Inverter Versus Generator

croxy

Featured Posts

I currently have a Stirling 1800 watt inverter off 4 x 135 amp lead acid leisure batteries, which is sufficient power for most things, however, it will not run our compact washing machine. The machine only requires 600 watts for the heating element but I presume the inverter gives an unacceptable type of wave because the washing machine doesn't even begin to do a wash. My question is - should I be considering a new (different) inverter or go with a 240 volt generator that fits on the engine like an alternator? (Isuzu 42hp 4 cyl diesel with twin alternators). I realise that using the latter method I will only be able to run the washine machine whilst the engine is running and don't really know which way to go. Maybe some of you have already made this decision and I would welcome your comments on the subject, Many thanks, Keith.

I currently have a Stirling 1800 watt inverter off 4 x 135 amp lead acid leisure batteries, which is sufficient power for most things, however, it will not run our compact washing machine. The machine only requires 600 watts for the heating element but I presume the inverter gives an unacceptable type of wave because the washing machine doesn't even begin to do a wash. My question is - should I be considering a new (different) inverter or go with a 240 volt generator that fits on the engine like an alternator? (Isuzu 42hp 4 cyl diesel with twin alternators). I realise that using the latter method I will only be able to run the washine machine whilst the engine is running and don't really know which way to go. Maybe some of you have already made this decision and I would welcome your comments on the subject, Many thanks, Keith.

my inverter is a 2.5KW one, and it still will not run the washing machine, so I wait for rainy days. It won't even run it when the engine is running, however, I have yet to try it while the solar panels are on full blast.

Our Zanussi runs happily from 'Mastervolt 2.5kw inverter or TravelPower. To answer your question needs a little more info, ie what is your current alternator output? To run the washing machine from a better inverter will use a fair bit of juice so you would probably want to have the engine running for at least the wash cycle when the water heater is on. Provided the engine alternator can reasonably keep up with the demand, I think going the way of,a better inverter is probably cheaper than installing a TravelPower type system, which would require the engine to run for the whole duration of the wash. What model of washing machine is it? Is the current inverter PSW or MSW?

Edited by nicknorman

Another option, small stand alone generator of the Honda type, possibly cheaper than engine mounted generator and probably more reliable but of course there is the problem of fuel (petrol) storage.

Not a recommendation just a suggestion. ;)

Either of your suggestions would do the job. Something like a TravelPower generator would cost upwards of £2,000 plus modifications and fitting. A pure sine wave inverter clicky here is priced at £465 - so no contest really ???

Minimal wiring needed and you can run the engine while washing to keep the batteries charged up. I'm assuming the Sterling unit is a "quasi-sinewave" inverter and many washing machines "don't like that waveform". Something to do with the electronic control of the motor. Nothing to do with the rated power output.

I have said it before and I suppose I am going to say it again.I would never run a heavy duty consumer device like a washing machine from the batteries using an inverter even with the alternator running.No matter what mega size inverter you use it is still a complicated device being used to deliver an awful lot of power from those brittle,easy to damage batteries we all have to use.Even if you are using a large output alternator the power still has to be delivered by those two things,inverter and batteries.If you must, because of financial constraints, get a good quality but cheapish genny but if you can get the Dometic travel power.I have no reason to lead you in this direction other than I have used the travel power for every boat I have had and I have never been disappointed.

There are several instances reported on the forum of onboard washing machines not liking some power supplies, Sometimes they work usually they don't.

Sadly if your washer works properly on mains hookup then you need to borrow bits and see what works. Some washers seem sensitive to waveform and some may be sensitive to transitory frequency changes. These may happen with generators or with inverters.

The "Travel Power" may be an answer but it's a big cost for the purchase and installation just to try it.

The "Travel Power" may be an answer but it's a big cost for the purchase and installation just to try it.

Nonsense Arthur, sorry,

The "Travel Power" will do the job without doubt and will go on doing it without killing batteries.

After the install I would seriously recommend an upgrade to a washer /drier which will be coped with easily.

cheers.gif

A

We have been asking ourselves the same question , decided on travel power too, when the tp is taking the load , the alts charging the unmolested battery bank for use later . We also plan a bit of solar too to help

We have been asking ourselves the same question , decided on travel power too, when the tp is taking the load , the alts charging the unmolested battery bank for use later . We also plan a bit of solar too to help

Good decision!

However, as I said, going the TP route means the engine has to be run for the entire duration of the wash, even though for more than half the time, the load is pretty minimal. The argument that an inverter is somehow more delicate and complex than a TravelPower is not a valid one. The TP is also an "inverter" in that the high voltage supply from the TP alternator is rectified, then "inverted" into 50Hz AC. The only difference between it and a normal inventer is that the voltage is also stepped up by a transformer in a 12v inverter.

Before considering a washer/drier, remember that may of these use a lot of water in the drying cycle -cold water is used in a heat exchanger to condense the water vapour- and in fact use more water in a drying cycle than they do in the wash/rinse cycles.

I have said it before and I suppose I am going to say it again.I would never run a heavy duty consumer device like a washing machine from the batteries using an inverter even with the alternator running.No matter what mega size inverter you use it is still a complicated device being used to deliver an awful lot of power from those brittle,easy to damage batteries we all have to use.Even if you are using a large output alternator the power still has to be delivered by those two things,inverter and batteries.

I am of the same opinion, plus I don't want to put all those unnecessary hours on my engine so I went with a generator which is also much quieter and easier (and cheaper) to service. Really the title of the thread should be "Engine alternator & batteries versus generator" because that's the source of the power.

Edited by blackrose

I am of the same opinion, plus I don't want to put all those unnecessary hours on my engine so I went with a generator which is also much quieter and easier (and cheaper) to service. Really the title of the thread should be "Engine alternator & batteries versus generator" because that's the source of the power.

I think it depends on how you use your boat. If you are the linear housing estate type whose boat never moves, I agree a generator would be best. On the other hand if you use your boat for travelling, surely you just arrange to do your washing whilst cruising?

If your moored near a road you can always do your washing after dark by plugging into a lamp-post with an extension lead and double adapter for its bulb so's the lamp stays alight and doesn't give the game away. :closedeyes:

I think it depends on how you use your boat. If you are the linear housing estate type whose boat never moves, I agree a generator would be best. On the other hand if you use your boat for travelling, surely you just arrange to do your washing whilst cruising?

I guess so, but in that case it also depends on your style of cruising. I do a load of washing a week in my small 3kg capacity machine, sometimes 2 loads. Not all boaters move everyday or even every week when they're out cruising. Sometimes I like to stay at moorings for a couple of weeks at a time, so I don't think generator running a washing machine is only useful for those who never move.

Edited by blackrose

I guess so, but in that case it also depends on your style of cruising. I do a load of washing a week in my small 3kg capacity machine, sometimes 2 loads. Not all boaters move everyday or even every week when they're out cruising. Sometimes I like to stay at moorings for a couple of weeks at a time, so I don't think generator running a washing machine is only useful for those who never move.

Fair enough if you are the sort to regularly tie up for 14 days. Because we do not live aboard and free time is limited, we rarely spend more than a couple of days in 1 place. For example, a weekend jaunt for us is up to Fradley, so on the way back on Sunday, on goes the washing machine, followed by the tumble drier, so that boat clothes, tea towels and maybe bedding are all sorted by the time we get back to the marina.

If your moored near a road you can always do your washing after dark by plugging into a lamp-post with an extension lead and double adapter for its bulb so's the lamp stays alight and doesn't give the game away. :closedeyes:

There speaks the voice of experience!

Yer a bit of a lad you are!

I thought that was phone boxes :wub: