Re: 'The Future of Canal Living...

Smudge38

Featured Posts

Hello All again,.

This is my 3rd Post..I would like clear something up 2 you all (..As 1 member has said on here!). I am NOT a Reporter for anyone.. (..I wish I had Good Job as that!

I am just a Normal Guy, trying 2 do research on living on Canals this is all! Anyway, back 2 the Topic I would like ask now. I have had some very helpful & in 1case detailed reply from a Member who been very helpful. She has raised a Topic for me that I would like 2 ask members now...and their thoughts on this subject.

This Member has told me that in very near future... things on Canals are going change (..In that Inland Waterways are considering Ownership of the Canal System)..to other agency's. The Member who has got touch me says if DO this COULD raise the cost of Living on Canals quite Hugely..

My main reason I have been looking at canals/barge is I was considering as a Home &also a different lifestyle that went with it. But this NEWS makes me very weary of taking finacial leap into the Canals/barge because if it is become hugelly Expensive I will have ditch Idea of a Barge as a Perm Home. This is a shame because I think barge living could be a poss Answer for the Government to SOLVE the 'Housing Prob's'/Shortage that they keep telling us that is Here Now!! What I found Out So Far, that Barge themselves are not that Costly, but seems other expenses are what is the Cost. If what does Happen (As I have been informed could b a Possibilty)) that would blow all ideas out Water 4 a Alternative home for me & close down more Opitions for interested People. If you are now living on a Barge & have thought about this Topic or it greatlly Worries you..please could you give me your thoughts on what I said here!!!!?

I wait keenly for your replies.

Cheers

Newbiee.

- Taking a leap into the canals is not a good idea.

- Most craft on canals are narrowboats, not barges.

- One and two are spelt like that.

There are indeed changes afoot, Smudge, relating to a scheme to make British Waterways into a charity. I don't know the details but there are people on here who will be able to give you plenty of information. I have seen no references to canal living becoming a lifestyle which is only for rich people. Have a look at any stretch of canal and you will see boats whose occupants are obviously not rich at all.

Edited by Athy

Leaving aside your odd writing style and grammar for now, the simple answers to your question are:

living on the canal is going to chance. How much, nobody knows.

Nothing ever gets cheaper, so the cost of living on the canal is likely to go up.

My cristal ball is away for a polish, so appologies for not being able to be more accurate.

Leaving aside your odd writing style and grammar for now, the simple answers to your question are:

living on the canal is going to chance. How much, nobody knows.

Nothing ever gets cheaper, so the cost of living on the canal is likely to go up.

My cristal ball is away for a polish, so appologies for not being able to be more accurate.

And perhaps leaving aside your odd spelling of crystal ball. :lol:

Hello All again,.

This is my 3rd Post..I would like clear something up 2 you all (..As 1 member has said on here!). I am NOT a Reporter for anyone.. (..I wish I had Good Job as that!

I am just a Normal Guy, trying 2 do research on living on Canals this is all! Anyway, back 2 the Topic I would like ask now. I have had some very helpful & in 1case detailed reply from a Member who been very helpful. She has raised a Topic for me that I would like 2 ask members now...and their thoughts on this subject.

This Member has told me that in very near future... things on Canals are going change (..In that Inland Waterways are considering Ownership of the Canal System)..to other agency's. The Member who has got touch me says if DO this COULD raise the cost of Living on Canals quite Hugely..

My main reason I have been looking at canals/barge is I was considering as a Home &also a different lifestyle that went with it. But this NEWS makes me very weary of taking finacial leap into the Canals/barge because if it is become hugelly Expensive I will have ditch Idea of a Barge as a Perm Home. This is a shame because I think barge living could be a poss Answer for the Government to SOLVE the 'Housing Prob's'/Shortage that they keep telling us that is Here Now!! What I found Out So Far, that Barge themselves are not that Costly, but seems other expenses are what is the Cost. If what does Happen (As I have been informed could b a Possibilty)) that would blow all ideas out Water 4 a Alternative home for me & close down more Opitions for interested People. If you are now living on a Barge & have thought about this Topic or it greatlly Worries you..please could you give me your thoughts on what I said here!!!!?

Cheers

Newbiee.

