Foreign built narrowboats reliability, durability, Resale

DandV

Featured Posts

East West are made in China and the other three, Poland. Are there others?

Some of these vessels will have now been in service long enough to obtain general experiences.

Excluding any, and the very natural feeling of betrayal to British industry and its workers, are the boats generally good, bad or indifferent?

My understanding is the fit outs are generally "in factory" so my feeling is there would be less quality variability then UK boats fitted out by a large variety of owners, and boat fitters with differing skills and budgets.

What is the quality and workmanship of the electrics, plumbing, appliances. Ease of servicing access etc.

What is the workmanship, durability of the hull and hull fittings, window/door openings and hardware.

Any specfic weakness,s and good points.

As owners or those that know owners are they pleased with them?

Any problems or advantages at resale?

Cheers Don

I believe that East West are no longer made and that Aqualine boats are now made in England. We had a look round an East West boat a couple of years ago and it was neatly fitted without being exciting. I think that bamboo wood was used.

A pal of mine bought a brand new East West boat which he had delivered onto the Middle Levels about 4 years ago. All was fine until he came out of Salters Lode into the 90 degree turn up to Denver, at which point the boat heeled over at an alarming angle almost capsizing. The reason - no ballast!! Obviously, the floor had to come out which revealed a whole multitude of sins leading to the lining having to come out uncovering wiring which would never have passed inspection. Eventually, after two years of argument and to-ing and fro-ing of various E/W "technicians", E/W agreed to buy the boat back from him but he lost a substantial amount of money on it.

I've looked over several Aqualine boats and visited their Polish factory in Gdansk. I was pretty impressed by the general quality which achieved high and consistent standards. In my personal opinion they're a class above the others mentioned here and certainly a match - if not more than a match - for most at the price. They do tend to come with an attractive price that might mount if you add desirable extras which is something to watch for.

They have very recently transferred production to the UK (Stenson I believe are building them)but virtually all those on the used market will be Polish made.

Aqualines are generally considered to be good quality boats and personally I'd rate Amber just as highly. I'm not sure if Amber are still in business?

I've seen some reasonable Vikings, but also some examples of poor build quality - one with rippled cabin sides that they decided to put on display at Crick! (At least they were being honest I suppose!)

As for East West, I don't like them at all.

I've got an East West boat, 44ft cruiser stern. Just passed it's first BSS with no problems and some favourable comments from the examiner on the quality of the fit-out and the standard and level of equipment.

Had its just over a year and it's hardly missed a beat.

I accept that looks wise they are not everyone's cup of tea, but at the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice.

I believe that East West are no longer made and that Aqualine boats are now made in England. We had a look round an East West boat a couple of years ago and it was neatly fitted without being exciting. I think that bamboo wood was used.

You are correct that the boats are no longer made and sold as East West, now they are built and sold by Whilton - the Ruby range (39 and 44ft).

I've got an East West boat, 44ft cruiser stern. Just passed it's first BSS with no problems and some favourable comments from the examiner on the quality of the fit-out and the standard and level of equipment.

Had its just over a year and it's hardly missed a beat.

I accept that looks wise they are not everyone's cup of tea, but at the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice.

I personally don't have a problem with how they look, after all aesthetics are purely a subjective personal thing

We looked at East West boats when we were buying and after making enquiries similar to the OP were put off by it being pointed out that they do have a very 'square' less sloping cabin profile than other makes.

OK it may make for a little more space inside but it could be a problem in some tunnels for example. Of course only a problem in certain cruising areas.

I've lived aboard an Aqualine Manhatton for nearly 2 years now. It's just over 3 years old. It had done less than 50 hours when we bought it 2 winters ago. I've made a few changes to make it easier to live on, back boiler in the squirrel connected to the existing heating system in tandem with the webasto running a seperate pump. Morco hot water heater (wouldn't be without instant hot water ever again) switchable between the calorifier. 12v fridge/freezer. Extended the existing bed to 4'6" cos the missus kept falling out :rolleyes: Extra ballast in the bow as they tend to be a bit light in the front (they make them that way so they are easier to steer for newbies). Fitted a little Zanussi washing machine in the hole that Aqualine put there.

To sum up, build quality excellent, electrical cupboard completely OTT. Once you work out how they're put together, they are simple to dissassemble for access/upgrades. No immersion provision in the calorifier so you have to run the engine or Webasto for hot water (or change the calorifier or do what I did and fit an instant hot water heater). Only real negative is the paint is a bit thin. Have heard some say they are a bit 230v hungry but feel that is unfounded. Only 230v we got is the TV. As to resale prices/value, one well known broker I know said there could almost be a Glasses guide for them! Definitely a boat that appeals to first time buyers and would definitely reccommend.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.

