HELP!

MJR

Featured Posts

Good evening all!

I have a 37" narrowboat for sale which has been advertised since end of April but still had no viewings (although plenty of "interest"). It is currently in TowpathTalk, Gumtree, Apolloduck and on this forum......

can anyone suggest if anywhere else would be worth a try?

Below is a link which will show you a few pic's and give a little more info..

Regards,

Matt.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VMAO7D-25-6GoNk4HifJ4M6Q6Bk43O7HXR7-JgfYl9s/edit

I would be interested to know what anyone would do with a 37" narrowboat? perhap's sail it on the lake at the local park!

:blink: I manage to live quite happily on a 30' narrowboat, and have yet to fall victim to any tsunami's or violent white water conditions on the canal which have caused me any concern over the safety of myself or my boat.

Edited by Starcoaster

:blink: I manage to live quite happily on a 30' narrowboat, and have yet to fall victim to any tsunami's or violent white water conditions on the canal which have caused me any concern over the safety of myself or my boat.

Watch out for pedalos though....they can inflict serious damage....

Edited by MJG

:blink: I manage to live quite happily on a 30' narrowboat, .........

Yes but that is 10 times bigger than the OP's boat - his is 37" (inches)

The devil is in the detail.

Edit - pipped to the post because of snail speed connection

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I would be interested to know what anyone would do with a 37" narrowboat? perhap's sail it on the lake at the local park!

In the past I have spent many wonderful weekends and entire weeks away in a 30' boat. One of the really big advantages is you do not have to travel very far to be able to find a place wide enough to wind and on occasions we were fortunate enough to find another little boat to share locks with. We were often able to slot into a tiny space on prime moorings when the shiby big boats had to keep on cruising too.

If you want a boat on a budget then why pay per foot a lot more for everything - mooring, blacking, licence. This size is plenty for a leisure boat, and, if you can be a but minimalist, you could live aboard too

I was answering Starcoasters post when she was saying she was happy with 30' - and I replied yes - but "yours is 10 times bigger" (actually 9.73 times bigger so - I exagerated)

no worries - it happens.... ;)

I was answering Starcoasters post when she was saying she was happy with 30' - and I replied yes - but "yours is 10 times bigger" (actually 9.73 times bigger so - I exagerated)

Don't most people when they talk about size :cheers:

Good evening all!

I have a 37" narrowboat for sale which has been advertised since end of April but still had no viewings (although plenty of "interest"). It is currently in TowpathTalk, Gumtree, Apolloduck and on this forum......

can anyone suggest if anywhere else would be worth a try?

Below is a link which will show you a few pic's and give a little more info..

Regards,

Matt.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VMAO7D-25-6GoNk4HifJ4M6Q6Bk43O7HXR7-JgfYl9s/edit

I looked at this advertisement last week and was confused as it stated "brand new hull" only to find it was a replated secondhand shell. This in itself with no other detail was very off putting and I continued my search elsewhere.I would suggest more detail, hull thickness,manufacturer etc.

I looked at this advertisement last week and was confused as it stated "brand new hull" only to find it was a replated secondhand shell. This in itself with no other detail was very off putting and I continued my search elsewhere.I would suggest more detail, hull thickness,manufacturer etc.

How did you find out about the replating?

Richard

Yes, I was at a loss to understand why this is being described as a "brand new hull" when it certainly doesn't appear to be.

Enough to stop most people looking at it any more, I would have thought ?

can MJR please explain this obvious anomaly ?

Who built the hull, and when, please ?

Yes, I was at a loss to understand why this is being described as a "brand new hull" when it certainly doesn't appear to be.

Enough to stop most people looking at it any more, I would have thought ?

can MJR please explain this obvious anomaly ?

Who built the hull, and when, please ?

That does raise some interesting questions about RCD

Richard

That does raise some interesting questions about RCD

Richard

Does it ? I'd guess the shell has previously been a fitted boat, and is far too old to fall into the scope of RCD ?

But I don't know - I think the OP needs to tell us what we are looking at !

Thanks for all your replies/advice/puns; they are all appreciated! :lol:

Well done to Sherlock for spotting the deliberate mistake; the boat is 37' long (which is 12x LONGER than 37" for Pythagoras' info/calculations)! :P

Also correct; the bottom and a third of the sides were completely removed (couldn't be over-plated) and had bottom & sides (10mm & 6mm respectively) fabricated to a conventional standard (hull has a survey to confirm all ok and plenty of photos to show stages of the work being done).

If anyone reading this is actually looking to buy a boat the best possible advice you can take is to HAVE A SURVEY BEFORE YOU BUY!!! (alternatively learn a very expensive lesson like i have)!!

You would do far better adveertising it as I bought this narrowboat and made the mistake of not having a survey done as such i have sspent loads bringing it up to speck new botttom and sides now will make first class boat survey welcome, the way you have advertised makes it appear although i am sure you did not intend to be iffy.