Lost dragon tiller pin

homer2911

Featured Posts

A recent accident resulted in the loss of our beloved Dai the Dragon tiller pin, which we bought years ago in Florida, of all places. (Dai was mounted on a wooden plinth when we bought him)

The only replacement we have found is a poor imitation from Black Country Metalworks - their's is smaller and is cast on one side only, the other side being flat. Anyone know where I can get a decent sized brass or cast iron dragon that I can make into a tiller pin?

<a%20href=IMG_7903.jpg">

Edited by homer2911

How sad. Losing something that is special with memories is always the worst. You could ask Hayley (www.foreverforged.co.uk if she'd make you one. She's one of our moorers (Mercia) and, as you'll see is an artist blacksmith. Made me a heron poker and fire scraper ('cos the boat is a heron build!) and is doing lots of lovely things. So would do one to your spec though I'd not think she'd do brass.

Jo

How sad. Losing something that is special with memories is always the worst. You could ask Hayley (www.foreverforged.co.uk if she'd make you one. She's one of our moorers (Mercia) and, as you'll see is an artist blacksmith. Made me a heron poker and fire scraper ('cos the boat is a heron build!) and is doing lots of lovely things. So would do one to your spec though I'd not think she'd do brass.

Jo

Thank you for that suggestion, and to everyone who tried to help.

However, I've just been informed that Dai has been found and is being returned to me! I am totally chuffed!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Why not get yourself a tiller pin tassel so there's no danger of Dai falling in the cut.

You rarely see them these days but I use one.

So do I.

Nearly everything I have seems to end up in the cut unless I take extra precautions!

Why not get yourself a tiller pin tassel so there's no danger of Dai falling in the cut.

Its quite rare to see tiller tassels in the shops/chandlers and when you do they are usually not much good. However there are several roving traders on the cut who sell them. Gillie on Vox Stellarum does them and has recently starting to do multi coloured ones too. She will be at the floating market in Birmingham in June as long as the Kennet settles down enough to facilitate an escape from the K&A.

...........Dave

Its quite rare to see tiller tassels in the shops/chandlers and when you do they are usually not much good. However there are several roving traders on the cut who sell them. Gillie on Vox Stellarum does them and has recently starting to do multi coloured ones too. She will be at the floating market in Birmingham in June as long as the Kennet settles down enough to facilitate an escape from the K&A.

...........Dave

I must look after mine then.

What can you get to make sure you don't lose your tiller tassel?

I think the main cause of tiller pins 'falling out' (upwards) is steerers hanging the stern line on them. I do it myself when on the Thames as the stern line is needed at every lock. The when you grab the line you hear that 'plop' as the tiller pin comes out with the line and falls in the Thames, grrr...

I put a split ring key ring through mine to keep it in place, quite a faff. How is a tiller pin tassel fixed on?

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ah, excellent. Now, what about that hole in my bucket?

My favourite (yes...sad but true) bucket developed a small hole so I fixed it with a blob of my son's plasticine and limited it to light duties.

This worked well until my OH, not realising that different buckets were assigned different tasks, filled it straight from the kettle rendering the repair rather more temporary than I had envisaged.

The plasticine has now been upgraded to Milliput and the bucket has returned to full active duty.