Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

Well, I took a trip up to Barby today and nothing much seems to have changed - not a pontoon in sight, afloat or ashore; near the entrance there is a bunch of four or five nb rafted together, it was difficult to determine whether they actually were moored 'stern to' or one was laying alongside one of the 'garden' moorings and the others had simply been layed alongside.

The brick bridge looked complete from the outside - but that's no guarantee it has any form of roadway yet.

I did manage to get some pictures whilst dawdling down the cut but not from any great height unfortunately - it looks as if there are nb around the periphery of the lake but none on the island itself.

Electricity - frightening! It looked to me as if the electricity is supplied via cables simply laid on top of the grass and every now and then there is some form of multi-outlet socket which then powers the nb .. but nothing looks secured and apart from the trip hazards (coils of cable and not a bit of warning tape to be seen from the cut) those blue plugs aren't exactly watertight - I'd lay money that if the H&S paid a visit they would have kittens, it looked shocking (sorry about the pun!)

Once I find my usb cable (for the camera) I'll put some pics up but, having looked at some taken a month ago, I'd suggest not a lot has altered apart from the bridge.

To think TM said to me 'that if I wanted to touch up the paintwork I ought to do it in the maintenance area - so as not to disturb my neighbours' .. well, it's just a bad joke, isn't it :-(

I suppose ... noo o o ..., there couldn't be *two* new Barby Marinas, could there? Like, well a 'proper' one - and this one has been fitted with several dozen 'You've Been Framed' cameras, all well hidden away?

Trevor

What money does the marina pay bw , is a percentage of the berths on the plans due from when it opened , when the pontoons are in place or when berths are occupied , would the money for bw be paid in advance or are bw due to join a creditors list like the boaters left in a mess.

Well, I took a trip up to Barby today and nothing much seems to have changed - not a pontoon in sight, afloat or ashore; near the entrance there is a bunch of four or five nb rafted together, it was difficult to determine whether they actually were moored 'stern to' or one was laying alongside one of the 'garden' moorings and the others had simply been layed alongside.

The brick bridge looked complete from the outside - but that's no guarantee it has any form of roadway yet.

I did manage to get some pictures whilst dawdling down the cut but not from any great height unfortunately - it looks as if there are nb around the periphery of the lake but none on the island itself.

Electricity - frightening! It looked to me as if the electricity is supplied via cables simply laid on top of the grass and every now and then there is some form of multi-outlet socket which then powers the nb .. but nothing looks secured and apart from the trip hazards (coils of cable and not a bit of warning tape to be seen from the cut) those blue plugs aren't exactly watertight - I'd lay money that if the H&S paid a visit they would have kittens, it looked shocking (sorry about the pun!)

Once I find my usb cable (for the camera) I'll put some pics up but, having looked at some taken a month ago, I'd suggest not a lot has altered apart from the bridge.

To think TM said to me 'that if I wanted to touch up the paintwork I ought to do it in the maintenance area - so as not to disturb my neighbours' .. well, it's just a bad joke, isn't it :-(

I suppose ... noo o o ..., there couldn't be *two* new Barby Marinas, could there? Like, well a 'proper' one - and this one has been fitted with several dozen 'You've Been Framed' cameras, all well hidden away?

Trevor

When you say the bridge do you mean the brick built one? Did you see whether coffer dams either side of it are still in place or has the ground under the bridge been excavated giving 360 degree water access to the island. Interesting but unsurprising to see the electricial supply remains as was. On the positive side (no pun meant here either) it's only 'suspect' 12 hours a day.

Frank

What money does the marina pay bw , is a percentage of the berths on the plans due from when it opened , when the pontoons are in place or when berths are occupied , would the money for bw be paid in advance or are bw due to join a creditors list like the boaters left in a mess.

Barby will already have paid or will be owing BW many thousands of pounds for feasibility study, water resources study, marina filling, leakage tests, connection, drainage etc.

However, what you are referring to is, I believe, the Network Access Agreement (NAA). The NAA runs from the date that the marina is planned to be connected to the system (rather than the date it is connected). Marinas pay BW of 9% of the gross mooring capacity multiplied by the mooring rate (net of VAT) charged at the marina. In other words, its 9% of yearly mooring charges assuming a full marina. It is paid three monthly in advance.

