Break in

petro

Featured Posts

Hi Folks

Just heard that my boat has been broken into at Ventnor Farm; apparently 5 boats done yesterday evening/night.

Is the famous FINCH back then ?? anyone seen him lately ? Does anybody know what he looks like ??

Be warned if you moor in the area.

Will post more info as it becomes available

Hi Folks

Just heard that my boat has been broken into at Ventnor Farm; apparently 5 boats done yesterday evening/night.

Is the famous FINCH back then ?? anyone seen him lately ? Does anybody know what he looks like ??

Who's the famous FINCH ?

Not as famous as all that, then. He is an ex-army vagrant who roams the Midlands canals breaking into boats in search of food and drink, allegedly. He got into ours last year but did no damage; I am sorry to say that he did not take the rather unpleasant bottle of pink wine which someone had given us either.

Petro, any damage or losses? Bear up.

Known on the Oxford. Fenny Compton, for one. Looking for food and drink, possibly shelter. In and out of nick. Not heavy built. Seen his photo some years ago. White. Slim face. Possibly looking to get himself shelter in the nick, for winter.

I have no idea what he looks like. Somebody told me everything I said. Thought you meant Frenchy. Finch, Who's Finch. Probably an ok guy, somebody your grandmum would want to go out with.. :unsure:

Altered to misquote!

Very likely. A thoroughly disreputable character, in fact!

:rolleyes:

Nick

Edited by Theo

When he broke into ours he left it cleaner and tidier (that was how we knew he'd been there) and he had eaten the tinned food from the cupboard and drank a half-bottle of whisky. He had the good taste to ignore the sweet sherry that we'd been trying to give away for years.

He did minimal damage getting in (just £4.50 to repair) and I reckon did us many pouinds worth of security consultancy by showing us where we had a weak point in our defences (inadequate bolts on the lid of the side hatch)

If several boats were entered on the same night, it is extremely unlikely to have been Mr Finch, because he is always primarily seeking shelter so tends to enter one boat every few nights instead.

Hi Folks

In the marina or outside on the towpath?

Hi Folks

Which part of Ventnor do you moor?

Were the boats which were broken into all in the same part?

We have our boat there.

Thats alarming. If it was on the marina itself, were the boats all in the same part, and a part likely to be a good spot to be unobserved comparatively to other parts?

I thought the idea was you payed exorbitant mooring fees for the SECURITY of leaving your boat in a Marina...........I cant see any other benefits they offer over many linear mooring spots.

God, thats a hell of a story, thanks for posting the link.

I have met finchy over the years on the Oxford. He is a rogue for sure but there are far worse people about I can assure you. I liken him to Bonny and Clyde, it is well known that they could commit armed robberies in several different states all at the same time !!

Which part of Ventnor do you moor?

Were the boats which were broken into all in the same part?

We have our boat there.

Phase 2 again I'm told...

Steve,

I thought the idea was you payed exorbitant mooring fees for the SECURITY of leaving your boat in a Marina...........I cant see any other benefits they offer over many linear mooring spots.

More security than your average tow path linear mooring yes, but also pontoons, wardens, power, parking, service block.

Nothing's infallible of course but you make your choice & pay your money.

£500 extra for floating caravan park "luxuries" over BW's s@d all is my choice, now i'm not live aboard.

Hi Again folks

Apparently five boats broken into in phase 2 close to area by bottom lock.

Nothing nicked; but nothing of real value left on board anyway. But whoever ?? busted in by forcing the side hatch.

Fixed new bolts so all secure. Think I need to add a steel bar.

Police do not want to know and are not visiting the marina as it is not classed as a burglary becuase no one was on board the boats affected.

So it appears that it is perfectly ok to cause criminal damage. Wonderful huh

So if it was Finchy, don't do me again mate go and pick on someone else !