What's the most useful thing on your narrowboat?

Guest Quo Vadis

Featured Posts

Guest Quo Vadis

So far, the most useful thing on my boat has been a spare water pump.

It has got water out of all sorts of places it shouldn't have been, and I've just used it, by coupling it's inlet to the boat pump's outlet pipe, to suck all the water out of my calorifier, and to drain every last drop from the water tank.

Bottle opener :lol:

On a serious note, my ropes, engine and TV, without them I wouldnt be able to moor up safely, have no electric or hot water be able to cruise anywhere and I would be bored stiff...

Guest Quo Vadis

Now Then ... Now Then ... some of you are being very silly :)

OK I'll rephrase the question ....

Apart from

The Spouse (optional)

The Hull

The Engine

The Prop

The Roof

The Windows

The Rudder

The Loo (any kind)

The Bed

The Telly

The Radio

The Shower

The Heating

.... phew ... deep breath!

What's the most useful thing on your boat?

Now Then ... Now Then ... some of you are being very silly :)

OK I'll rephrase the question ....

Apart from

The Spouse (optional)

The Hull

The Engine

The Prop

The Roof

The Windows

The Rudder

The Loo (any kind)

The Bed

The Telly

The Radio

The Shower

The Heating

.... phew ... deep breath!

What's the most useful thing on your boat?

My Leatherman knife thingy,head torch a close second.

Edited by Guest

Guest Quo Vadis

My Leatherman knife thingy, head torch a close second.

That's the idea CW ... what I'm really after is a Christmas List for canalboaters ;) .

Got the head torch .... but the Leatherman ..... mmmmmmmm.

In no particular order...but have made our boating life SO much easier/pleasant

Wet/Dry vax....has come into its own on many occasions

Two way radio....for actual normal volume conversations when OH is up front and I'm steering (or vice versa) and especially useful at locks.

Bellows (obvious use)

LED torches (head ones and magnetic ones)

King size mattress topper (what a difference!)

Decent set of tools in a single case.

Wifi

MP3 player/ipod with decent music and a decent sound system to play it through.

Daylight craft light

Edited by Québec

On my xmas wishlist:

A pair of smallish binoculars, waterproof and knockproof, for looking at the next lock. Preferably ones that can see around corners,

An extra Tilley hat. A boating essential.

A simple BBQ stand that folds completely flat for use with disposable BBQ thingies.

A spanner for my diesel tank cap, 2.25" between the jaws.

A clock, but one that is both visible in the dark, silent (no ticking), and battery operated. OK 3 things...

A small flat clock that I can stick on my control panel so that I can manage the maximum 20mins waiting mooring spots.

A not-yet-invented gadget that stops me knocking paint off my bow.

A replacement set of fire irons that don't come unscrewed when I try to use them. The MC guy warned me they were carp when I bought them and he was so right.

A pair of insulated arms-length nitrile gloves for when I need to play weed-hatch games in Winter.

Another Harris sash & window paint pad for painting under the rails. They work very well and are very hard to find.

A Fein Multimaster (spelling unknown) toolset for doing absolutely everything.

And something that will make my (unfinished) boat infinitely attractive to women.

And the list is not yet closed.

.......A replacement set of fire irons that don't come unscrewed when I try to use them. The MC guy warned me they were carp when I bought them and he was so right.

Always listen to a salesman - they (usually - sometimes) know what they are talking about.

I would have thought the difference between a carp and a set of fire irons would have been fairly obvious - but - if its any help I could 'post a picture' of each to save you any embarrassment in the future.

Fish do have their place on / in the canals but I would have thought them to be fairly reluctant when you try to 'poke' the fire or use them to remove the ashes (even when said ashes are cold)

Anyway - to add to the original question - "A boaty-multi-tool" a flat piece of steel with various holes, lugs and flanges that can open diesel filler caps, water filler caps, is several sizes of screwdriver and has several octaganol holes that act as spanners

Similar in principle to this one - but bigger and with more 'holes and prongs' on it.

Multitool.jpg