Today's the day (part 2)

Featured Posts

The Sawley cut doesn't close, it just shows into the red/amber and green. You can still enter the flood lock at the top, and then exit the lock at the bottom. There is only as much water in the river now as when I came back from the Loughborough banter.

There has been several boats coming off the Trent up to the Soar today.

I have spoken to jerry about this and it wouldnt bother me BUT its the same old tale of caution about if the you know what hit the fan and if serious damage or worse ocurred whilst nice bright lights are shining just how friendly would the insurance company be ? after all they as an industry are very well known to use any means of not paying a claim.

Tim

After talking to Mr smelly this morning ,he decided he was going to "shoot the rapids" (and red light) and make the crossing from Shardlow to Sawley marina ,he invited me along for the ride ? ,we left Derwent mouth and made the short journey with very little (if any) problems ,he kept well over to the right of the weir and just as he felt the weir pull him left increased the throttle and powered nicely on to Sawley ,he then took me back to my boat at Shardlow ,and a couple of hours later I to am at Sawley after an uneventfull dash across from Shardlow.

ps, Many thanks to Mr Smelly for all your help and for getting me bread and milk yesterday ,not forgetting of course taking my crew (Sara) back to Nottingham for a prior appointment she has on Wednesday.

After talking to Mr smelly this morning ,he decided he was going to "shoot the rapids" (and red light) and make the crossing from Shardlow to Sawley marina ,he invited me along for the ride ? ,we left Derwent mouth and made the short journey with very little (if any) problems ,he kept well over to the right of the weir and just as he felt the weir pull him left increased the throttle and powered nicely on to Sawley ,he then took me back to my boat at Shardlow ,and a couple of hours later I to am at Sawley after an uneventfull dash across from Shardlow.

ps, Many thanks to Mr Smelly for all your help and for getting me bread and milk yesterday ,not forgetting of course taking my crew (Sara) back to Nottingham for a prior appointment she has on Wednesday.

No problem Jerry old bean. Nice to meet you. Just think you have gone from a ditchcrawler to well in the red on the Trent in a mere two weeks !!

I might add that I did risk assess the river before we ventured on to it at either end and would not reccomend everyone to venture on to serious rivers without some understanding of what they are doing.

And well done Jerry for bringing your own boat down after only one viewing :cheers:

See you soon.

Tim

I also did a risk assessment ,I went through on someone else's boat first :lol:

I'm leaving Sawley marina sometime tomorrow and heading down the Soar to Pillings lock

Edited by JerryP

We unknowingly passed Mister B at Sawley yesterday when we stopped to pump out our loo going the other way. Sorry Jerry, if I'd been following this thread we'd have said hello! I did get a text from Matty40s to say we'd be passing you but I picked it up too late!

Yes, Jerry has duly arrived and been greeted with a large gooey chocolate cake!!! :D

Very pretty engine!!

There, there Ally, you too will have an engine again very soon (although I have to say I think you will be going some to make it as priddy as Jerry's :)

Finally my first journey has come to an end ,I'm now safely tucked up in Pilling lock marina ,I did keep a look out for Dave and Ange but i missed them ,which is strange seeing as i was moored opposite the pump out station at Sawley yesterday.

many many thanks for all the help ,advise and encouragement ,and all those that shouted hello as we passed :cheers:

ps ,and a huge thanks to Ally and Marc ,for the welcoming gift of chocolate cake and coffee (supper is now sorted)

Edited by JerryP

you're welcome Jerry!

Ditchcrawler....tomorrow my engine goes back into the boat, following a complete rebuild! It's been running in the workshop (running around on the bench too!!!) so touch lots of large lumps of oak, we will soon be running her in. If anyone meets us out there.apologies for the very slow speeds!!

Finally my first journey has come to an end ,I'm now safely tucked up in Pilling lock marina ,I did keep a look out for Dave and Ange but i missed them ,which is strange seeing as i was moored opposite the pump out station at Sawley yesterday.

many many thanks for all the help ,advise and encouragement ,and all those that shouted hello as we passed :cheers:

ps ,and a huge thanks to Ally and Marc ,for the welcoming gift of chocolate cake and coffee (supper is now sorted)

and we saw your boat moored opposite us when we pumped out! Dave said that Mister B rang a bell but he couldn't remember why. There was no sign of you so we must have hit a window when you were inside having a cuppa or something. A pity but I'm sure we'll catch up another time.

• 2 weeks later...

How you getting on Jerry aboard your new boat?

The boat is behaving impeccably , Living aboard is generally very good ,but living in a marina isn't ,although the people are all very friendly and helpful ,having someone 3' from my window just isn't for me ,not long term I don't think ? ,(there not even liveaboards) I've only been here for 11 days and it's already making me depressed ! ,but at the moment it's a case of "needs must".

The boat is behaving impeccably , Living aboard is generally very good ,but living in a marina isn't ,although the people are all very friendly and helpful ,having someone 3' from my window just isn't for me ,not long term I don't think ? ,(there not even liveaboards) I've only been here for 11 days and it's already making me depressed ! ,but at the moment it's a case of "needs must".

Can you get an online mooring Jerry? Or perhaps there is a vacancy at your marina ot the end of the ponttons somewhere?

I realise that you will probably have to sit it out for a while but perhaps make some enquiries and line up a new mooring for when you no longer need to be stuck there. It will give you something to aim for. I suspect this rainy weather is not helping the feeling of being pent in either. If we got some pleasant light and sunny days you could at least get your chair out on the side and read your book there