Pump out holding tank

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Oh Godddd. No I have not.

Is this hypothetical, or is this what is about to happen to you when it thaws?

Don't panic, your boat doesn't get to stand long enough for the cold too creep in enough.

Tawny Owl has never spilt a tank, even after cold soaking for a fortnight

Richard

Ian and Ali

Chill (pun intended), reading some of your recent posts, you do seem to worry about what might happen.

They probably never will and if they do, you will deal with them.

Relax and enjoy your boating.

:cheers:

Wrong! they can burst,bust,split, crack and de joint when they freeze, you only see it when they thaw.

Like everything else, when water gets colder and freezes, it shrinks.

When it gets warmer, it expands, producing the pressure that causes the fracture.

When it gets warmer, it expands, producing the pressure that causes the fracture.

Sorry Brian - - - But when water freezes it expands - (and splits the pipes etc) when it thaws - you notice the split

Edited by Grace & Favour

Yes water does expand when heated, and contract as it cools, but it then expands as it freezes. The pipework however can handle the presure of heated water(to a point!) as it also expands when hot, but then contracts when cold so the presure from the frozen water has knowhere to go and fractures the pipe or fittings.

really?

I was under the impression that yes water cools and contracts, but when it freezes it expands significantly. So the expanding freezing ice bursts the pipe, but as its solid it doesnt leak, but when it thaws out, the water leaks through the now-split pipe!

Ok I stand corrected, water apparently behaves differently fom other liquids when it gets below 4 degrees C.

I must have skipped that chemistry lesson!

I am duly humbled.

Ok I stand corrected, water apparently behaves differently fom other liquids when it gets below 4 degrees C.

I am duly humbled.

In many ways, water is a very unusual molecule

Richard

I am duly humbled.

Water also freezes from the outside of a pool towards the middle. If it didn't do that, and behaved like other liquids, there would have been no life on Earth.

The 4 degree turn around is (i think) called the "anomalous expansion of water".

O level physics was a while ago.

We went to Saul festival before owning a boat (drawn by the music) but walking the canal we met an old brummie boat owner, well into his 70's and full of stories. One was about a split poo tank and the only solution to the lingering smell was to get a new and bigger boat.

Another story was that after his doctor told him to stop smoking weed (about a pound each week) his otherwise perfect health had gone downhill!!!!.

We thought we like these people...lets get a boat and join them!

..........Dave

Wrong again I'm afraid. Why do you think antifreeze is necessary in a watercooled engine.

Basic O level physics.

ETA see this has already been covered.

Edited by Biggles