Advice sought

Notlostyet

Featured Posts

I posted earlier that my boat would be ready for christmas but due to the inevitable delays it will now be ready in about three weeks times.

I know this will sound stupid and im a bit embarrased to ask but.......

I dont really have a clue what i need to buy/organise as my knowledge of boats is pretty limited.

I have sorted out a residential mooring so thats taken care of, but its all the other little things like rope, insurance that i know or will forget and some things i wont even be aware of

Can anyone please give me an idea of things i will need to sort out or buy prioir to it coming

Its 12ftx57ft i know i need ropes but which ones or what length i dont have a clue?

Any ideas or advice on anything i will need will be greatly appriciated

Sorry for any spelling mistakes im typing this on my daughters ipad and i can hardly see the words!

It's not clear if you are planning on staying put on your resi. mooring or if you are going to go cruising too -

If cruising you will also need a shed load of things you won't need if staying put.

Ed. to add

(PS- don't be embarrassed to ask stuff - we all started somewhere and had to ask basic questions too (and still do - we are still learning too after 18 months of ownership.)

Edited by MJG

Thanks for the quick replys

Coal is on my list, thanks

Im planning to cruise around as i think ill learn more by actually travelling

Its the obvious things that i think ill miss like roper length, thickness,, how many fenders do i need, which fenders?

So basically once is dropped in the water ill need fuel, water, coal (thanks for that john) what else? I no ill need food before anyone mentions that

I just mean things that are not fitted to a brand new boat

I think im having a panic attack its getting toooooo close ha ha

Thanks for the quick replys

Coal is on my list, thanks

Im planning to cruise around as i think ill learn more by actually travelling

Its the obvious things that i think ill miss like roper length, thickness,, how many fenders do i need, which fenders?

So basically once is dropped in the water ill need fuel, water, coal (thanks for that john) what else? I no ill need food before anyone mentions that

I just mean things that are not fitted to a brand new boat

I think im having a panic attack its getting toooooo close ha ha

OK

- windlass x 2

- Mooring spikes x 2

- Mallet

- Mooring hooks x 2

- BW key

- Handcuff key

- Life ring (optional I would say)

- You give your location as Wakefiled which puts you on the Aire & Calder - if you come up to the bits where the commercial boats go you will need a VHF radio to monitor the traffic.

- if going onto the Calder & Hebble you'll need a 'spike' to operate the locks.

- Nicholson's guides

- Life jacket(s) and a suitable anchor if you are planning to go on any fast flowing rivers (optional again as you will be best to build up some experience before doing this)

- Plank & pole, and a boat hook.

I will have missed loads and others will chip in.

PS if you are at Wakefiled there is an excellent little chandelers at Methley who will have or be be able to get you all the bits you will need, they will also sort you out with ropes suitable for your sized boat - I would have 2 centrelines for convenience.

Edited by MJG

A Nichollson (or similar) Guide to the waterways you'll be travelling on. Gives you all the waterpoints/toilet

emptying/turning points/locks/bridges etc. Absolutely essential!

Also a British Waterways key to operate some of these. You can get these from BW, or cheaper on ebay.

Loads of other stuff, but you wont find out which til you find you haven't got one!

Happy cruising

Brian

A Nichollson (or similar) Guide to the waterways you'll be travelling on. Gives you all the waterpoints/toilet

Also a British Waterways key to operate some of these. You can get these from BW, or cheaper on ebay.

Loads of other stuff, but you wont find out which til you find you haven't got one!

Happy cruising

Brian

Just a caveat on that Brian, hope you don't mind - Nicholson's cannot be relied upon as to the accuracy of the information they contain - we've been led to a long since closed water point on more than one occasion.

Happy cruising

Brian

A shortlist for me would be.

minimum 4 long mooring pins ( you will lose some )

2 Lump hammers

I never use a pole or plank or even own them nut you may need to at first.

16 or 18mm rope. Thinner stuff is a pain on the hands when cold and wet. You will need front and rear of about 30 feet long

You may need a centre rope, again about 30 feet long.

A 20 kg danforth pattern anchor ( heavier would be better but you have to be able to lift it and chuck it over the side ) with heavy chain and warp depending on useage. Just to make you feel better I have never had to deploy one in 23 years.

Smokeless fuel for the stove.

Mooring nappy pins are ok but at least 2 lengths of mooring chain is better ( Goes round the armco siding on some canal stretches ) and means dont have to suffer mooring pins being pulled out.

Nicholsons guides are handy.

At least 2 bw keys and handcuff keys.

