. If we do make the decision to permanently live aboard (which we'll have to do since we 'll need the selling of our house to buy our boat) we'd really like to know how long we can do it for. So again, what are other people's insights and experiences.

Well..., if anyone can give us pearls of wisdom, it would be appreciated!

Best to y'all...

Sal

Sal

According to your profile, you seem to have forgotten that you made a similar post four years ago, a month after My wife and I moved on to our Boat at that time I was already seven years older than you are now and my wife four years older than you.

The life you describe in post 21 sounds a bloody sight harder than anything we have experienced in the last four years living afloat full time and we made the decision after only a weekend's hire.

Our only regret is we didn't find life on the cut earlier ... we're all a long time dead :cheers:

Edited by Offcumden

a lot of interesting views........I started CCing 6 years ago and when I bought my boat I knew nothing about boating. I had never been on a narrowboat and guess what I had a bad back. Thousands of locks later I have no problem with my back. As some on here will know I cruise with another boat, Stan will be 77 in 2 days time and yes things are not as easy as they might have been for him a few years ago but he just takes it easy and never rushes (except to the pub) the only real difficulty he has is going up lock ladders. and if he can not moor his boat close to the bank side.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Everybody has a different, not wrong opinion, but in the end only you guys can decide what is best for you. If you are both willing and able to change and adapt as you go along,you should be able to cope with whatever life throws at you! The great thing about most boaters is they will help each other out and once you start to make friends, they will be there for you.

I do agree that things should be tried as regret is a hard thing to lve with. Take each day as it comes and ggod luck with whatever you decided. (by the way I run a 650w travel kettle off solar panels, but thats another story !) :rolleyes:

Well, this all sounds encouraging. Yes, we've always tried to get on with what we've wanted to do, and deal with the consequences later. But when our backs started to give us gyp, well, we got worried, perhaps worried for the first time. An awareness of mortality I guess. But we have managed to do all the physical things we've needed to do, and as people have posted here, we try to use our brains, not our brawn. Nonetheless, we shall pursue our course. We've still got to feel the water (no pun), but like Offcumden, we have often jumped into situations without long trials and we've always been OK. And yes, Offcumden, we're still toying with this idea, four years later - in fact, we almost bought ourselves a little Water Rat back then, but we didn't have the spare dosh. But we did get a VW 'Wedgie' campervan last year, and 'She's' wonderful! I've actually thought of decorating her interior woodwork with castles and roses, and painting the trim red!! Ah well..., a boatman's cabin on wheels!

Speaking of regrets. I had a neighbour who moved out here to mid Wales for an early retirement, in his late 50s. The poor bloke was then struck with prostate cancer and died. It was very sad indeed. My brother in law also slogged away for decades, reached 60-ish and had to retire due to spastic paraplegia, but then to top it all, he ruptured two discs in his spine. He's now on only one crutch, and he's fighting it all, but he sits back and regrets that he never did anything when he was younger. These kind of tales have haunted me for as long as I can remember, so I can't deny that I get a wee bit worried when my body can't do what it used to. But then, who am I kidding, I have reached 60. I must remember that. By the way, I like the idea of a hoist for heavy weights - why not?

Thanks all!!

I get a wee bit worried when my body can't do what it used to.

That's what my dad said, the other day on the phone, after cutting one of his hedges, he is 91 and suffers with angina.

:cheers:

Some have suggested hiring a boat out of season and preferably in mid winter which is very sound advice. If you do so you should bear in mind that it wouldn't be as comfy as a live aboard boat. It would certainly give you an insight into what it would be like, but the spec of the boat wouldn't be as good. Things like the insulation may not be as good, there might be less storage space etc, and because you'd be on it temporarily you would'nt have the home comforts around you that you would once you lived aboard a boat.

We hired a boat in November/Dec 2010 when night time temperatures were -12, the ice was 5 inches thick, and the heating had difficulty coping. But it was a very worthwhile exercise because it gave us an insight as to what it would be like. It didn't put us off and we are now in the process of looking for a boat to live aboard.

