Front loading cassette?

Tomska

Featured Posts

Sorry - I did do a search, but couldn't find what I needed.

I need a new lav and want to put in something a bit nicer than my old portaloo, not least because I want to sell my boat this summer. There's no way to fit a pump-out (I don't like them but i perceive it as easier to sell a boat with one so would put it in if I could). I like the look of Thetford's cassette toilets, but there's no way for me to be able to get round the back to get the cassette out.

So for those that have been through this, what are my options? Does anyone know of a front-loading cassette toilet? I can't find anything online, so I'm not hopeful. Surely this must come up a lot too - Thetford are missing a trick, I reckon. At least they do a slightly better looking and taller portaloo now. Anyone got an Excellence?

Any other suggestions welcome. Except maybe "a cork"...

Thanks all.

I need a new lav and want to put in something a bit nicer than my old portaloo, not least because I want to sell my boat this summer. There's no way to fit a pump-out (I don't like them but i perceive it as easier to sell a boat with one so would put it in if I could). I like the look of Thetford's cassette toilets, but there's no way for me to be able to get round the back to get the cassette out.

So for those that have been through this, what are my options? Does anyone know of a front-loading cassette toilet? I can't find anything online, so I'm not hopeful. Surely this must come up a lot too - Thetford are missing a trick, I reckon. At least they do a slightly better looking and taller portaloo now. Anyone got an Excellence?

Thanks all.

There was one a few years ago with a ceramic hob and sensibly the cassette came out the front I saw it at the brum boat show but that was probably ten years ago.

There was one a few years ago with a ceramic hob and sensibly the cassette came out the front I saw it at the brum boat show but that was probably ten years ago.

With a ceramic bowl would be even better. Thanks. Hopefully that means there really is one out there...

Edited by Tomska

Thanks all.

The problem here is Thetford cassette toilets are in the main intended to be installed in Caravans and Motorhomes. Hence the tank comes out the back into the fresh/open air.

Fitting one in a boat is a compromise, as 'out the back' inevitably means into a corridor/cupboard and the like. I don't think any of their current products open in the way you describe as they would be pointless in their main intended installation as in caravan/motor home..

The problem here is Thetford cassette toilets are in the main intended to be installed in Caravans and Motorhomes. Hence the tank comes out the back into the fresh/open air.

Fitting one in a boat is a compromise, as 'out the back' inevitably means into a corridor/cupboard and the like. I don't think any of their current products open in the way you describe as they would be pointless in their main intended installation as in caravan/motor home..

That's exactly the problem we had and why we've got one of the standard 2 piece (cassette and bowl / water tank ones). On a 40' boat there's not a lot of corridor / cupboard options.

Lee Sanitation made one. I seem to recall it was a bit cobbled together from one manufacturer's ceramic bowl, another's spare cassette and a housing made up by Leesan from plastic poo tank material.

Don't know if they still make it.

David

The problem here is Thetford cassette toilets are in the main intended to be installed in Caravans and Motorhomes. Hence the tank comes out the back into the fresh/open air.Fitting one in a boat is a compromise, as 'out the back' inevitably means into a corridor/cupboard and the like.

Indeed. Unfortunately "out the back" for me means through the hull.

I don't think any of their current products open in the way you describe as they would be pointless in their main intended installation as in caravan/motor home..

True, but given the thousands of Portapottis installed in boats I'm sure Thetford are aware of the market. Thinking about it, you can get a floor plate for the new Excellence specifically designed to secure it to boat floors, so they know we're buying.

I guess it's a matter of scale - they have a small range & it must cost a lot to launch a new design. But I reckon it would be worth their while. Especially if they marketed it as a boat toilet. A ceramic bowl would be a great idea too...

Lee Sanitation made one. I seem to recall it was a bit cobbled together from one manufacturer's ceramic bowl, another's spare cassette and a housing made up by Leesan from plastic poo tank material.

Don't know if they still make it.

David

Had a look. They do a flash-looking cassette with a ceramic bowl, but it's a rear-access job.

True, but given the thousands of Portapottis installed in boats I'm sure Thetford are aware of the market. Thinking about it, you can get a floor plate for the new Excellence specifically designed to secure it to boat floors, so they know we're buying.

I guess it's a matter of scale - they have a small range & it must cost a lot to launch a new design. But I reckon it would be worth their while. Especially if they marketed it as a boat toilet. A ceramic bowl would be a great idea too...

