Heavy rope fenders

Featured Posts

Just had the boat repainted. Its a huge investment, and the boat looks lovely. Hopefully that will be it for the next 14 yrs apart from some retouching etc.

We go on teh Thames and K&A - both are quite tough on boats. And the boat is used by crews of varying experience.

The bows area, back past the big rubbing strake gets a hammering - seems to bang on everything in sight and very quickly looks rough.

I have in mind to enhance the rubbing strake with some heavy rope from the front, connected to a fixing on the gunnle just behind the cratch. I think it might soften some of the bashes a bit. Shouldn't impact the witdth or provide a dangerous hangup if I do it right. I thouht it might be possible to taper the rope towards the back with splicing.

Anyone dome anything similar - is there someone selling these somewhere?

It's why it's called a rubbing strake. Whereas big rope fenders look the part on appropriate boats, harbour tenders and tugs for instance, my opinion is they'll look horrible on a narrow boat.

I agree with Chris would look pretty dire I expect, I suspect they will soon look a bit of a mess anyway with the continued drubbing they would get.

Just had the boat repainted. Its a huge investment, and the boat looks lovely. Hopefully that will be it for the next 14 yrs apart from some retouching etc.

We go on teh Thames and K&A - both are quite tough on boats. And the boat is used by crews of varying experience.

The bows area, back past the big rubbing strake gets a hammering - seems to bang on everything in sight and very quickly looks rough.

I have in mind to enhance the rubbing strake with some heavy rope from the front, connected to a fixing on the gunnle just behind the cratch. I think it might soften some of the bashes a bit. Shouldn't impact the witdth or provide a dangerous hangup if I do it right. I thouht it might be possible to taper the rope towards the back with splicing.

Anyone dome anything similar - is there someone selling these somewhere?

It's called Kabelaring, I think. Tradline at Braunston will manufacture to your requirements

It's why it's called a rubbing strake. Whereas big rope fenders look the part on appropriate boats, harbour tenders and tugs for instance, my opinion is they'll look horrible on a narrow boat.

Chris - thanks for replying. Its a Reeves hull and they tend to have a slightly less generous back-end on the rubbing strake - all the Reeves boats locally have bashed hulls just behind the strake. Hence I want to see if I can use a rope to give a little more protection. I am hoping that someone on the forum might have had a similar idea.

Thanks for clarifying the purpose of the rubbing strake - its always good to be put in ones place by an expert.

If I was to do a lot of cruising on the K&A and/or the Thames I'd be looking to do something similar. It's a world away from some of the narrow canals where fendering is a positive handicap. But, I've experimented with rope fendering and come to the conclusion that you can't effectively protect a slab sided narrowboat that way. They may look ugly, and perhaps a bit anti social, but I think I'd use car tyres. If I ever went up the K&A again I would definately use them.

Edited by Neil2

I haven't grasped this at all. What are the dangers of travelling on the Kennet and Avon which need permanently deployed fenders of any kind?

And whereas tyres have their place I am pretty sick of heaving them out the canal because the string has broken and the boater can't be bothered to retrieve them.

Thanks for clarifying the purpose of the rubbing strake - its always good to be put in ones place by an expert.

So part of your boat is not fit for purpose so you correct it by putting in an inappropriate piece of equpment?

Thank for clarifying best practice in this situation.

Edited by Chris Pink

If I was to do a lot of cruising on the K&A and/or the Thames I'd be looking to do something similar. It's a world away from some of the narrow canals where fendering is a positive handicap. But, I've experimented with rope fendering and come to the conclusion that you can't effectively protect a slab sided narrowboat that way. They may look ugly, and perhaps a bit anti social, but I think I'd use car tyres. If I ever went up the K&A again I would definately use them.

Rope fenders are handy on the thames,we use 3 inch diameter fenders,which are about 22 inches long.

2 are deployed on the bow quarters,and the other 2 at the boat's hip,about 15 feet from the stern.

Plastic fenders,the inflatable type,are handy when mooring to uneven banks,the river provides them when they become detached from the tuppy cruisers.

The 2 fenders that are clipped to the cant rail toward the stern are handy in locks,by pointing the tiller the 'wrong' way they provide a fulcrum point for swinging the bow out when leaving locks and coming off moorings.