• Greenie 1

Some have suggested hiring a boat out of season and preferably in mid winter which is very sound advice. If you do so you should bear in mind that it wouldn't be as comfy as a live aboard boat. It would certainly give you an insight into what it would be like, but the spec of the boat wouldn't be as good. Things like the insulation may not be as good, there might be less storage space etc, and because you'd be on it temporarily you would'nt have the home comforts around you that you would once you lived aboard a boat.

We hired a boat in November/Dec 2010 when night time temperatures were -12, the ice was 5 inches thick, and the heating had difficulty coping. But it was a very worthwhile exercise because it gave us an insight as to what it would be like. It didn't put us off and we are now in the process of looking for a boat to live aboard.

A well placed solid fuel stove will sort out any heating issues, in fact you will be opening side doors to cool off if you let the stove get a bit too hot, even in very cold weather,

no prob once you have mastered the art of stove adjustment.

More than once I have gone out into the snow and ice in shirtsleeves for a bit of relief!

Our present home only got central heating in 2003. We've been living without for decades. Even now, with the recent fuel hikes, we don't use the CH fully, often relying on our sitting room stove (and pullovers and hot water bottles). I know how small spaces can heat up, because our VW camper heats up in no time in the winter, if you just turn on the hob to boil a kettle. In fact, our house is in a frost shadow in the Winter, and even in the Summer, its thick stone walls don't allow it to heat up much. My main concern about canals in the Winter is excessive humidity, because that can really make a temperature plummet. I used to live in Montreal, and as you'll know, Canadian winters are much colder than British ones, but I've had far greater chills in this country than I ever had in Canada. the humidity can really get into your bones. But then again, when indoors, a stove in a small space really churns up the heat!

Edited by sal garfi

Hello All,

Well, I posted this yesterday, and I went out, woke up this morning and saw 17 responses. Thanks to all of you. First, let me say that my wife and I are not invalids. We're quite active. We live in mid Wales, in a gorgeous location, but our property (ca half an acre)is on a ca 30 degree slope, and on this, we cut down trees and chop wood on a regular basis. We also manhandle bags of coal. We also do the required DIY, though we'd rather not - mainly because of our personal inclinations. We haven't led a conventional life. Our work has taken us to much of the Arab world where we've lived for considerable lengths of time in very rough conditions in the middle of nowhere (and even, at times, without vehicular transport), and I'm still doing fieldwork in a rather wild and desolate part of N. Africa. We can cope in small spaces and without modern conveniences. Our impetus for living on a narrow boat is mainly based on the fact that we'll have to sell our house to increase our income in 'retirement'. We've always liked canals, and the boats, and since we live in a beautiful (and underpopulated) part of the UK we can't imagine ourselves moving into a semi in suburbia if we need to 'downsize', or to ensconce ourselves in another part of Britain which is obviously overpopulated. Also, we probably couldn't get a place as cheap as we would need it to be (eg, our present mortgage is only ca £220 per month). We think that the canals are the only viable way with which we can keep our quality of life - and we're attracted to them. In short, we are two people who have tried (though we've failed at times) not to betray our dreams. We are not pining for some idyll. We already live in what can be described as an idyll (and I don't mean to sound smug), so we just want to continue to do so.

So, your opinions are all worthwhile, and thanks. We're mainly concerned that if our backs give us a bit of gyp now, how will we cope in the future on the cut? Are there ways of making life easier? How have other people coped into their older age? There's been reference to people living until they die on the cut, but are these apocryphal stories? And it's not just backs, what of people who've developed heart conditions and the like. Can, and do people go on to the bitter end? I for one, don't want to end up in some old age home where the staff play horrible 1970s teeny bopper music telling me that 'that's from your times - you like that kind of music, don't ya...' A real fate worse than death!!!!!

Sal

Great responce I know exactly where you are coming from and hope that you make the right decision for you two.

Very encouraging to see that you have identified a way to keep your lives as you wish them.

David

Great responce I know exactly where you are coming from and hope that you make the right decision for you two.

Very encouraging to see that you have identified a way to keep your lives as you wish them.