First thought is why is he interspersing text with number that do nothing to make his questions any clearer and not inserting line beaks to make it easier to read.

Second thought is why is he still referring to "The Inland Waterways" despite my telling him there is no such thing and explaining there are a number of navigation authorities.

Third thought is why has he not clarified exactly what he is talking about. I think it is a narrowboat because barges in the normally accepted use of the term are not described as "not that costly" and just to add to that have a look at the "Sons Boat" thread which is about a "not that costly" narrowboat.

Fourth thought is why is he still banging on in the political arena and NOT concentrating on questions the forum can answer. Personally I am not interested in how you think the government should solve the housing shortage etc. I am interested in trying to give sensible answers to pertinent questions - but not for long if you keep on as you are.

To try to answer your questions.

The Government has the intention of turning BRITISH WATERWAYS (England and Wales) into a charity and is well on the way to doing it. You should be able to guess why they want to do this and then work out if the cost of boat owning on BW waters is likely to increase or not.

There is no intention of moving other navigation authorities into the new charity (NWC) AT THIS TIME but the government has reserved the right to move the Environment Agency waterways into the new charity in the future. Unless other navigation authorities voluntarily place their waterways under the control of the new charity AND the charity is willing to accept them no one can comment on their future control. I THINK (not know) that the Baisingstoke Canal Authority would be happy to rid itself of an apparent millstone and the Inland Waterways Association might relinquish the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation if they are assure of their future. I suspect the Avon Navigation Trusts, Peel Holdings (Bridgewater Canal) and the National Trust (River Way) will hold onto their waterways as will the Broads Authority. The Middle Level Commissioners are primarily a drainage board with navigation very much a secondary interest so I can not see them getting involved with the new charity. NOTE!!! This is just my view others may differ.

If anyone tries to tel you they know the answer to your question about future costs they are lying, however I think most of us have a pretty good idea about the likely result.

I think that has covered you only question, the rest seems to be some kind of political agenda which I had hoped you would let drop on the forum although it is perfectly legitimate to pursue it elsewhere.

Please answer the following questions:-

1. Are you mainly interested in a narrowboat, barge, or GRP Cruiser?

2. Have you started investigation residential moorings as I advised?

3. Have you got hold of British Waterways guide to continuous cruising and worked out how you can comply?

Hello All again,.

Cheers

Newbiee.

Why is there a sudden influx of this type of posting on here recently?

Hello All again,.

This is my 3rd Post..I would like clear something up 2 you all (..As 1 member has said on here!). I am NOT a Reporter for anyone.. (..I wish I had Good Job as that!I am just a Normal Guy, trying 2 do research on living on Canals this is all!

Hi Smudge

Are you sure you are not a reviewer for 'Dinghies Boats'?

Calcutt Boats Marina Review

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Why is there a sudden influx of this type of posting on here recently?

This is a good question. It's short and to the point.

Smudge38 never seems to grow weary of asking the same question. What is the answer? I can only hope that somewhere, maybe in another the universe, something will find the answer to the question.

The greatest brains on this forum have, so far, failed. But I feel we are on the verge of something great here................GIVING UP !

Allan, that piece on Calcutt Boats is priceless. What nationality are the people who wrote it? Indeed, what species are they? I am pleased to see that, according to their piece, Calcutt do not practice discrimination: amongst their workforce is "a full time black".

Allan, that piece on Calcutt Boats is priceless. What nationality are the people who wrote it? Indeed, what species are they? I am pleased to see that, according to their piece, Calcutt do not practice discrimination: amongst their workforce is "a full time black".

I wonder whether it has been run through a translation program and back again? Twice, maybe.

I like the 'Elsan collection point' (sweet thought) though pumpout fans might prefer the 'Elsan elimination point'.

My twopenny worth (I'haven't any more spare cash): where ever anyone choses to live is as cheap or as costly as you choose to make it. We have recently sat down and decided what we can do without - like a second car (mine) but biting the bullet and getting rid of it has saved us a fair amount of dosh over the past year. If the main car ins'nt available to use I take the bus to work- no big deal . For us its all comes down to what little luxuries we would be prepared to go without. There's always a cost of living to take into account whether its in a house, mobile home, boat, like rent/mortgage/moorings fees/ground rent/licen fees and other services - its all the extra luxuries that tot up that make a way of life expensive.

