Liveaboards

blackrose

Featured Posts

I was speaking to someone on the phone tonight and I happened to mention that I nearly missed her call because I was outside getting some wood off the roof for the fire. She asked me why I needed the fire on and said that she hadn't had the heating on in her flat for weeks because it's been so mild. I guess her flat must be very well insulated?

To be honest it's so long since I lived in a house or flat that I've forgotten when the heating usually goes on & off. It's about 7.5 degrees C outside tonight but I'm sure if I had no heating on it would only be about 13 degrees C in the boat which isn't warm enough for me.

So does everyone else still have their heating on or is it just me?

Edited by blackrose

I was speaking to someone on the phone tonight and I happened to mention that I nearly missed her call because I was outside getting some wood off the roof for the fire. She asked me why I needed the fire on and said that she hadn't had the heating on in her flat for weeks because it's been so mild. I guess her flat must be very well insulated?

To be honest it's so long since I lived in a house or flat that I've forgotten when the heating usually goes on & off. It's about 7.5 degrees C outside tonight but I'm sure if I had no heating on it would only be about 13 degrees C in the boat which isn't warm enough for me.

So does everyone else still have their heating on or is it just me?

mine is still on, I let it go very low in the day though, don't usually stoke it up until late afternoon.

Its still frosty at night up this way.

It will take a few warm days and mild evenings before I let it go out completely.

We still have our stove on in the evenings, but we let it go out in the day and overnight. I actually prefer cold winter when it's on 24/7 or summer when it's not on because you don't get those mild evenings in spring / autumn where you think "it'll be ok not to light the stove tonight" and freeze your socks off round about 10pm when you're thinking it's not worth lighting it!

I've been lighting it when I come in after work recently and letting it go out during the day. I came back late one evening last week and it was down to 12 degrees and as Mike says thats a bit too cold for me.

We still have our stove on in the evenings, but we let it go out in the day and overnight. I actually prefer cold winter when it's on 24/7 or summer when it's not on because you don't get those mild evenings in spring / autumn where you think "it'll be ok not to light the stove tonight" and freeze your socks off round about 10pm when you're thinking it's not worth lighting it!

Ditto here - I'm not starting the Rayburn because I'm not getting in until 8pm at the moment but I must say it's taters now. I prefer it when the Rayburn is left in for weeks on end or else is totally off. Off to boil a kettle now for my collection of hot water bottles....

Mines still going, but let it go out in the day. Last year it was stopped at the end of March until the 1st of December 2011. When it costs less than the coal, to run the little fan heater periodically each week, I stop using the fire.

Buildings are usually much better than boats at insulation.

Ours is still on and we live in a bunglow ! Flats generally keep heat in , your friend mite not have heating on , but everyone else does in " the block " keeping your friends flat warm especially if they live on top floor !!!!

Guest wanted

We're in that 'do we let it go out or not' faze at the moment. I have 3 and a half bags of coal left and don't want to buy anymore if I can help it......

Ours is still on and we live in a bunglow ! Flats generally keep heat in , your friend mite not have heating on , but everyone else does in " the block " keeping your friends flat warm especially if they live on top floor !!!!

That's what I think too, but I think that if she's not at the top floor, and surrounded by others living in appartments below, above, left and right of hers, that like their places to be warm, she will get at least some of their heat for free, and it will never be as cold as on an unheated boat.

Peter.

We put 18 briquettes of fuel on in the evening circa 20:00, rev t up a ittle, turn it down again come 23:00 hrs, and it just ticks over until, 20:00 the following day, just providing that lovely gentle background heat even though the hatches may be open during these warm afternoons

Quite comfy and indulgent really!

As Mr Deks has to get out of bed at 4.15am, we keep ours in overnight. By the time I get up at 7 it's so warm I just leave it to go out, and then we resurrect it in the evening if need be. As we both cycle, I find I get home very warm, and don't need the fire on, especially if we're cooking.

I know we need rain, but I am rather enjoying this weather. Anyone know if we're due for a very hot spell over April again?

We put 18 briquettes of fuel on in the evening circa 20:00, rev t up a ittle, turn it down again come 23:00 hrs, and it just ticks over until, 20:00 the following day, just providing that lovely gentle background heat even though the hatches may be open during these warm afternoons

Quite comfy and indulgent really!

What sort of briquettes are those? Coal? or those processed wood ones?

We just have coal on overnight in the Squirrel to take the chill off the air. Hoping not to have to buy any more coal this season!

Still on 24/7, albeit turned down low, even if out at work all day. It's nice to come home to a warm boat.

My heating is still on too, but as it's on a thermostat it will only come on when the temperature drops below the setting.

We didn't have a very cold winter and I have dubbel-glazing but I used for 1200 € of fuel this winter, so surely MUCH more than an s.f. would have cost to run.

Comfort is becoming too much of a luxury for my empty wallet.

Peter.

That's what I think too, but I think that if she's not at the top floor, and surrounded by others living in appartments below, above, left and right of hers, that like their places to be warm, she will get at least some of their heat for free, and it will never be as cold as on an unheated boat.

Peter.

I said that to her but she seemed to think nobody in the block had their heating on. I don't know how she knows?

My Squirrel is currently set to two ecofan revolutions a second and the hatch is open!

Ahh. Someone who appreciates the true purpose of an Ecofan.

Edited by dor

Bubble stove gets lite if it is chilly. Eberspacher for first thing in the morning still if enough bettery power left. Now we are out of the marina electric blanket off the bed but hot water bottles at the ready