David

Be aware as others have said that living on your boat, assuming you intend to do it properly ie complying with the regulations is not a cheap option any longer and getting more expensive, as you get older you may need a perm mooring to access facilities, shops , doctors etc etc. there have been a lot of posts recently regarding moving onto boats as a cheaper option to living ashore. Do it because it's a lifestyle choice and you will have a great time, do it for financial reasons and I fear you will be disappointed.

• Greenie 1

I know a few in their 70's, happily and effectively living aboard. Again, not age but fitness that matters. I have recently developed a back issue, and have to admit I'm finding it much harder....getting under the tug deck at the moment is a definate no! But then...work is hard going for the same reason, and I guess it would still be hard in a house too.

My ex had heart issues, ending with a triple by-pass, but still lives on a boat.

I think it's down to determination, will and wish.

Edited by Ally

Well, after reading all of the posts here, and in other parts of the Forum, my wife and I are now of the opinion that we needn't worry about our situation. We do so many physical things already, I'm wondering why we were (over?) worrying in the first place (I'll still cross my fingers and toes!). Living on the canals is probably our best option in the not too distant future. We shall explore it with more hopefulness!!

I know a few in their 70's, happily and effectively living aboard. Again, not age but fitness that matters. I have recently developed a back issue, and have to admit I'm finding it much harder....getting under the tug deck at the moment is a definate no! But then...work is hard going for the same reason, and I guess it would still be hard in a house too.

My ex had heart issues, ending with a triple by-pass, but still lives on a boat.

I think it's down to determination, will and wish.

And cash?

• Greenie 1

Be aware as others have said that living on your boat, assuming you intend to do it properly ie complying with the regulations is not a cheap option any longer and getting more expensive, as you get older you may need a perm mooring to access facilities, shops , doctors etc etc. there have been a lot of posts recently regarding moving onto boats as a cheaper option to living ashore. Do it because it's a lifestyle choice and you will have a great time, do it for financial reasons and I fear you will be disappointed.

Very, very true.

Tim

Living on a boat, or living in a house, you always need cash, so I don't see the difference.

Peter.

If you own a boat it isn't going to pay for any other sort of accomodation for long. A house will pay for care for quite awhile plus you may be able to downsize

If you own a boat it isn't going to pay for any other sort of accomodation for long. A house will pay for care for quite awhile plus you may be able to downsize

All very nice if you own a house, which many boatowners don't, I may be a bad example as I left a house that wasn't mine in '73, and never owned or lived in a house (or apartment) since, and have been living on, and until a few years ago working with barges.

If I visit people in houses, after a few days I miss seeing the river, possibly a house only a couple of metres away, and with a view on the river would allow me to stay a few days longer, but I just don't feel happy ashore.

Peter.

A house won't pay for care for long if you still owe a big mortgage on it. A small house won't pay for as much care as a big house, a small boat won't pay for as much care as a small house. So many people seem to be obsessed with how much money will be available when they are too old to look after themselves, that they forget about enjoying life now.

Why go through life constantly worrying about what might happen when you get old? Go through life enjoying it and confront old age if and when it happens. Throughout all my adult life I have known friends and family who died before their time and for whom no ammount of planning or money would have helped for an old age that never came! What does it matter how much you have hoarded away or invested in your life of worry, knowing that it will all go to some care home who are unlikely to give a toss about some bed wetting, babbling old fogey, providing the care home owner can enjoy the lixury life your money will bring.

Roger

Greenie

A house won't pay for care for long if you still owe a big mortgage on it. A small house won't pay for as much care as a big house, a small boat won't pay for as much care as a small house. So many people seem to be obsessed with how much money will be available when they are too old to look after themselves, that they forget about enjoying life now.

Why go through life constantly worrying about what might happen when you get old? Go through life enjoying it and confront old age if and when it happens. Throughout all my adult life I have known friends and family who died before their time and for whom no ammount of planning or money would have helped for an old age that never came! What does it matter how much you have hoarded away or invested in your life of worry, knowing that it will all go to some care home who are unlikely to give a toss about some bed wetting, babbling old fogey, providing the care home owner can enjoy the lixury life your money will bring.

Roger

Couldn't agree more! Have a greenie from me.