Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Featured Posts

Well I hope you have moored it there! What does he think fenders are for?

I made a point of putting it in the space, (without touching at either end), after he had said "it is far too short - you won't possibly fit there", and would definitely have left it there if nowt else had been available.

But someone left, and a much better place became available.

Whilst I'm very much one for making a point, and not giving in to morons, where we are now has the advantage of not being bang next door to an obnoxious prat!

Tawny Owl is in place at Alvecote, ready for next weekend

We have a few berths available if anyone is interested, we will be there from Saturday evening (I have to collect a milling machine from Essex on Saturday)

Richard

Tawny Owl is in place at Alvecote, ready for next weekend

We have a few berths available if anyone is interested, we will be there from Saturday evening (I have to collect a milling machine from Essex on Saturday)

Richard

Excellent! I did not realise you were heading that way! We will be arriving (by car) on Friday night and our boat (Python) should already be there. If it is not then we might end up breaking in and squatting on Tawny Owl

Excellent! I did not realise you were heading that way! We will be arriving (by car) on Friday night and our boat (Python) should already be there. If it is not then we might end up breaking in and squatting on Tawny Owl

We had a magnificent plan to go up to Froghall, then back to Alvecote by today, which went a bit pear shaped. So we went down the 21, up to Great Haywood, Fradley, Fazeley and then to Alvecote, all in a week

We must be losing our touch :blush:

Richard

We are leaving tomorrow.

Are you still sure there's going to be enough space? I haven't met anyone yet who isn't going.

We are leaving tomorrow.

Are you still sure there's going to be enough space? I haven't met anyone yet who isn't going.

We are leaving tomorrow.

There was plenty yesterday when we arrived. the towpath side was mostly empty opposite the marina, and for a long way before it coming form Fazeley.

I don't know if the historic boats normally going into the Marina, but if so here was plenty of space in there too.

Sue

Mrs. Athy and I hope to attend, though by car and not by boat. On which days of the BH weekend is it taking place, please? I have looked on Google but the rally does not appear to have its own web site.

There was plenty yesterday when we arrived. the towpath side was mostly empty opposite the marina, and for a long way before it coming form Fazeley.

I don't know if the historic boats normally going into the Marina, but if so here was plenty of space in there too.

Sue

To add to my alter-ego, if there isn't any space, bung Chertsey alongside Tawny Owl if you want

Richard

It seems a lot of forum people are going, quite a lot by boat.

Chalice is now slowly working its way back there, (having bee there once already from when we dropped Sickle off in that area).

We are moored tonight with Chalice at the Black Country Museum not expecting to find Ange and Dave arriving here with Iona. They are now berthed alongside, and will be going up there later in the week.

We will move up into Brum for tomorrow night, at least, and will pick son Michael up there, before heading on up.

I've not been to an Alvecote event before, but am distinctly getting the impression there will be more historic boats there than previously. No idea how that works for space and berthing them, but I believe a lot of boats get put stern on to the Samuel Barlow pub. After that, I have no idea!

To add to my alter-ego, if there isn't any space, bung Chertsey alongside Tawny Owl if you want

Richard

Hopefully people are going to turn up with enough "Grand Unions" to balance the normally rather "Josher-centric" South Midland fleet, based at Alvecote.

I want to make a plea for a special "Middle Northwich" section, as hopefully at least Sickle, Tycho and Thea will all be present.

I suppose us "Northwich" people will not be too upset if we have to "rough it" with a "Woolwich" or two, though! :lol:

I'm starting an ex-hire boat section. I reckon Tawny Owl earned far more for her owners over the years than any ex 'working' boat

Richard

I thought Tawny Owl was already allocated to the Death Boat section ?

SNIP

Chalice is now slowly working its way back there, (having bee there once already from when we dropped Sickle off in that area).

We are moored tonight with Chalice at the Black Country Museum not expecting to find Ange and Dave arriving here with Iona. They are now berthed alongside, and will be going up there later in the week.

Doesn't it work out sweet sometimes! We arrived at the Black Country Museum to find all the moorings full. A bit disheartened but knowing the less secure moorings just outside were vacant we decided to top up with water while we were here. Then I hear my name shouted from the other side of the canal - and there's Alan & Cath who then asked us if we wanted to breast up with them.

