What do you sleep on..?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I personally would not make any major alterations yet,I'd wait and see how what you've got works.as there are not many options of layout on a small boat.

You might regret it and want to alter it all back again. bizzard.

IMHO this is the best advise so far on the thread.

I would change the plastic container for a bucket, far easier!!!!!

Does the brew barrel come with the boat?

I'd live with what's there for a bit, unless the previous owner takes all the pads. If they do all go with him then get an el-cheapo camping mattress to use while you work out what the boat tells you to really do.

After sleeping in my camping hammock and discovering how comfy it is. I have scrapped my bedroom plans all together and converted the space into an office with a hook in two of the corners to hang a hammock diagonaly. I'll gain a function that way.

Edited by Caprifool

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Quo Vadis

An old hessian coal sack stuffed with horsehair and straw.

Just like they had in traditional Hudson "boatman's cabins".

I challenge anyone to read that and NOT scratch :)

• Greenie 1

How about adjusting it some so there is a slatted pull out from one side to the other that sits onto a rail the other side, then it can be left up permanently, gives 'breathability', and can also be pushed away should you want it away ever. Flexibility is key when living on a boat that size. Please don't stop yourself being able to get out of the front doors in an emergency, window or not! It will also give you a little place (I assume) to store bits and pieces under cover but out of the way out there! You could get one of those boxes on wheels to fit under the centre pull out bit of the bed to store clothes or 'stuff' too.

If/when you get up here....we'll work out a gradual remodel to suit you!! :cheers:

For those who live aboard, what kind of bed do you have?

My new boat (Will that line ever get old!!) has not been used as a liveaboard before, and has this rather unattractive set up (scuse the mess... It;s not mine!)

IMAG0252.jpg

Ie, two bench seats with a selection of foam pads on them covered in scratchy stuff that folds out to make a double in the forward part of the cabin.

This is not going to work for me for any length of time!

I want to bin the various components of the moveable foam pads and buy somethingt else (in one piece) to put over the seats instead to make my double bed.

What does everyone else have? I have been thinking about getting some kind of memory foam cut to size online, does this seem like a good idea, or are there other options?

If memory foam or similar is the way to go, what kind of thickness would I want?

What has worked for you?

rip the lot out and buy a desent sofa bed

Reading this I realised how spoilt I am ! As my bed is at the front of the boat, I have a double memory foam matress bought from a bed shop closing down for under £100. Then I have really thick cut to shape foam that extends the sides to 6 foot at the base of the bed, so being a short arse I could sleep cross ways if needed. That way I can always find some space on the bed, even if the dogs get there first! It's not everyones cup of tea but suits us.

Proper sized bed with a really truly mattress.

Me too, it goes with our full size bath and 2 large sofas in the front cabin and with our 5 metres plus of kitchen worktops.......Oh how I am not missing my narrowboat.... :D

Me too, it goes with our full size bath and 2 large sofas in the front cabin and with our 5 metres plus of kitchen worktops.......Oh how I am not missing my narrowboat.... :D

Hello mrsmelly, your boat must be pretty comfortable with all that space, I can't see you ever fancying to go back to a narrowboat, after having been spoiled by this space-ship.

BTW, still haven't had the pleasure of seeing a picture of your boat.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hello mrsmelly, your boat must be pretty comfortable with all that space, I can't see you ever fancying to go back to a narrowboat, after having been spoiled by this space-ship.

BTW, still haven't had the pleasure of seeing a picture of your boat.

Cheers,

Peter.

Actualy its not very big its just fatter, its very very short at only 50 feet. I will deffo miss all the many places I cannot go now cos as we all know the only way to cruise uk inlands is a narrowboat it aint possible with any other beam.

As for pics I havnt taken any yet, in fact In our 20 odd years of boats we have only about 10 foties altogether, we just dont bother wiv cameras at all much. Just trust me its a fat narrowboat and as with ALL of em its PIG UGLY... :lol:

Actualy its not very big its just fatter, its very very short at only 50 feet. I will deffo miss all the many places I cannot go now cos as we all know the only way to cruise uk inlands is a narrowboat it aint possible with any other beam.

As for pics I havnt taken any yet, in fact In our 20 odd years of boats we have only about 10 foties altogether, we just dont bother wiv cameras at all much. Just trust me its a fat narrowboat and as with ALL of em its PIG UGLY... :lol:

O.K. mrsmelly, thanks for your answer, but I still think it's a pitty, as I and surely several other forum-members would have liked to see what you call PIG UGLY.

Peter.