Tim

Certainly that used to be so, Mr. T (old jokes like "We were so poor that me brother was made in 'ong Kong" from Northern comedians) but is it still?

SoJo, where are Narrowcraft's craft built? I know they are based at Alvecote but I don't think that they build or fit out there.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare Polish built boats with Chinese.

The Polish have a formidable shipbuilding reputation and the Chinese are famous for making poor quality tat and selling it cheap.

Actually given a lot of Apple's products are now made there as is some Nikon stuff - some might say there are famous for making poor quality tat and selling it expensive.... ;)

tat not chat you fool - edit

Edited by MJG

The Polish have a formidable shipbuilding reputation and the Chinese are famous for making poor quality tat and selling it cheap.

dont beat about the bush,carl,say what you really think of the chinese product!

most of their engineering is dreadful and offensive to an engineers eye.(and ear).

The EMMA MAERSK cargo vessel brings thousands of tons of "landfill"quality product to the UK on an all too regular basis.

it should have a special harbour dug out for it,then it could be scuttled in shallow water.

At least then we would have somewhere PC to dump the ash from our stoves?

I personally don't have a problem with how they look, after all aesthetics are purely a subjective personal thing

We looked at East West boats when we were buying and after making enquiries similar to the OP were put off by it being pointed out that they do have a very 'square' less sloping cabin profile than other makes.

OK it may make for a little more space inside but it could be a problem in some tunnels for example. Of course only a problem in certain cruising areas.

Ours has been through the Standedge tunnel OK, if it can do that one I'm pretty sure it could manage in most others.

Wondered who would be the first to come up with this ?

The Aqualines I've brokered as second hand craft have been very well put together. The electrics are a work of art and immaculately installed. The steelwork is good, and they use a lot of solid wood in the fit out. However, Polish production has ceased and the new ones are being assembled by Midland Canal Centre, who themselves have produced good solid narrow boats for around 30 years.

Narrowcraft are also well built and attractively finished. I don't know if they are still being built in Poland, but bargeeboy, who posts on this forum sometimes, will know for certain.

Some of the Elton Moss boats came from the Czech Republic.

Amber went kaput some months ago, but Heritage are still at Evesham (where Amber were based) and maybe their boats are sourced overseas. I don't know.

Amber went kaput some months ago, but Heritage are still at Evesham (where Amber were based) and maybe their boats are sourced overseas. I don't know.

Interesting - the day before we came to see the the Dog House and followed it up with an offer with your good self we'd also asked for a quote from Amber at Crick for a new build, it took many weeks to come through and by then we were well down the road of buying our current boat through you.

I wonder if they were equally lax with other customers and I also wonder if we had gone with them how much money we would have lost???

Interesting - the day before we came to see the the Dog House and followed it up with an offer with your good self we'd also asked for a quote from Amber at Crick for a new build, it took many weeks to come through and by then we were well down the road of buying our current boat through you.

I wonder if they were equally lax with other customers and I also wonder if we had gone with them how much money we would have lost???

I'm not aware of any customers losing money (or boats), although I believe the owners of the company lost quite a bit due to some shenanegans at the Polish end of the operation. As I understand it, they set up the new company with greater control over the Polish side of things.

The sellers of Chinese made boats somehow forgot to tell their customers that some Chinese steel quality is internationally rated as quote " abysmal" And Polish ship building product has had a 50 % service life compared to European steel. It will be interesting to see what happens to these Chinese boats in the long term as far as corrosion goes. Would i invest all that dough in one ? no thanks

The sellers of Chinese made boats somehow forgot to tell their customers that some Chinese steel quality is internationally rated as quote " abysmal" And Polish ship building product has had a 50 % service life compared to European steel. It will be interesting to see what happens to these Chinese boats in the long term as far as corrosion goes. Would i invest all that dough in one ? no thanks

I think the problem is some people seem to think they have to buy new for whatever reason. I am of the school that older quality is vastly superior to new of dubious build. My last boat was a Hudson at 4 years of age when I bought it in immaculate condition I paid about the same as a new Aquachink new would have been or whatever. I put it up for sale earlier this year still in good nick at 9 years old and sold it very very quickly, would I have sold the Aquachink as easily ? I would rather drive a five year old quality car than a new Focus, same thing realy...........

Edited by mrsmelly

I am sure the 12mm bottom of my East West will out live me. How does anyone know where the steel was produced for their narrow boat ? Does the steel that is used for narrow boats that are constructed in the UK have a 'made in england' sticker on it ? do the boat builders actually know/state where the steel came from ? I doubt it.