mayallid's dragon

cereal tiller

Featured Posts

Now I'm pretty sure that's not Latin...

In the 80s I used to stop at a pub, called "The Ship Aground" in Talsarnau, when on Drinking/Eating?Walking weekends.

When we returned to the pub, after a day's walking, to start the drinking/eating bit, we used to stand outside the door quietly, listening to all the locals rabbiting away, in English.

Then we'd swing the door open and the chatter would switch seamlessly to Welsh, leading me to believe that Welsh, as a language, would be as dead as Latin, if it weren't for English tourists...

Edited by carlt

In the 80s I used to stop at a pub, called "The Ship Aground" in Talsarnau, when on Drinking/Eating?Walking weekends.

When we returned to the pub, after a day's walking, to start the drinking/eating bit, we used to stand outside the door quietly, listening to all the locals rabbiting away, in English.

Then we'd swing the door open and the chatter would switch seamlessly to Welsh, leading me to believe that Welsh, as a language, would be as dead as Latin, if it weren't for English tourists...

Do you remember the catch-phrase in the late 70's? "Come home to a roaring fire... buy a cottage in North Wales" ;)

When we visited our relations in Canarvon the children that had not gone yet to secondary school could only speak welsh.i do remember. My grandad looking askance at a group of teenager talking to each other in an incomprehensible language [ To us ]is that welsh i asked. No it's pigeon welsh not worth speaking.

Being born in Hong Kong i favor the chines Dog faced Dragon which is the symbol of of my birth year. :rolleyes:

We had this a few times in North Wales.

We once hired a cottage attached to the owners farm house. When we were in we could hear them talking in Welsh. When part of the party went out in the car, as long as the remainder kept quiet, the owners then reverted to speaking English.

I can't say a similar thing happens in Ireland, well certainly not Ballinamore, Co Leitrim...in fact in Smyths, our local, a good proportion of the locals are West Brits! :P

Do you remember the catch-phrase in the late 70's? "Come home to a roaring fire... buy a cottage in North Wales" ;)

It was actually "Come home to a REAL fire..." which was, of course a parody of the NCB advert.

Not the nine o'clock news.

I recall similar, and I was friends with (this is necessary to the story) a large black guy. Unbeknown to the locals he worked for Gwynedd County Council and spoke fluent Welsh, far better than mine, even though I lived in Wales for 22 years.

We'd sit, and drink, and listen, and then he'd order a drink... in Welsh.

"Could've heard a pin drop" didn't do it justice, unfortunately I couldn't keep a straight face either

I still regard myself as part Welsh though, and revel in any success on the Rugby field

Martin, you are changing avatars like wot some folks change their socks. Settle, lad.

What I can't work out, though, is how you know that, and I don't.

In my case, with Firefox on Vista, unless I keep refreshing the cache with <CTRL>+<F5> then I regularly don't see recent changes reflected, and still see old Avatars.

Particularly true of my own - I can change it on the relevant screen, see it change, but then when I display my posts in threads, or make a new post, the old one continues to appear unless I do that magic <CTRL>+<F5>.

Sadly this probably means that where a new post relating to a new avatar actually still displays the old one, the joke is somewhat lost.

I've given up trying to be clever with Avatars, because I'm never confident which of mine you are seeing.

I do think Martin's latest nude is particularly tasteful, though! :rolleyes:

What I can't work out, though, is how you know that, and I don't.

In my case, with Firefox on Vista, unless I keep refreshing the cache with <CTRL>+<F5> then I regularly don't see recent changes reflected, and still see old Avatars.

Particularly true of my own - I can change it on the relevant screen, see it change, but then when I display my posts in threads, or make a new post, the old one continues to appear unless I do that magic <CTRL>+<F5>.

Sadly this probably means that where a new post relating to a new avatar actually still displays the old one, the joke is somewhat lost.

I've given up trying to be clever with Avatars, because I'm never confident which of mine you are seeing.

I do think Martin's latest nude is particularly tasteful, though! :rolleyes:

Three different Avatars in a week? or am I seeing something?

Edited by David Schweizer

Three different Avatars in a week? or am I seeing something?

Perhaps it's only me who can't see what my latest one is in posts, then ?

No, pretty certain Cath told me, using a different computer), that she wasn't seeing my changes.

No, pretty certain Cath told me, using a different computer), that she wasn't seeing my changes.

is it Dave's Dragon reading the latest legislation on breathing fire in a public place?

is it Dave's Dragon reading the latest legislation on breathing fire in a public place?

Given how frantically the pages are being thumbed in that publication, I think he may be losing hope of finding any lime green boat rules.

Here it is just to remind you:-

av-518.gifav-518.gifav-518.gifav-518.gifav-518.gifav-518.gif

Edited by David Schweizer

Martin, you are changing avatars like wot some folks change their socks. Settle, lad.

Trying to keep up Mr. Fincher...and Mr T

Click refresh on the address bar

Edited by MJG