Have fun :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly

Just a caveat on that Brian, hope you don't mind - Nicholson's cannot be relied upon as to the accuracy of the information they contain - we've been led to a long since closed water point on more than one occasion.

Yes. I agree with that. But its a good deal better than nothing at all!

There are other guides, like Pearsons etc, but I guess they are all going to be a bit out of date the minute they are

printed each year or so.

But there is also all the online info available on the internet these days, which probably means the paper guides will soon

become pretty redundant for that very reason. Assuming you can get a reliable internet connection.

Brian

Hey Martin, didn;t you realise the second time you went to this disused water point that it is in fact disused?

Martyn :rolleyes:

:lol:

perhaps he thought it would be undisused when he went back!!

I would say a full set of waterproofs, store them near the tiller position as you never know when it is going to batter down in this country.

I posted earlier that my boat would be ready for christmas but due to the inevitable delays it will now be ready in about three weeks times.

I know this will sound stupid and im a bit embarrased to ask but.......

I dont really have a clue what i need to buy/organise as my knowledge of boats is pretty limited.

I have sorted out a residential mooring so thats taken care of, but its all the other little things like rope, insurance that i know or will forget and some things i wont even be aware of

Can anyone please give me an idea of things i will need to sort out or buy prioir to it coming

Its 12ftx57ft i know i need ropes but which ones or what length i dont have a clue?

Any ideas or advice on anything i will need will be greatly appriciated

Sorry for any spelling mistakes im typing this on my daughters ipad and i can hardly see the words!

One of the main things required is a good argument to back up your choice of toilet. Popcorn time :banghead:

Thought of summit' else...

If your diesel and water caps are of the slotted design you will need one of these to get the diesel and water caps off -

and your toilet pump out tank deck fitting cap if you have one -- normally called a 'pump out key'

h-10011.jpg

(though I would expect a new boat to come with one :unsure: )

That is a brass one - cheaper plastic ones can be bought.

and summit else -

a full spare set of keys for the boat plus a cork float for both sets....

Edited by MJG

Thanks for all your replies have not thought of even half these things so greatly appreciated keep them coming just trying not to panic too much as time is very short i always leave things till last min :blush: thanks again will be mooring near doncaster

A shortlist for me would be.

minimum 4 long mooring pins ( you will lose some )

2 Lump hammers

I never use a pole or plank or even own them nut you may need to at first.

16 or 18mm rope. Thinner stuff is a pain on the hands when cold and wet. You will need front and rear of about 30 feet long

A 20 kg danforth pattern anchor ( heavier would be better but you have to be able to lift it and chuck it over the side ) with heavy chain and warp depending on useage. Just to make you feel better I have never had to deploy one in 23 years.

Smokeless fuel for the stove.

Mooring nappy pins are ok but at least 2 lengths of mooring chain is better ( Goes round the armco siding on some canal stretches ) and means dont have to suffer mooring pins being pulled out.

Nicholsons guides are handy.

At least 2 bw keys and handcuff keys.

Good sized ropes I always have the front rope long enough to reach right to the back that way it can be used for ascending locks.

Have fun :cheers:

You WILL need a centre rope! It's one of a narrowboater's best friends (the other is beer, best left until you have ties up for the night). Keep the non-attached end of it within reach of your steering position for easier control when getting off the boat. That's the centre rope, not the beer.

Fire extinguishers, fire blanket in the galley, fresh water containers (some people drink the water from their boat's tank but many, including us, do not), saw (for that lovely free firewood which you'll find along the towpath).

Our fresh water containers are simply old 2-litre Coke bottles which we fill up at each water point.

wotHeSaidAnd:

Doormats to keep the mud at bay.

An extendable 3 section boat hook (very useful)

A powerful magnet with cord for fishing

About 8 m of ~6mm cord. Useful for creating loops around iron rail piling where nappy pins won't fit

Firelighters

Means of lighting same

Stove (if you haven't already got one)

An infinite supply of warm clothing

Sunhat / dark glasses for cruising into the sun

Sponges for wiping wet stuff

A bucket

A large adjustable wrench

A basic toolkit

Spares for everything

Torches (LED by preference)

Lots of watertight snappy plastic food-type containers a la Lakelend and elsewhere

Full set of stove tools

Full set of toilet tools

Sweeping brush, hand brush & tray

Paper & permanent markers

L plates (car ones will do) magnetic best

5 L bottle of antifreeze (blue or pink but the same as is already in)

Oven glove for use with the stove

Container for hot ash

Lots of bags for rubbish

Loo rolls

Waterproof binoculars for working out what is happening at the lock ahead

Indoor shoes

Kindle

Wellies

Edited by system 4-50