Moving Lucy

Terence

Featured Posts

Just got back from shunting Lucy twenty foot across the yard freeing up space so to lift out Clent and drop her into place.

The cradle will be hauled down to the Marinal and dropped into the water ready to float Clent into position and lifted out together. I think you know the rest. :construction:

Terence

Just got back from shunting Lucy twenty foot across the yard freeing up space so to lift out Clent and drop her into place.

The cradle will be hauled down to the Marinal and dropped into the water ready to float Clent into position and lifted out together. I think you know the rest. :construction:

Terence

awww Terence, no piccies????

What's the deal with this boat, this is the boat that caused all that arguing right?

What's the story behind this boat?

This is the same boat but a completely different topic. Please don't get it mixed up with the 'fireworks' thread between Carl and Evo. Try to let that one go and look at this as something entirely different :D

Terence

• Greenie 2

Well Said Terence, have a greenie!!

Following this on Twitter as well, hope its going well!

Dan

Cheers Dan! I stopped taking pictures after the third one but the boat is now sat on blocks, off the cradle frame, which is now ready to be pulled out from under the boat in a couple of days - fingers crossed.

:smiley_offtopic: Slightly off topic: Have you managed to follow my 'planter painting course' on Twitter? I'll try to finish it off this week.

All my wife's idea... she's now got me Tweeting @CanalArts.

Thanks for following me - I have the vast number of 17 followers! :lol:

Terence

This is the same boat but a completely different topic. Please don't get it mixed up with the 'fireworks' thread between Carl and Evo. Try to let that one go and look at this as something entirely different :D

Terence

Yes ofcourse, but what is the story behind this boat?

She must be something special to be trying to restore her in the condition she's in.

I'm guessing this boat has been underwater for a long time?

She was one of the last wooden boats to come out of the Nurser yard at Braunston. There are a couple of other Nurser butties surviving, Raymond, which is a rebuild of the original, and IMO the shape is totally wrong, and Hazel, which has been converted and motorised (although it has been like this for most of it's life). This means Lucy, IIRC is the last remaining original Nurser butty. The lines are so fine, and they have a fantastic underwater shape.

Preserving this is a good thing for waterways heritage i reckon.

Regards

Dan

She was one of the last wooden boats to come out of the Nurser yard at Braunston. There are a couple of other Nurser butties surviving, Raymond, which is a rebuild of the original, and IMO the shape is totally wrong, and Hazel, which has been converted and motorised (although it has been like this for most of it's life). This means Lucy, IIRC is the last remaining original Nurser butty. The lines are so fine, and they have a fantastic underwater shape.

Preserving this is a good thing for waterways heritage i reckon.

Regards

Dan

Ahh right, she's going to take some work but definitely worth it if she is like you say the last original of her kind.

Yes ofcourse, but what is the story behind this boat?

She must be something special to be trying to restore her in the condition she's in.

I'm guessing this boat has been underwater for a long time?

There is more infomation about Lucy here:- http://home.freeuk.com/braunston/Lucy/

There is more infomation about Lucy here:- http://home.freeuk.com/braunston/Lucy/

David,

That is actually the same link as Ditchcrawler has given in the post above yours.

There is however further and more current information on Pete Boyce's restoration pages here.

Carl will be able to tell us more exactly, but my understanding is that the intention is to use Lucy as she now is to provide all the accurate dimensions required to effectively build a new boat around the ironwork salvaged from the old. I don't think large amounts of wood from the old boat are likely to end up in the new, or at least not in the hull itself.

Happy to be corrected if that isn't strictly correct.

Broadly this is how Raymond was claimed to be reconstructed, although the end result certainly indicates that insufficient effort was put into measuring up the old Raymond, unfortunately.

Let's hope Lucy fares better, and they actually end up with something with the lines of a Nurner boat.

I stopped by to see Lucy a couple of months back when I was in Braunston with Joe, and had the most wonderful couple of hours with Pete. I have never met a more passionate man in my life, it was brilliant to see. I really do hope things go well with her, she is stunning.

David,

That is actually the same link as Ditchcrawler has given in the post above yours.

There is however further and more current information on Pete Boyce's restoration pages here.

Carl will be able to tell us more exactly, but my understanding is that the intention is to use Lucy as she now is to provide all the accurate dimensions required to effectively build a new boat around the ironwork salvaged from the old. I don't think large amounts of wood from the old boat are likely to end up in the new, or at least not in the hull itself.

Happy to be corrected if that isn't strictly correct.

Broadly this is how Raymond was claimed to be reconstructed, although the end result certainly indicates that insufficient effort was put into measuring up the old Raymond, unfortunately.

Let's hope Lucy fares better, and they actually end up with something with the lines of a Nurner boat.

According to the 6th newsletter on the Lucy project website...

In June, a ‘new’ companion arrived for LUCY. Martin Wood has installed his wooden icebreaker project in the yard. It is purported to be a Trent & Mersey boat, at least 100 years old, and has been rescued from among the brambles in a market garden. Discussions with him and others have changed my mind about LUCY’s rebuild. She will be rebuilt where she sits, frame by frame and plank by plank. She will remain LUCY and will not be replaced with a replica

She will be rebuilt where she sits, frame by frame and plank by plank. She will remain LUCY and will not be replaced with a replica.

Fair enough.

If every frame and plank is replaced ultimately, I guess to Joe Public the actual end result isn't that necessarily different to the other approach.

However, even with no expertise on the matter, I can see that such an approach must drastically increase the chances that you don't end up with a boat that no longer looks like what it started out as.

I'm sure we all wish Pete every success with this massive project.

I believe Peters proposals for Lucy are on a different level to those used to construct the current Raymond. Even if every piece of timber is in fact replaced Peters attention to detail in replicating what was originally there is unbelievable. I strongly believe that on completion Lucy will be more than capable of carrying a load similar to that it would carry in its working days. I am fairly sure that no such load has ever been put on Raymond nor ever will be.

According to the 6th newsletter on the Lucy project website...

Discussions with him and others have changed my mind about LUCY’s rebuild. She will be rebuilt where she sits, frame by frame and plank by plank. She will remain LUCY and will not be replaced with a replica

That is indeed good news. :cheers:

'Roger' 'Ivy' (and others) have been completely rebuilt one plank at a time, with all new wood. To my mind this is the only way to retain the original boat.

Boats rebuilt like 'Severn', 'Saturn' and others before, along side the derelict original, will at best be a replica.

Raymond's another story. It was cut up at the Black Country Museum and only the ironwork salvaged. Later, the current Raymond was built at Tardebigge with little regard for accuracy. To me this makes it a new build with a reclaimed element.

Unlike Raymond, where they destroyed the old boat, before building another, Lucy will be a plank by plank rebuild.

Pete's original intention was to do a side by side replication, like Severn, laying new bottoms and moving the ironwork over but, happily, changed his mind and chose the rebuild route.

Edited to add: Wot they said ^^^

Edited by carlt

So how does one ensure that the resulting boat isn't a bit bent? Do you build a framework to hold everything in the correct position before you start replacing bits? Or is the basic structure of the boat still sturdy enough to keep its shape during the rebuild?