I have always wondered why a front loader is not readily available, after all if there is room to sit on and do then there is always going to be room to pull the cassette out of the front. I believe there are many boat applications where that would be the better option.

Indeed -

Why though? either way the waste tank still has to come through the boat to be emptied. It matters not a jot if it comes out the front or the back.

Edited by MJG

Why not make a circular turntable in or on the floor,like a large record turntable.You just turn it round half a turn to pull the cassette out,or better still motorize it and then you can sit on it and go whirling round and round at the correct old record speed of 78rpm,45 or even 33and a turd rpm. :closedeyes:

So you're not after an 8 track?

Yes, I was getting quite excited and was going to offer him my Nakamichi front loading cassette deck. Beautiful piece of kit for which there is no room or power for on the boat, nor the Rega turntable.

But some of their caravan cassette toilets had a swivel bowl, I know ours did.. But I do not think it swiveled 360 deg though.

Indeed - ...Why though? either way the waste tank still has to come through the boat to be emptied. It matters not a jot if it comes out the front or the back.

Sorry, not sure what you mean? The only place my bog can go is against the hull. It might just about fit against the wall which backs onto the cooker at a pinch. Once plumbed in there's just no way for me to get at the back of a cassette toilet. I think this likely to be true for many boaters.

Thanks all.

This was what we had on Albion. There was a small door in the low level bulkhead to the right of the Thetford and, as you know, the bowl swivels so you could have this arrangement to the RHS, LHS or back of your loo to suit your design. Albion Thetford

Roger

Edited by Albion

Sorry, not sure what you mean? The only place my bog can go is against the hull. It might just about fit against the wall which backs onto the cooker at a pinch. Once plumbed in there's just no way for me to get at the back of a cassette toilet. I think this likely to be true for many boaters.

Special hatches in the bulkhead and rear of oven and extract it through the front oven door.

I think this likely to be true for many boaters.

I think not given the massive number of boats that have cassette loos fitted of which the cassette is removed out of a side/back wall...

Edited by MJG

Well I'm not going to bicker about it. I think if there was a front loading cassette toilet on the market, boaters would buy it.

OK...

You asked if there was a front loading cassette, it seems there isn't, the advantage of such a system was queried due to the fact that multiple boats are satisfactorily fitted with cassette loos from which the cassette is removed into the corridor or a cupboard, and either way that offers no significant advantage as the cassette would still have to be carried through the boat.

Why would Thetford bulk manufacture a loo design that very few boaters actually need or want given the sensible ways their design is incorporated into most current and modern designs of boats very satisfactorily...

It's not bickering...just common sense..

Well I'm not going to bicker about it. I think if there was a front loading cassette toilet on the market, boaters would buy it.

Hi

The C200 cassette seat swivels through 90 degrees, so it can come out the 'side' if that helps.

There is this one if you can make enough room to twist it inside the bathroom. Thetford C403L and it big enough not to need fastening to the wall

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Just to add another alternative, you could consider putting in a composting toilet, which is smaller, easier to use, better for the environment and has a front urine cassette too!

t_air%20head%20woodopen.jpg

Ok, it is more expensive than a Thetford Cassette toilet, but is a good selling point.

:o Do you realy think a composting bog would be a good selling point ? I would put it up there with Gas free boats as a definately dont even bother looking kinda boat...........

Just to add another alternative, you could consider putting in a composting toilet, which is smaller, easier to use, better for the environment and has a front urine cassette too!

t_air%20head%20woodopen.jpg

Ok, it is more expensive than a Thetford Cassette toilet, but is a good selling point.

A http too many...

OK...

You asked if there was a front loading cassette, it seems there isn't, the advantage of such a system was queried due to the fact that multiple boats are satisfactorily fitted with cassette loos from which the cassette is removed into the corridor or a cupboard, and either way that offers no significant advantage as the cassette would still have to be carried through the boat.

Why would Thetford bulk manufacture a loo design that very few boaters actually need or want given the sensible ways their design is incorporated into most current and modern designs of boats very satisfactorily...

It's not bickering...just common sense..

What you mean is, why would they manufacture a new model when people are willing to work round the limitations of the existing one to fit it in a new boat, even though it is often very awkward, because, as you said earlier, boats are not their primary market by a long way. It does mean that it is often going to be impossible to retrofit one into an existing layout though.

Why not just get a nice shiny new porta potti.