Mooring outside a Pub

steelaway

Featured Posts

Hi All

We have being trying to get winter mooring for a month now, in this area they are few and far between.

We had a lunch at a pub today and questioned the landlord. He had no idea of the rules but was quite happy far us to moor there for the winter.

What are the rules?

Does it become end of garden moorings if the landlord agrees to this? Or is it his prerogative to allow mooring for months as long as you are using his pub?

Alex

Hi All

We have being trying to get winter mooring for a month now, in this area they are few and far between.

We had a lunch at a pub today and questioned the landlord. He had no idea of the rules but was quite happy far us to moor there for the winter.

What are the rules?

Does it become end of garden moorings if the landlord agrees to this? Or is it his prerogative to allow mooring for months as long as you are using his pub?

Alex

I reckon the official answer will be..

An end of garden mooring requires BW's OK - so that will depend on how quickly they can approve one...

and no he can't just approve a mooring if you are using his pub as you will not be making 'a progressive journey around the system'

the unofficial answer however... ;)

Fair play to you!! :cheers:

is it offside or towpath, and are BW offering moorings in the vicinity, if offside, ask the mods to remove this topic quickly ;)

Normally the rules for pubs are

moor, have a beer and move on

moor,have a beer or two,possibly get shafted, stay the night but move on next day.

moor, have a banter,find your boat during the night, and maybe stay several days as banter carries on.

moor,(in winter) meet a landlord who thinks, good customer... stay. :cheers:

Fair play to you!! :cheers:

is it offside or towpath, and are BW offering moorings in the vicinity, if offside, ask the mods to remove this topic quickly ;)

Normally the rules for pubs are

moor, have a beer and move on

moor,have a beer or two,possibly get shafted, stay the night but move on next day.

moor, have a banter,find your boat during the night, and maybe stay several days as banter carries on.

moor,(in winter) meet a landlord who thinks, good customer... stay. :cheers:

Hope that you do get permission to stay ouside the pub.

but,please ,dont wring your liver out in the canal,think of the fishes!

Hi All

What are the rules?

Alex

Technically he needs BW approval AND it becomes an end of garden mooring if they grant it.

However, you are mooring for the winter. BW will be in a fix...

If they don't approve it they haven't a snowball in hell's chance of successfully enforcing any infringement before you leave in the spring, and they forego any revenue. The landlord might work this out and let the mooring every winter knowing full well that his tenant will be long gone before BW act

If they do approve it the pub landlord is free to let it out again next winter...

They can only prosecute the moorer, not the landowner. Heads he wins, tails BW lose

If they don't approve it they haven't a snowball in hell's chance of successfully enforcing any infringement before you leave in the spring,

Except that one form of enforcement is "You didn't satisfy our requirements for continuous cruising therefore we won't be renewing your licence."

Are you allowed to progress backwards and forwards near the pub?

ah a new way of avoiding the rules

pub hopping rather than bridge hopping....

no BTW

Why can't folk just stick to the bleedin' rules?

£

Casp'

Possibly for some, not convinced for all that extract the Michael...

Meow Meow

14skipper

another monumentality mamouth contribution to CWDF from 43plonker..

Edited by MJG

Alex, go for it...a mooring outside a pub for the whole winter? Bliss! Only move if BW move you on, its winter for heavens sake, simples.

14S, dont rise to it. He cant even spell mammoth. Mamouth is so old school.

Gufaw gufaw...

Ah whats the matter "Dogs Breath" Has GD left the forum and no else left to pick on ?

At least try and be original in trying to be sarcastic and not copy other postings.

14Skipper

Funny though wasn't it -

Thought you'd adopted your polite mode so what's the 'dog breath' reference...oh I get it I have a dog in my avatar...brilliantly original apart from the fact insults based on my avatar have been done before...

Except that one form of enforcement is "You didn't satisfy our requirements for continuous cruising therefore we won't be renewing your licence."

I am between a rock and hard place at the moment.

I applied for winter mooring but the only place on the whole of this backwater canal is in a deep and remote ravine and not at all safe,

Not even passing traffic, as very few boats ever go up to this very end. There are no services or amenities within 10 lock miles

I applied for end of garden moorings at a Sports club that have 3 boats moored, although there is probably room for 5/6 boats and the club would be very happy for the income.

BW said only 3 are allowed.

I found another perfect place that would also be no harm to any one and suggested this could be a winter mooring, but again they said it is not a designated winter mooring.

I am not trying to avoid paying for winter moorings

Alex

Sorry Alex I wasn't being judgemental.

Personally I think the whole concept of preventing CCers from CCing and then charging them for the inconvenience is wrong.

I used to roll up to a stoppage and ask to be allowed through, daily, until the stoppage was lifted.

• Greenie 1

Sorry Alex I wasn't being judgemental.

Personally I think the whole concept of preventing CCers from CCing and then charging them for the inconvenience is wrong.

I used to roll up to a stoppage and ask to be allowed through, daily, until the stoppage was lifted.

What chance there being a stoppage at the pub near where Alex wants to stop at or near though???

Hi All

What are the rules?

Alex

Be careful!!

A few years ago one of the regulars on another canal list upset the landlord of the Three Horsehoes at Winkwell by having the temerity to tie his boat up to the mooring rings outside the pub, for the purpose of having a couple of pints one evening. The resulting disgreement escalated to the point where he was banned from every pub operated by the pubco (Punch Taverns I think). I seem to recall that the letter banning him is now framed and hangs on the wall over his mantelpiece!

David