Just my thoughts...............dry.gif

Edited by tillergirl

I think Chertsey has it right and the article has been twice through some language translation software.

Here is what it was taken from -

Ezine article

*****Edited to add that I found this on another site (link not provided as the site is suspicious)

Roger and Rosemary Preen opened Calcutt Boats due to racket importance 1973 provision fibreglass cruisers cloak outboard motors over occupy. At the time, the going had no drawing near reaching again immensely obvious ascendancy the road of facilities considering their hirers.

Thirty seven senility to be the process is overmuch different.

Calcutt Boats is accessed via a cool B accession ice the A425 Southam to Daventry landing at Napton On The hillock. A half mile enthusiasm innate passage leads to Calcutt Boats also close Napton tarn. The leading knowledge on inflowing the main gates is of cavity also stillness. To either side of the drive are three fields hide SSSI rank (part of specialized weight) through of the density of savage grasses again flowers

The willow and birch lined offense swings solitary to the slipway again two marinas also sincere primeval to reception, engineering workshop, harbour again hire expeditive. orgy has a trifling chandlery besides a summer definite activity shop. The dock provides diesel, gas, clouded again roast peripheral services through moorers and dying boat on the sublime union canal. ace is besides an Elsan tactics spot again a British Waterways wet iota considerable the lock.

The hangout around the jetty is a uncomplicated untidy. learned is a image tent at unparalleled consummate that has practical sharpened days besides overdue absolute a hill kind ditch nettles. The portray tent is right away to equal refurbished again pronounced though and the barrow is these days to enact bare of weeds also planted harbour wildflowers.

Behind the pier are a align of storage buildings again sheds again the engineering foundry locality ace are a have of terminated engines also gadget parts domination ponderous mindset. crack is besides a unkempt vintage bus that doesn’t positively belong repercussion the dock area.

The bit offers a super colossal ally of services ranging from junior repairs to thundering builds. licensed is a permanent bludgeon of engineers, a carpentry workshop, two undisclosed coupled rainy docks and two singles. known are ponderous occasion painters further blackers but if you supposition a vim of DIY, you power engage a sleep to consummate the spirit yourself

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Einstein struggled with the question, " How much does it cost to live on the canal?". In the end he gave up and settled for that no brainer, his theory of relativity. It's an equation that works out the cost of living, relative to time passing.

IE: The cost of six Cumberland sausages, from Tesco's, is £2.68 in 2011. They take approx 10 mins, under the grill.

Step into a spaceship, with a galley, and put your sausages under the grill. Travel away from the earth at the speed of light ( 186,000 mls a sec ). After five minutes, turn the sausages, turn the spaceship around and whiz back to earth at the speed of light.

!0 mins has elapsed, on the spaceship, and your sausages are done.

However, to the observer, on earth, over 100 years has elapsed.

A boat license, for a 60', is now £5,000. Your packet of sausages now cost £60 ( £110 for two). Your car has been crushed, because you left it on a public highway and didn't pay your tax for a 100 years.

That is how the relativity of the cost of living works. Who am I to question the great man, Einstein.

I've just put a random paragraph from my blog through Google translate - into Estonian, back into English, and then via Swahili.

It is usually the combination of evidence and sound reasoning and not gnwriting color scheme I chose - was inspired by comments by Paul (Capricorn) is the last year, Braunston. This is a very short time color scheme (maybe used in 1948 only) in the period immediately after the nationalization of boats Gu (because they were directly owned by the Company of the Canal) is passed into the ownership of the mainland docks and waterways in the Executive (who had already branding themselves "British waterways" during the British Board of the stream when the body does not come available until later), but sold out before the FMC and BW program prior art yellow and blue has been developed. In short, the boats were built at that time were painted using the colors of their current stocks of Gu War "rigor" in color, but with a different layout and I gnwritten "stream of Britain". If you have a copy of the Canal Sonia Rolt men and 96 page picture, this clearly shows.

It'd take a few more goes to come up with something really priceless but a good occupation for a rainy afternoon perhaps.