Edited by cereal tiller

Some hull builders ''mainly on narrowboats'' incorporate a nasty wide horizontal knuckle midway up around the bow end. If a boat with these clouts your boat they leave a nasty deep score on your gunnels.

As a large proportion of boat steerers don't seem able to judge the length of their boat.I'm always wary when one of these boats follows me into a lock as i've had my stern quarters badly damaged on several occasions.

These b----y boats certainly need a dirty great thick wrap around rope bow fender. :closedeyes:

I haven't grasped this at all. What are the dangers of travelling on the Kennet and Avon which need permanently deployed fenders of any kind?

And whereas tyres have their place I am pretty sick of heaving them out the canal because the string has broken and the boater can't be bothered to retrieve them.

So part of your boat is not fit for purpose so you correct it by putting in an inappropriate piece of equpment?

Thank for clarifying best practice in this situation.

No problem Chris - thank you for your interesting perspective. I hope you feel better soon. Be careful you don't bust a blood vessel pulling all those tyres out.

No problem Chris - thank you for your interesting perspective. I hope you feel better soon. Be careful you don't bust a blood vessel pulling all those tyres out.

And I hope you learn to steer your boat properly sometime soon ( that's boat speak for 'drive')

Edited by Chris Pink

They may look ugly, and perhaps a bit anti social, but I think I'd use car tyres. If I ever went up the K&A again I would definately use them.

Tyre have the nasty habit of getting torn off and looking for the propellor of the next boat along to jump onto, or failing that to hide behind a lock gate to prevent it being opened.

From some of the comments I read here boaters on the K&A might appreciate the excuse of having a tyre on the blades or gates that won't open as a reason for not moving, so you could be popular there (I joke, honestly ;) )

Edited by Tam & Di

It's called Kabelaring, I think. Tradline at Braunston will manufacture to your requirements

Tradline can supply but it's not cheap though. It will be a top quality item though.

I have seen someone on eBay selling what in effect is a very long rope fender of about 1.5 metres. I can't see anything on there at the min and can't remember the sellers ID. If I find it I will post a link.

Thanks for the suggestions. Clearly whats needed is a good load of old tyres, tied on with baler twine so I can 'drive' my 'barge' (as we say) up the K&A, shedding a few as we go past Newbury and on. I look forward to watching Chris fishing them out as we veer past. Happy days 'on the cut' (that's boat speak for the canal).

• 4 weeks later...

Update - advised by excellent Blackrose I got in touch with Walker Rubber - http://www.walker-rubber.co.uk, who make fender extrusions in all sorts of sizes.

Today they delivered a few metres of heavy rubber tube which can be threaded with rope and thus create what looks to me like a very good enhanced bow rubbing strake. Just the job.

Looks to me like one could use the same people to make your own pipe-fenders at less than half the price of the chandlers too.

Thanks to Blackrose for the advice.

Tyre have the nasty habit of getting torn off and looking for the propellor of the next boat along to jump onto, or failing that to hide behind a lock gate to prevent it being opened.

never lost a tyre yet, in fact almost essential kit when descending Nene locks as the stupid way the safety chains were installed catches the base place as you go down

never lost a tyre yet, in fact almost essential kit when descending Nene locks as the stupid way the safety chains were installed catches the base place as you go down

I keep away from the edge and try to avoide using any ropes in those locks so the boat constantly moves about.

Chris - thanks for replying. Its a Reeves hull and they tend to have a slightly less generous back-end on the rubbing strake - all the Reeves boats locally have bashed hulls just behind the strake. Hence I want to see if I can use a rope to give a little more protection. I am hoping that someone on the forum might have had a similar idea.

They look ideal for hanging up on, a long loop fixed at each end.

I keep away from the edge and try to avoide using any ropes in those locks so the boat constantly moves about.

They look ideal for hanging up on, a long loop fixed at each end.

Yes - that thought had occured to me too - along with the risk of 'catching' on another boat if it powered out of a narrow lock first with fenders down. But I think a deliberate 'weak-link' in the rope, and careful shaping of the tail end ought to make it work. The ones on Blackrose boat look pretty safe to me.