can it be done?

peter nelson

Featured Posts

ok first off i have no intention of ever doing this as even thinking about it scares the hell out of me, but.

when i told a good friend i am saving to buy a boat (early days just £1100 saved) as he knows my mum lives in spain he automaticaly thought it was so i could sale over and visit her.

at first i just cracked up laghing, but then i thought is it posable to get a boat that will tour the inland waterways sleap 4 ppl and still set out to sea and get to spain and back?

as i put before even if i had the ideal boat i am far to chicken to do it, plus i dont realy like my mum enough to go all that way just to see her.

pete

In a word NO!

It may be physically possible to build a boat if you have access to enough money, but the differences between a good canal boat and a good sea boat make it a really pointless excercise in my opinion. It would be far cheaper to buy a narrowboat for inland waterways use and a seagoing vessel to get to Spain.

Sailing on the canals is also not really workable, as there is no room to tack the boat and you would need a keel too deep for many canals if you were expecting a reasonable sailing performance at sea. Narrowboats have been taken cross channel in very benign conditions, but several days at sea across the Bay of Biscay and down the Portuguese coast would almost certainly be fatal.

It is also one thing to point a boat down a canal to navigate, but handling a vessel at sea and having the skills neccessary for ocean cruising, navigation and safety is another matter entirely.

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

Yes there is, its the Wayfairer (or simler spelling) its a dingie, about 15ft and has been sailed across the north sea. If you stick to near the coast it will get you there. It can also be fitted with a tent like thing, that goes over the boom,so you can camp in it. Fitted with a small outboard it will quite happly do the canals.

Yes there is, its the Wayfairer (or simler spelling) its a dingie, about 15ft and has been sailed across the north sea. If you stick to near the coast it will get you there. It can also be fitted with a tent like thing, that goes over the boom,so you can camp in it. Fitted with a small outboard it will quite happly do the canals.

Yes its a Wayfarer - 16ft and a very stable dinghy, nice to sail

If you google 'dinghy cruising association' there are many tales of adventure from that group of people

Remembering you can get to Spain along the canals, lots of folks do it

They spend a fantastic time on board, going through France. Fantastic views, manned locks.

The only stretch of sea you have to tackle, is the Engish Chanel to get over to France.

My mt8 and his family done it this year left from Penton hook on the thames, to Spain taking his boat to it's new home.

Col

as i put before even if i had the ideal boat i am far to chicken to do it, plus i dont realy like my mum enough to go all that way just to see her.

pete

Peter, that is an hilarious punch line and it had me in tears of laughter when I read it this morning, best start to the day possible!

As to boats, I doubt there is a boat that will do both jobs sensibly so on the ridiculous front, my choice would be the GP14 rather than Wayfarer, about as heavy as a barge so better for jostling for position on the canals and sailed properly very capable at sea.

I won many sailing races in open class events in GP14’s in the early 70’s, and on a school trip to the Norfolk broads we took our old wooden GP14 along as a sort of tender, I forget the make of the big old yachts we hired but the GP14 was much more fun, I remember deliberately capsizing her to pass under bridges without having to de-mast her.

Having said that, we did witness another similar dingy being completely destroyed as it was crushed between a quay wall and a typically out of control motor hire boat, I can still hear the crack of splitting timbers as we stood and cheered and offered contrary advice to the hapless ‘captain’!

Joshua

some of the responses seem to be blinkered, like canals = narrowboat.

there are plenty of boats that could cruise the canals (especially the wide canals) and are fit to sail by sea to Spain. A new boat designed for that purpose should be RCD Category B or better.

I would suggest that Phyllis is quite capable of getting to Spain

NC could in theory make it to Spain and she is quite capable of travelling the broader UK inland waterways. Given the time (and fuel money) it would make a great trip :cheers:

ETA: It would be a bit of a squeeze with four aboard though. We have had a week away with three people on board and it was a nightmare. Under each others feet the whole time :(

Edited by Phylis

These discussions always seem to revolve around the type of boat.

Sure, your average narrowboat just isn't safe (without some modifiacations) for taking to sea, but of course it is possible to find a boat that could negotiate our narrow canals and cross the channel. It just needs to be under 6' 10" beam and draw less than three feet.

The question is are you up to it?

I remember a few years back two guys adapted a rowing boat used on Windermere and set off for Eastern Europe via the English canals and the North Sea. But they were, if memory serves, experienced seamen and knew what they were in for and how to deal with it.

To me, it's like saying I like a walk in the country, if I get some climbing equipment can I have a crack at the Matterhorn?

ok first off i have no intention of ever doing this as even thinking about it scares the hell out of me, but.

when i told a good friend i am saving to buy a boat (early days just £1100 saved) as he knows my mum lives in spain he automaticaly thought it was so i could sale over and visit her.

at first i just cracked up laghing, but then i thought is it posable to get a boat that will tour the inland waterways sleap 4 ppl and still set out to sea and get to spain and back?

pete

Jonathan Raban : Cruising

I sailed Wayfarers for quite a few years and they are solid, robust and fast sailers. I did a lot of estuary and island hopping in mine and would be very confident of their abilities up to a force seven, but beyond that and in open sea I would not fancy my chances at all. If you wanted something more sea-like then have a look at a West Wight Potter or a Plymouth Pilot or even break out the savings and go for a Westerly.

On the other hand, buy a cheap cruiser with a trailer and go to France and motor on down from there.

osnip>

<snip>

pete

No not Llangollen, but the whole of the UK broadbeam waterway system and the UK and European coastline. Far more navigable water than your average narrowboat has access too :cheers:

Maybe. I guess that my definition of touring the inland waterways is different to yours. For me the BCN, Shropshire Union, Worcester and Birmingham are the very heart of the inland waterways and I can't imagine a proper tour that leaves them out

Richard

Maybe. I guess that my definition of touring the inland waterways is different to yours. For me the BCN, Shropshire Union, Worcester and Birmingham are the very heart of the inland waterways and I can't imagine a proper tour that leaves them out

Richard

For us a tour of the UK inland waterways would take in the Caledonian Canal, the Crinian Canal, The Tyne, the Humber, The Deben, The Thames, The Mersey, The severn etc. each to their own. A muddy narrow ditch in the centre of Brummie just doesnt cut it for everyone and neither does a narrow tube of steel :P

Wayfarer centreboard sailing dinghies are excellent sea boats. loa 15'10''plus rudder, double chine hull built by Westerley's.early ones marine ply later ones GRP.

I used to teach sailing in them. I've also sailed one Dover to Calais,and raced them in the Solent during Cowes week for national Round Table,sponsored for charity.

Indeed way back in the early 1970's a Mr & mrs Dyer sailed a wooden one across to Norway and explored the Fiords.

They also race well,as full gear,Genoa, Centre main sheet horse and spinnaker allowed. Bizzard.