Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sam

Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Featured Posts

On 02/08/2018 at 18:34, steve joyce said:

Hi all,

We are Steve and Sandra, living in North Wales. Hired in the past, but as we approach early retirement looking to take on a boat full time, so many questions, just starting to go through the 87 pages on this topic! Occasional personal use/hiring out, looking for advice and pitfalls.

Looking at buying next year and see how we go from there. Loads more questions to come.

Thanks

Well we have just done it we are now liveaboards on our 60ft semi-trad.

All going well, 

My tips.

1.Get used to spiders

2.Learn to duck your head when entering and leaving the boat.

3. Do the RYA IWHC boat handling course.

4. Make sure you have a spare cylinder of gas.

5. Get your engine and Heater serviced in the summer ready for winter.

6. Get a survey done and if you can get it blacked and all other out of water jobs done at the same time ( new anodes, top/bottom tiller bearing replaced and prop shaft replaced if required as its expensive to pull a boat out for such repairs)

6. Get safety critical things checked smoke alarms, extinguisher, gas equipment etc.. anything that if not working could kill.

Regards Matt 

21 hours ago, Matthew77 said:

Well we have just done it we are now liveaboards on our 60ft semi-trad.

All going well, 

My tips.

1.Get used to spiders

2.Learn to duck your head when entering and leaving the boat.

3. Do the RYA IWHC boat handling course.

4. Make sure you have a spare cylinder of gas.

5. Get your engine and Heater serviced in the summer ready for winter.

6. Get a survey done and if you can get it blacked and all other out of water jobs done at the same time ( new anodes, top/bottom tiller bearing replaced and prop shaft replaced if required as its expensive to pull a boat out for such repairs)

6. Get safety critical things checked smoke alarms, extinguisher, gas equipment etc.. anything that if not working could kill.

Regards Matt 

Matt thanks for the reply, especially about spiders!!

We spent a day around local boatyards and marinas, with the intention of buying a boat to rent out and use ourselves, but the costs of the extras for renting out are huge, so any future plans will be for our use only, it would be a lot cheaper. So for now we are going to dip out and revisit the purchase of a boat in a couple of years, thanks again for the advice and have a great time.

Steve

Hello everyone! We have hired in the past and would like to find a good second hand boat to buy to cruise the Lancaster (and beyond in a couple of years). Have found lots of interesting info here so have taken the plunge and joined you! Look forward to reading lots more stuff (and asking lots of questions in the future!)

Hi there

Sean here. Not yet boating but intend to be very soon hopefully. Based in the midlands and on the lookout as we speak for a GRP cruiser for our first boat.

Very informative site this!

On 04/09/2018 at 10:42, juragirl said:

Hello everyone! We have hired in the past and would like to find a good second hand boat to buy to cruise the Lancaster (and beyond in a couple of years). Have found lots of interesting info here so have taken the plunge and joined you! Look forward to reading lots more stuff (and asking lots of questions in the future!)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your boat hunting ⛴

6 hours ago, Mister P said:

Hi there

Sean here. Not yet boating but intend to be very soon hopefully. Based in the midlands and on the lookout as we speak for a GRP cruiser for our first boat.

Very informative site this!

Welcome aboard, hope all goes well 😊

Morning

I'm Anna-Claire and i recently got my boat, she's a 43 foot dutch barge project boat.

I'm looking for someone who can help me move it asap she's currently at hampton court palace, I need to get her onto the grand union canal to uxbridge.

If anyone know of any experianced boaters who may be able to help I'd be very greatful.

(please note I am also willing to pay for thier time)

Anna-Claire,

I think the person for the job would be Ian, whose user name is "The Boater". Your boat move is practically on his doorstep, he's helped out other people on the forum with this sort of thing, and I'm sure he knows his stuff including doing the tidal stretch between Teddington and Brentford.

I'm going that way myself later this week with the Narrow Boat Trust on their pair of coal boats, so not able to help you out at present. But if needed, I can probably turn up for a day or two some time during 20-25 October.

Thanks so much 

I shall try and contact Ian and see if he is able to help.

Good luck on your journy.

Hi all, I'm Andy a total novice here who has just taken the plunge and bought a 20' Norman Cruiser, I'm finding lots of useful information here and looking forward to my first baby steps on the waterways I will be starting off on the Avon at Evesham as I'm currently based there. I will be predominantly be boating alone so won't be rushing into any great adventured for a while! 

IMG_20181005_223804.jpg

Edited by Wolvesinwales
Added a bit