• a brilliant new logo
    • what Robin Evans saw in the tealeaves
    • The Canal & River trust
    • A swan in front of a hill
    • a canal bridge with A blooming great swan-neck-shaped crack in it

Featured Posts

thewhiteswan.jpg

Thats the new logo.

I have shown this to everyone who has stopped by over the last week to see what they think it represents. These are not all waterways enthusiasts and range from delivery men to a meter reader.

The overall winner from this straw poll is a pub sign" Yes the "White Swan" ! ! !

Second is a variety of swan related things like "Swan Reserve", "Swan society" etc.

Not one single person has related it to "Waterways" or "Rivers"

In my opinion a class of ten year olds capable of using photoshop could have been more inventive, the former TWT and BW logos sell themselves well but not this one.

Damn good job they got it for free, now they can pop out and pay a local artwork shop to do a better job!! Comments please.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

thewhiteswan.jpg

Thats the new logo.

I have shown this to everyone who has stopped by over the last week to see what they think it represents. These are not all waterways enthusiasts and range from delivery men to a meter reader.

The overall winner from this straw poll is a pub sign" Yes the "White Swan" ! ! !

Second is a variety of swan related things like "Swan Reserve", "Swan society" etc.

In my opinion a class of ten year olds capable of using photoshop could have been more inventive, the former TWT and BW logos sell themselves well but not this one.

Damn good job they got it for free, now they can pop out and pay a local artwork shop to do a better job!! Comments please.

I quite like it. The swan is very water related and I like swans. I like the retention of the canal bridge and how the swans back/folded wings forms the bridge 'ole.

It is no less cryptic than the National Trusts oak sprig and acorns or English Heritages portcullis or whatever their logo is.

Laurence I was very impressed with your appearance on TV last night and your campaigning on the polution issue.

Unfortunately I can not say the same for your anti BW campaigning.

This is not anti BW at all, I dont do "anti BW campaigning" quite the oppositte in fact. Its just that everyone who doesnt know what it is, does not relate it to Canals and Rivers, I genuinly feel it is not a good logo and will tell them so at the AGM tomorrow.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Actually, BW say that it is a work in progress and may be modified before the Big Launch next year.

In your poll, you forgot to include:

- a swan in front of a hill

- a canal bridge with a blooming great swan-neck-shaped crack in it

Well put, they have been added now

I have to say that the only thing you see when you look at it is a swan, even for those in the know, I don't think you really see the bridge at all, and the proportions are all wrong anyway.

So I'm with the "White Swan" pub sign I am afraid. I hope it can be improved upon.

Modified%20Swan.jpg

Like it!!

Seriously though, I think most logos are obscure. The logo merely represents the organisation graphically and most of the time it will appear with the name underneath it. Unfortunately the River & Canal Trust will have to get away from all the "bad stuff" that is associated with BW and will have to work hard to create its own positive brand identity.

Thanks Laurence.

I think it's awful and I've no desire to paint it as the logo in front of an index number, but then I've never cared for the bridge and bullrush logo either. A customer once commented " Bullrushes...they're an indicator of a moribund canal", a concept I don't totally agree with, but I know where they're coming from. I prefer the old BW wave logo, maybe because I can apply it in 3 fluid brushstrokes. Progress? Pah!

Cheers

Grumpy Dave

Thanks Laurence.

I think it's awful and I've no desire to paint it as the logo in front of an index number, but then I've never cared for the bridge and bullrush logo either. A customer once commented " Bullrushes...they're an indicator of a moribund canal", a concept I don't totally agree with, but I know where they're coming from. I prefer the old BW wave logo, maybe because I can apply it in 3 fluid brushstrokes. Progress? Pah!

Cheers

Grumpy Dave

Does this mean the new BW charity will pay for my boat to be repainted with the new logo. I add value, visit lots of visitor spots and sell the canals to anyone daft enough to listen........

thewhiteswan.jpg

Thats the new logo.

When do we start painting that on the side of boats then?

When my gran was 100 years old we didn't change her name. Why do we have to alter something which a lot of people think has some historic significance. I am sure that for years to come many of us will still use British Waterways in conversation.