apologies

sorry

Featured Posts

I have to admit to having a problem getting Badseys 72 foot around nb ZOE on our annual trip last month and it is great that Sorry now knows the problem and may possibly pass it on to other widebeamers because sorry is not alone. this is our entry in another thread of 4th December.....

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thankyou for kind words.

Wife has just reminded me of another subject that came up on our travels....

There seem to be more widebeam boats on the GU than we have noticed before and we have two questions about them that other boaters had also mentioned without prompting:

1) We were about to enter Blisworth Tunnel (about 100 yards away) when a widebeam emerged with two unconcerned people on the back - what would have happened if we had not decided to have another cup of tea before entering - such as - we would see a boat headlight coming toward us and hug the starboard side but would not have known it was a widebeam until MAJOR HEAD-ON CRUNCH! And then what? (assuming we were both still afloat)- Badsey is not good at reverse at the best of times and prolonged reversing makes all the sump oil migrate from the engine to the Brunton gearbox - so would they reverse a mile? IF they had given notice to BW - nobody warned us not to enter.

2) Why were most of the moored widebeam boats we passed, always seem to be moored where their width makes maximum difficulty for others such as on sharp bends or at bridgholes?

:smiley_offtopic: I wonder why the 240V socket in the master bedroom has been mounted upside down??? - it looks like a standard 240v plug, plugged into it (rather then an adaptor)...but the wire is coming out the top... :blink:

The switch is at the bottom, so it is upside down... strange..

I guess not so much anger in my case, as very genuine surprise Mike, (honestly!).

I find it genuinely staggering that anybody comes to the canals spending a very substantial six figure sum to have a bespoke boat built to their requirements, but then has it launched with apparently no knowledge of the environment into which it is going, or of its possible impact.

We are not talking about complex stuff here. The fact that mooring on lock approaches causes problems would I should have thought be blindingly obvious to most people who have put themselves in such a situation, particularly after a year and a half living on board. As I said, just reading the "Boater's Guide" tells you not to, without any further research required.

It is clearly the case that if you commission a boat like this, that becomes the subject of a magazine review, and much internet discussion, you are going to be far more "conspicuous" than the average narrow boater. The whole topic of it being a residential boat, attracting a huge saving due to no VAT, and actual statements in the press that "the owner doesn't plan to travel very far" have made it perhaps one of the most "public" wide beams around. That, coupled with its sheer bulk, almost guarantees it is going to be noticed, so if the owner wants all the "noticing" to be positive, it is, in my opinion, important they quickly come up to speed on what are usually considered "unreasonable" practices by those actually wanting to move boats about the canal.

I am not sure vast and bulk are relative descriptions of Zoe, after all, two narrow boats breasted up are bigger, and yes, I have seen breasted up moored on lock landings :)

The switch is at the bottom, so it is upside down... strange..

I want to know what you two were doing in her bedroom? ;)

I have to admit to having a problem getting Badseys 72 foot around nb ZOE on our annual trip last month and it is great that Sorry now knows the problem and may possibly pass it on to other widebeamers because sorry is not alone. this is our entry in another thread of 4th December.....

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thankyou for kind words.

Wife has just reminded me of another subject that came up on our travels....

There seem to be more widebeam boats on the GU than we have noticed before and we have two questions about them that other boaters had also mentioned without prompting:

1) We were about to enter Blisworth Tunnel (about 100 yards away) when a widebeam emerged with two unconcerned people on the back - what would have happened if we had not decided to have another cup of tea before entering - such as - we would see a boat headlight coming toward us and hug the starboard side but would not have known it was a widebeam until MAJOR HEAD-ON CRUNCH! And then what? (assuming we were both still afloat)- Badsey is not good at reverse at the best of times and prolonged reversing makes all the sump oil migrate from the engine to the Brunton gearbox - so would they reverse a mile? IF they had given notice to BW - nobody warned us not to enter.

2) Why were most of the moored widebeam boats we passed, always seem to be moored where their width makes maximum difficulty for others such as on sharp bends or at bridgholes?

I understood widebeams had to pre book by 24hrs for blisworth tunnel?

My opinion is that most wide beam boat owners are not really interested in boats or boating at all,and are therefore not willing to learn any boating skills or etiquette, and rarely move,thank goodness (on this narrow and windey R.Stort)except for refueling and pumping out the bog and when they do they usually try to speed taking all the water out of the river and wash the banks away. (Have you noticed how wide the Stort is becoming).

I understood widebeams had to pre book by 24hrs for blisworth tunnel?

Not if you are a very important person. You also a similar attitude in the narrows at the top of the Llangollen not bothering to check for oncoming boats.

My opinion is that most wide beam boat owners are not really interested in boats or boating at all,and are therefore not willing to learn any boating skills or etiquette, and rarely move,thank goodness (on this narrow and windey R.Stort)except for refueling and pumping out the bog and when they do they usually try to speed taking all the water out of the river and wash the banks away. (Have you noticed how wide the Stort is becoming).

Umm, that would be a minority of widebeams in my opinion ;)

My opinion is that most wide beam boat owners are not really interested in boats or boating at all

My opinion is that many narrow beam boat owners don't actually realise that the majority of leisure boats, suitable for overnight accommodation, have a beam greater than 7' and are crewed by keen boaters who don't really see ditch crawling as proper boating.

• Greenie 1

My opinion is that most wide beam boat owners are not really interested in boats or boating at all,

Is there a specific beam where this transition takes place? 7 feet, 9 foot 6, 12 feet, 14 feet?

Because on the Soar and Tent, there are some pretty serious widebeams, the owners of which seem to have a pretty good grasp of such things.

Welcome to the madhouse Sorry. :captain:

Edited by fuzzyduck

the majority of leisure boats, suitable for overnight accommodation, have a beam greater than 7' and are crewed by keen boaters who don't really see ditch crawling as proper boating.

Of which I am one. :cheers:

Edited by fuzzyduck

2,300 hrs on my engine since January 2010, I love boating in my widebeam!

Is it me but I feel that the original post is not genuine but is an :

obvious-troll.jpg

Na, she is not a troll, to be honest, I think she was genuinely shocked at the problem she has allegedly caused, a bit naive perhaps, but not a troll

You need new batteries or a bigger alternator. ;)

I don't run it to charge whilst moored, got granny Honda for that :)

Is there a specific beam where this transition takes place? 7 feet, 9 foot 6, 12 feet, 14 feet?

Because on the Soar and Tent, there are some pretty serious widebeams, the owners of which seem to have a pretty good grasp of such things.

Welcome to the madhouse Sorry. :captain:

The width is governed by lock width of course.Here on the Stort are 12'6''X80'or so long and wide-beam boats with anodes only on one side ''preferably with none'' can just about scrape their way along the full length of the river.

The Soar,Tent,Thames,Grand Onion and north east navigations ect are much wider of course so they wouldn't be much of a problem.

Edit to add. Locks are 13'or so wide,and so a 12'6''boat can just scrape through.

Edited by bizzard

Na, she is not a troll, to be honest, I think she was genuinely shocked at the problem she has allegedly caused, a bit naive perhaps, but not a troll

I don't even think its her I suspect a dual identity. No point in checking as anyone worth their salt will have used a spoofed IP address and disposable email.

I don't even think its her I suspect a dual identity. No point in checking as anyone worth their salt will have used a spoofed IP address and disposable email.

You mean we have been debating and generally sprouting crap all day on a wind up? That's terribly mean of someone