stolen boat

GeorgeD

Featured Posts

I have spoken to the insurance investigator who will shortly be placing the details of the theft of the boat on stolenboat.org

He has told me that htere is a reward payable for information leading to the recovery of the boat subject to its condition and circumstances.

The company is PJ associates

Peter Smith is hte investigator you can contact him on:

01474 871313

or peter.smith@pjassociates.co.uk

I have spoken to the insurance investigator who will shortly be placing the details of the theft of the boat on stolenboat.org

He has told me that htere is a reward payable for information leading to the recovery of the boat subject to its condition and circumstances.

The company is PJ associates

Peter Smith is hte investigator you can contact him on:

01474 871313

or peter.smith@pjassociates.co.uk

Does that mean you can the original of that photo to put on here then?

<snip>

Stolen from the bottom of the Leicester Line at Norton Jct

My checks at Watford Locks have no record of that boat going through. There was an unconfirmed sighting heading south through the Buckby Flight.

<snip>

Can we do something with these bits of information? Where could the boat be, or more probably not be?

Richard

Can we do something with these bits of information? Where could the boat be, or more probably not be?

Richard

I was thinking along the same lines. What are the possible routes it could have taken, which are unlikely (due to restricted openings etc), where couldn't it be. Then its things like where could you repaint / refit without being seen or as a nightmare scenario lift and remove from the water.

Well, Norton Junction is where the GU Leicester section goes of from the GU near Daventry. George has checked with the locks at Watford, so the boat hasn't gone towards Leicester. That leaves down the GU (with a possible sighting at Buckby locks) or back towards Braunston, going past George's doorstep.

What are the GU stoppages?

Richard

Well, Norton Junction is where the GU Leicester section goes of from the GU near Daventry. George has checked with the locks at Watford, so the boat hasn't gone towards Leicester. That leaves down the GU (with a possible sighting at Buckby locks) or back towards Braunston, going past George's doorstep.

What are the GU stoppages?

Richard

If they were cheeky enough to head back to Braunston then they've got the North Oxford, up the GU towards B'ham (past Tawny Owl) or the South Oxford (which is unlikely due to the restricted lock openings).

With all the restrictions there don't seem to be too many places she could have gone to easily. Perhaps she's hiding in Barby Moorings?

The restrictions on the GU aren't extactly very restrictive. Now, most flights are open from about 9 to 5, and what often happens is that a lock keeper turns up, unlocks the gates, and goes off to unlock somewhere else. It's not as if boats are being checked through each flight -- so if they wanted to take the boat down the GU, it wouldn't have been difficult.

No, because the Northampton Arm is closed at the moment.

Unless a set of bolt-choppers was use on the padlock and chain on the top gate. Then they

just pass through the lock and replace the chain and padlock (replacing the removed link with

a cheap padlock or wire).

Firesprite

In the office

Don't forget folks,whoever stole it maybe watching this forum which might make them more evasive,like the Bismarck,though i doubt if its escaped and at large in the Atlantic ''yet''.

It might even be beat if the mods moveed this topic to a protected forum.At least then the robbers would have to log in to read it? :unsure:

Edited by bizzard

Don't forget folks,whoever stole it maybe watching this forum which might make them more evasive,like the Bismarck,though i doubt if its escaped and at large in the Atlantic ''yet''.

It might even be beat if the mods moveed this topic to a protected forum.At least then the robbers would have to log in to read it? :unsure:

There is no 'protected forum'. What do you suggest we do then Biz, ignore it?

Or perhaps you have a wheeze to find it

Richard

There is no 'protected forum'. What do you suggest we do then Biz, ignore it?

Or perhaps you have a wheeze to find it

Richard

Yes get Top-Cat to send up his aeroplane on a sortie.

I meant like the for sale and wanted forum. Log in to inspect it.But could of course be a draw back as only logged in people could read it and so cut down the chances of it being found via CWDF. I wonder if the theft has been published in the Towpath paper whatever its called.

all good points, the main problem is that we know it had gone from where it was moored by 17th May so it had a good week to get where it is going. I dont think it went north towards watford locks but someone thought they had seen it (our lock keepers have no record)

It could have gone in the window when the northampton arm was open, thats the way it came on to us in the first place other than that south or north on the grand union/oxford etc I know its a long shot.

all good points, the main problem is that we know it had gone from where it was moored by 17th May so it had a good week to get where it is going. I dont think it went north towards watford locks but someone thought they had seen it (our lock keepers have no record)

It could have gone in the window when the northampton arm was open, thats the way it came on to us in the first place other than that south or north on the grand union/oxford etc I know its a long shot.

I suggest George that everyone on the Lea & Stort keep a sharp look out as the river Stort has lots of little hidie holes on it and is quite rural and not patrolled too frequently.

I suggest George that everyone on the Lea & Stort keep a sharp look out as the river Stort has lots of little hidie holes on it and is quite rural and not patrolled too frequently.

Good going in a week, isn't it?

Richard

Unless a set of bolt-choppers was use on the padlock and chain on the top gate. Then they

just pass through the lock and replace the chain and padlock (replacing the removed link with

a cheap padlock or wire).

Firesprite

In the office

A few of those pounds have a tendancy to drain overnight, so I'd be very surprised if the flight had water in it all the way down. But of course it's slightly irrelevant if there's a chance it could have gone down during the period the arm was open.

Good going in a week, isn't it?

Richard

If its being driven intensively, it'll soon be approaching the time when it could get this far.

Edited by bizzard

A few of those pounds have a tendancy to drain overnight, so I'd be very surprised if the flight had water in it all the way down. But of course it's slightly irrelevant if there's a chance it could have gone down during the period the arm was open.

They could just fill the dry pounds as they go down, I done this myself many a time in the afternoon and early evening. Otherwise you could be waiting for hours for someone from BW to turnout. It's pounds 2,7and 11 that have the bad leaks. You only have to fill the first empty pound after that, The water goes with you. There are far more places to hide a boat on the Nene, than on the Grand Union.

Firesprite

In the roasting Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite

Looking at the various pictures there appears to be a stove chimney on the starboard side at the front of the boat. That's not that unusual, but is that another roof mounted chimney collar about half way down the same side (with cap on)? That must be a bit unusual if it is.

Also, the rear port side dolly is painted white/cream and yet there's no obvious sign of a similarly coloured dolly on the other side of the stern deck. Is it missing or has it been painted a dark colour?

I make it 5 windows and 2 portholes on one side. That's more than most 60 footers have and an easy thing to spot. Anyone looked in Atherstone where the last one went?

I make it 5 windows and 2 portholes on one side. That's more than most 60 footers have and an easy thing to spot. Anyone looked in Atherstone where the last one went?

We need Miss Marple aka Romarni on the case!

We have come through today from Long Itchington, up Calcutt, through Braunston and Buckby, and are now at Weedon.

Nothing on the main line anywhere on that stretch that looks remotely like this boat.

(............All the ones we have seen have been in focus....... Boom! Boom!.......................)

No, seriously - unless in a marina, it's not on this bit......