Aftersale Issues

JamesLeeds

Featured Posts

I think Next do them as well. Theidea is that it provides dated proof of purchase without the value showing, so your recipient hasthe option to take it back for exchange but otherwise doesn't know how mean you have been.

Marks and Spencer do them (or did, not bought anything in there lately).

So do Amazon - if you order a present and have it delivered direct to the recipient gift wrapped - they enclose the receipt in an envelope with a warning on the outside not to open it as it will let them know that the present is.

It doesn't have the value of the item on it though only what it is and when it was purchased.

AFAIK most of the big stores do them. Certainly Next, BHS, M&S, Asda, Sainsbury, Tesco, Morrisons, New Look............. I always ask for a Gift receipt when buying clothes, slippers for someone as a gift, in case they don't fit or are not t their taste. Never been refused yet and in fact have been asked at the checkout if I require one at Christmas time. I have also asked when purchasing something for a birthday present - just in case.

I think Next do them as well. Theidea is that it provides dated proof of purchase without the value showing, so your recipient hasthe option to take it back for exchange but otherwise doesn't know how mean you have been.

Some old fashioned, high quality, expensive and somewhat sexist (perhaps) restaurants do the same thing with menus. the man gets the one with the price on and the lady gets the one without the prices.

Nick

Some old fashioned, high quality, expensive and somewhat sexist (perhaps) restaurants do the same thing with menus. the man gets the one with the price on and the lady gets the one without the prices.

Nick

Some REALLY expensive restaurants provide menus without prices at all - -- and work on the principle that if you have to ask - you can't afford to eat there

I'll take your word for it!

I remember going to one restaurant which had no written menu - the proprietress told you what you were going to eat when you arrived! Whether it was expensive I cannot say as it was someone else's treat, but as it was owned by a bloke with a name like Justin Le Blanc it probably was.

Some REALLY expensive restaurants provide menus without prices at all - -- and work on the principle that if you have to ask - you can't afford to eat there

I thought the law was all restaurants had to display their menu with prices outside these days - its so people can decide before going in whether they want to or not

• 1 month later...

Sorry not replied to this for a while..short update would be:

Further letter with a more detailed report, including full engine strip down, out of water examination, and various complaints around condition or structure (I.e. an area cut out of bulkhead, or a screw poking out of it)

Few phone calls asking for settlement and threats of court

.. Looks like I'm going to court next! :(

Sorry not replied to this for a while..short update would be:

Further letter with a more detailed report, including full engine strip down, out of water examination, and various complaints around condition or structure (I.e. an area cut out of bulkhead, or a screw poking out of it)

Few phone calls asking for settlement and threats of court

.. Looks like I'm going to court next! :(

Keep a diary... This could turn into harassment.

Block his phone number.

I'm willing to bet you 20 quid this never goes to court (although I'd like to be considered in the expenses claim if I'm wrong ;) )

If he was serious he wouldn't be ringing all the time, he'd have filed a money claim with the online service, having sent you a letter before action.

Chancer, loony, fool; take your pick. I sorely doubt "claimant" is on that list although the courts are littered with loonies making vexatious claims.

Keep a diary... This could turn into harassment.

Block his phone number.

I'm willing to bet you 20 quid this never goes to court (although I'd like to be considered in the expenses claim if I'm wrong ;) )

If he was serious he wouldn't be ringing all the time, he'd have filed a money claim with the online service, having sent you a letter before action.

Chancer, loony, fool; take your pick. I sorely doubt "claimant" is on that list although the courts are littered with loonies making vexatious claims.

I'll take all 3!

Well a lot of effort going into trying to 'Settle out of court' as he believes he has a 'Strong Case'.. I hope you are right as I really dont need the stress despite a strong possibility it wont cost me a penny. I was firstly somewhat sympathetic as I dont like people to think badly of me, or think I have done anything wrong here.. now Its just annoying, the phonecalls have been pretty much ridiculous.

I did offer to get my solicitor to send over an introductory letter to help get the proceedings started, to which the buyer politely declined in favour of seeking further legal advice :P

James - - -

I endorse what Smelly's just written

The guy's a bully, and is merely trying to bully you into conceding to his totally unreasonable requests.

Block his number on your phone.

If he writes to you, by all means open the letter, but don't throw it - keep it - for if any-all of the contents are unreasonable - your future legal advisor may well find them extremely useful.

And welcome your day in court (not that it will likely get to that) for, as Smells says - the Courts are used to dealing with vexatious claims, and from what you've said initially - you appear to have handled the transaction correctly and honourably in the first place

James - - -

I endorse what Smelly's just written

The guy's a bully, and is merely trying to bully you into conceding to his totally unreasonable requests.

Block his number on your phone.

If he writes to you, by all means open the letter, but don't throw it - keep it - for if any-all of the contents are unreasonable - your future legal advisor may well find them extremely useful.

And welcome your day in court (not that it will likely get to that) for, as Smells says - the Courts are used to dealing with vexatious claims, and from what you've said initially - you appear to have handled the transaction correctly and honourably in the first place

I handled the sale like anyone would. If I have said anything like 'Its a good boat' it was purely driven from the fact I had lived on it for 2 years and used it regularly without issue. I'm not a marine engineer / surveyor so dont see how I could be held accountable for things beyond my knowledge anyway.. One often puts issues down to 'Its just boating.. thats how it is' :)

I know this does not really help BUT, I think I would have just knocked him out by now.

Sorry if this goes against the love felt in the forum, now and again it just needs to be done.

Hope it works out for you. I am looking at buying at the moment, I hope I meet a seller who is straight as you appear from this thread.

cheers

Smudge