The amazing thing is that it (and the Calcutt review) still comes out making some kind of sense.

I like 'Stream of Britain' as a possible name for the NWC.

<snip>

This isn't your third post, it's your ninth.

A read through many recent threads in this section of the forum (ie from 2011) and the 'live-a-board' section of the forum will give you answers to many of your questions. There's no need to ask them again and again.

Essentially there may well be changes afoot as British Waterways is to become a charity in England & Wales. This will take place in 2012. What those changes will be we're still not sure. But the right to "continuously cruise" is given in law. However the new charity may make it more difficult and/or more expensive. Again, exactly what will happen cannot be answered for certain at the moment on this forum.

I suspect the costs involved in living aboard a boat is set to rise quite a bit over the coming years, whether you've got a mooring or not. The waterways are losing money (only government support is keeping the system going) and so the new charity will have to raise money some how. Either that or some canals will be abandoned once again!

The changes however may take many years. Just keep an eye out for developments/news. More will become clear in 2012 once the new charity is established.

Edited by Proud Salopian

This isn't your third post, it's your ninth.

A read through many recent threads in this section of the forum (ie from 2011) and the 'live-a-board' section of the forum will give you answers to many of your questions. There's no need to ask them again and again.

SNIP

Unfortunately I think some have emailed him so we are not privy to what Smudge38 has been told but I am clear that his direct questions have been answered several times over and other useful advice has been given.

I am minded that there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see and none so deaf as those that do not wish to hear. I think Smudge38 is trying to get us all fired up on what is essentially a political point and can not understand why few are rising to his bait.

I have PMd him to try to get him to see what he needs to do if he wants to be taken more seriously but I doubt he really does.

I am now convinced he is almost certainly a troll or Gollywobblers comment about needing help is rather too close to the truth.

Unfortunately I think some have emailed him so we are not privy to what Smudge38 has been told but I am clear that his direct questions have been answered several times over and other useful advice has been given.

I am minded that there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see and none so deaf as those that do not wish to hear. I think Smudge38 is trying to get us all fired up on what is essentially a political point and can not understand why few are rising to his bait.

I have PMd him to try to get him to see what he needs to do if he wants to be taken more seriously but I doubt he really does.

I am now convinced he is almost certainly a troll or Gollywobblers comment about needing help is rather too close to the truth.

I am convinced that he is a member of the Press, Even if he claims otherwise (Reporters don`t have a good rep for telling the truth) Its the sort of thing that papers like Daily mail do.

Firesprite

In the wet and windy Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite

- Taking a leap into the canals is not a good idea.

- Most craft on canals are narrowboats, not barges.

- One and two are spelt like that.

There are indeed changes afoot, Smudge, relating to a scheme to make British Waterways into a charity. I don't know the details but there are people on here who will be able to give you plenty of information. I have seen no references to canal living becoming a lifestyle which is only for rich people. Have a look at any stretch of canal and you will see boats whose occupants are obviously not rich at all.

How do you know?

Hello All again,.

Cheers

Newbiee.

Some points that might make it easier for people to treat you seriously.

Firstly you have sent nine posts now - it says that on your entry if you look. I think what you have done is to start three threads - new topics. One thing that is making people cross though is that your topics/threads are NOT new, but are the same one each time.

I guess too that you are still confused about the body that is in charge of the majority of inland waterways. It is called British Waterways, and the canals and rivers under its control are known as inland waterways, i.e. waterways that are 'inland' rather than being part of the coast or at sea.

I don't know quite what you mean by "Canals/barge", but keeping it as simple as I can the majority of boats on canals are 7' wide narrowboats as the majority of locks are only 7' wide. There are canals and rivers with larger locks where you can have a wider craft, which might be a barge (generally a straight sided square section craft), or a cruiser of some sort.

Your main point each time is that 'someone' should make boats and moorings/maintenance cheaper so you can live on one. If you wish to rally a crowd to march on Westminster to get the government to do this you should get yourself far more organised, as your posts are not convincing anyone on this forum other than Gollywobbler and Nina C (if I recall their trading names correctly).

I hope this reply will help you to use the correct terminology, as that will at least enable people to understand more clearly what you are on about.

Edited by Tam & Di