We're meeting a couple of friends here tomorrow and visiting the museum with them on Tuesday. Wednesday we'll make our way back into Central Brum then Thursday doing Farmers Bridge and Aston. I haven't planned beyond that so no idea when we'll arrive at Alvecote :)

Doesn't it work out sweet sometimes! We arrived at the Black Country Museum to find all the moorings full. A bit disheartened but knowing the less secure moorings just outside were vacant we decided to top up with water while we were here. Then I hear my name shouted from the other side of the canal - and there's Alan & Cath who then asked us if we wanted to breast up with them.

We're meeting a couple of friends here tomorrow and visiting the museum with them on Tuesday. Wednesday we'll make our way back into Central Brum then Thursday doing Farmers Bridge and Aston. I haven't planned beyond that so no idea when we'll arrive at Alvecote :)

Hey Ange - if Python's current crew keep with the timings of the plan they will be arriving at BCLM Tuesday evening then move into Central Birmingham on Wednesday and down Farmers Bridge and on to Curdworth on Thursday. You are very likely to be seeing them along the way! - They are expecting to arrive at Alvecote on Friday

I've not been to an Alvecote event before, but am distinctly getting the impression there will be more historic boats there than previously. No idea how that works for space and berthing them, but I believe a lot of boats get put stern on to the Samuel Barlow pub. After that, I have no idea!

Sat 11th Aug I called in Alvecote while 'driving past'. My conclusion was that if a lot of boats turn up there will be a lot of towpath walking.

Google Map view of the Marina and Samuel Barlow pub.

HTH

Since my enquiry of yesterday evening I've found out a bit more (I had not realised that there were previous pages of the topic, and the original post was informative). But, does anyone know at what time the boat parade will take place each day? I would not want to miss it.

Looks like a strong turn out so fingers crossed for the weather now. Dont forget if you fancy taking part in the Illuminated boat parade on Sunday night there is a Free dry docking and Blacking up for grabs for the 'best Illumination' judged by the band who will be playing!

We are trying not to run things to a timetable but so people can better plan there weekend here is our 'Rough guide of what might happen!'

ALVECOTE BOATs, BANDS & BEER FESTIVAL 2012

Friday

6.00pm – Real ale Festival opens upstairs Barlow

7.30pm – Band : Finnegans Wake – toe tapping Irish band

Saturday

8.00 – 9.30am – Boaters breakfast (ticket only) downstairs in Barlow

10.00am – Judging of Les Lapworth Award (The historic boat award judged by historic boat owners and Associates)

1.00pm – Hog roast

2.00pm – Historic Boat Parade

8.00pm – Band : Time trip – Our signwriter takes you on a musical trip though the 60’s and 70’s

Sunday

8.00– 9.30am – Boaters Breakfast (ticket only) downstairs in Barlow

12.00pm – Announcement of Les Lapworth Award at Award Mooring.

1.00pm – Beer Garden BBQ

2.30pm – Celtic music and clog dancing

7.30pm - Band: Stained Glass Alice – Amazing 9 piece ska band

9.30pm – Illuminated Boat parade (and a chance to win a Hull Blacking)

Monday

8.00am – Bank holiday Market opens at the top of Robeys lane (1/4 mile walk or £1 for car parking in field)

1.00pm – Beer Garden BBQ

3.30pm – Guitar Duo ,Rock the event to a close

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

We are on our way there now in our not quite historic 1976 ex willow wren kerns/Middlewich hire boat Rowan. Just been through Fradley junction should be there mid to late afternoon.

Bunting is half up.

How is the mooring situation looking or do we need to dig the bike out?

Helen

We are on our way there now in our not quite historic 1976 ex willow wren kerns/Middlewich hire boat Rowan. Just been through Fradley junction should be there mid to late afternoon.

Bunting is half up.

How is the mooring situation looking or do we need to dig the bike out?

Helen

Good stuff Helen, us ex-hire boat owners can show these hobbyists what proper working boats look like

Richard

I don't know whether to post in the Alvecote gathering thread or our Silver Wedding anniversary thread.........

But, just to confirm we are now installed at Alvecote with "Sickle", in the company of other ice boats like the excellent "Baltic", (owned by forum member "Evil Edna"), and "Laplander", (steam powered).

Also in situ are (amongst others) "Chertsey", (both the boat and forum member, with Paddington Bear), and next to them "Aber" (with forum member Tuscan).

Forty to fifty historic boats seem to be predicted - probably around 30 already here, (but I haven't counted).

So, please say hello, at least, if you are here, but ideally come and join us for a drink to celebrate our Silver Wedding.

Alan & Cath