However, the charges are phased over time - 0% first year, 50% second year and 100% thereafter.

As Barby was due to open a year ago, it is possible that they have now been billed as they are in the second year.

I will leave it to someone else to work out how much.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

I did wonder about the bridge - but the side is not very conducive to a safe mooring and I also needed to get further down the cut and find a spot to moor for the evening. Once it had become obvious that nothing had changed I didn't bother too much - other than to feel sorry for the folk inside. Are they too scared about being sued for the outstanding money if they upped and went? It all just seems very strange to me; if you booked into an hotel and there wasn't a bed then most folk would get up and go - even if the management DID offer to put two armchairs together ....

• Greenie 1

A genuine question.

With the rumoured intention for BW to be rid of on-line moorings therefore agreeing to additional marinas such as Barby, what is happening to the private moorings immediately to the North of the opening to Barby? Are they safe in the long run or under threat?

Martyn

A genuine question.

With the rumoured intention for BW to be rid of on-line moorings therefore agreeing to additional marinas such as Barby, what is happening to the private moorings immediately to the North of the opening to Barby? Are they safe in the long run or under threat?

Martyn

I would think pretty safe at the moment......if BW don't get paid, they could re-pile the entrance........

A genuine question.

Martyn

What BW have said is that they will get rid of one local online mooring for every ten created in a marina. However, with many online moorings failing to sell at auction, this is not really a problem to them.

This does not apply to offside moorings.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

What BW have said is that they will get rid of one local online mooring for every ten created in a marina. However, with many online moorings failing to sell at auction, this is not really a problem to them.

This does not apply to offside moorings.

That's interesting. Do you have chapter and verse for this?

That's interesting. Do you have chapter and verse for this?

British Waterways will reduce the number of online, long term moorings as new offline capacity

comes onto the market. This will be done in a ratio of 1:10: one on-line berth will be given up for every

ten new berths created off line. Reductions will be made within the geographical market supplied by

the new offline marina within 12 months of the opening date of the new site. For the purpose of clarity,

we will make the reductions within a 30 mile radius of the new marina berths.

Reductions in online moorings will take place primarily through reductions in the number of BW’s

directly managed long term mooring berths. Exceptionally, where legally possible, reductions may be

achieved by terminating (subject to notice) or not renewing agreements, for privately owned offside

sites.

Exceptionally, where legally possible, reductions may be

achieved by terminating (subject to notice) or not renewing agreements, for privately owned offside

sites.

Ah, thanks. I thought for a moment you'd found something which exempted BW offside sites - which is where I'm moored.

Ah, thanks. I thought for a moment you'd found something which exempted BW offside sites - which is where I'm moored.

Well, I think you all had better get your eyes tested because last night I e-mailed Barby about availability from December to March and that I wanted electric by the boat.

Now open, he replied, Barby was somewhere different; safe, secure, and environmently friendly. The pontoons ARE arranged in communites of around 20 boats.

If my preferred location is not available then they will suggest an alternative location.

All I have to do is send off my £400 deposit and nirvana awaits. ( I made up the nirvana bit )

So there you are; there are communities of 20 boats snugly wrapped round by numbered pontoons. You just didn't look hard enough.

If I was clever enough to do one of those linky things I would have shown the full e-mail.

Now, where did I put my cheque book.

Well, I think you all had better get your eyes tested because last night I e-mailed Barby about availability from December to March and that I wanted electric by the boat.

Now open, he replied, Barby was somewhere different; safe, secure, and environmently friendly. The pontoons ARE arranged in communites of around 20 boats.

If my preferred location is not available then they will suggest an alternative location.

All I have to do is send off my £400 deposit and nirvana awaits. ( I made up the nirvana bit )

So there you are; there are communities of 20 boats snugly wrapped round by numbered pontoons. You just didn't look hard enough.

If I was clever enough to do one of those linky things I would have shown the full e-mail.

I think the full email will be of real use to moorers at Barby. You can copy and paste the content to here easily or if you wish forward it to me and I'd be happy to do it - I can pm you my email address if you want me to do it.

I would very much appreciate a copy of that E Mail

I'm taking the liberty of PM ing my E ail address.

If there's any problem don't worry I'll understand

Frank (he who did find his debit card)