Just seen this boat on ebay

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

The description says it had two six cylinder Perkins engines, that is not a canal boat. It also mentions that the boat was built by Thorneycroft in 1940. I know Thorneycroft built MTBs, I think they built and designed landing assault boats. I wonder if that is a converted LCA? With the steering at the front of an enclosed cabin it would be "interesting" in locks. Not sure about the patio doors at the back either.

It isn't ply. It is double diagonal mahogany on oak (or elm) built to the very highest standards.

Thornycroft fast launches were superb boats and many still are.

So, there is a nice boat somewhere in this?

Richard

Assuming the hull is in as good condition as the seller suggests (and I wouldn't be assuming that if I were thinking of buying her, I'd do a thorough survey), then she might be ripe for a restoration or conversion to a pleasure cruiser. Either way that cabin has to go, and be replaced by something in proportion with the hull, and considerably less like an allotment shed. It'd be a good project, but you'd be looking at something like £50-60,000 in materials and equipment, and several thousand man hours of labour to get her up to a high standard.

So from Carl's post and TWBM's and the date of manufacture this may be an ex RN Admiralty launch that has had the misfortune to have the original cabin (apart from the first couple of feet) replaced by a garden shed and the engines removed. I agree that this should be given gratis to someone with the time, money and will to restore it.

Whoah. That is some ugly shit right there. :ninja: And I say that from the cheap seats in an old Springer, too.

(I luvs my bote, don't tell her I was talking 'bout her.)

Springers are not ugly. They have character and individuality. It's different.

They are not always well-behaved. mind you.

On a slightly off topic note, I remember reading about the Royal Navy moving the Mediterranean MTB fleet from Malta to Britain in late '39 early 1940 via the French river/canal network.I don't have access to the book at present but apparently they had trouble going slow enough on some sections and the British Government had to settle a compensation claim from French boaters on the Seine.