Cabin Stool Dimensions

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Being confined to the house looking after Jan at the moment, I am looking for boat related things to do, and have decided to make a Cabin Stool, which Ron Hough has already agreed to decorate for me.

The problem is that whilst there are plenty of photos around, I do not have access to one for measurements, so I am wondering if anyone who has a cabin Stool could measure it for me. The dimensions I need are the size of the top, the plan size of the legs section, and the overall height, I can probably work out the rest for myself.

I thank you in advance and promise to post a photo when it is painted and decorated.

Edited by David Schweizer

Being confined to the house looking after Jan at the moment, I am looking for boat related things to do, and have decided to make a Cabin Stool, which Ron Hough has already agreed to decorate for me.

The problem is that whilst there are plenty of photos around, I do not have access to one for measurements, so I am wondering if anyone who has a cabin Stool could measure it for me. The dimensions I need are the size of the top, the plan size of the legs section, and the overall height, I can probably work out the rest for myself.

I thank you in advance and promise to post a photo when it is painted and decorated.

Not much help I know but the four old painted cabin stools we have are all different sizes and designs.

We have a couple of stools, both have circular tops in beechwood 1.5 inches thick 13 inches in diameter. I'm quite big 19 stone plus and that size is just about comfortable for me. Obviously height depends on what you want to use it for.I actually shortened one to fit under a small antique desk at 21 inches

ETA

Has 4 main legs at 40mm square rounded corners they splay out slightly from top to bottom, these are all held together with 20mm dowel 2 dowels to each side. All seem to be glued.

The top of the 4 main legs are jointed together with 40mm x 20mm slats, 4 slats in total. You screw through these slats to affix the circular seat.

Tricky to make with splaying legs which are 2 inches wider at the base than the top. You could use some ply to make a pyramid shape box as a template to build around, Splayed legs make a very sturdy stool though.

Edited by Julynian

Hello David, happen to have a measure in my hand and a cabin stool to hand,

size of the top - 18'x10½'x1'

plan size of the legs section - 12'x8½'

overall height - 13'

edit

I was going to add a photo but photobucket died.

Thanks for that, it is about the size I magined they would be, Now I will have to sort through my timber stock to find some suitable pieces.

We have a couple of stools, both have circular tops in beechwood 1.5 inches thick 13 inches in diameter. I'm quite big 19 stone plus and that size is just about comfortable for me. Obviously height depends on what you want to use it for.I actually shortened one to fit under a small antique desk at 21 inches

ETA

Has 4 main legs at 40mm square rounded corners they splay out slightly from top to bottom, these are all held together with 20mm dowel 2 dowels to each side. All seem to be glued.

The top of the 4 main legs are jointed together with 40mm x 20mm slats, 4 slats in total. You screw through these slats to affix the circular seat.

Tricky to make with splaying legs which are 2 inches wider at the base than the top. You could use some ply to make a pyramid shape box as a template to build around, Splayed legs make a very sturdy stool though.

Thanks for the information, but I should have explained that I was after in the size of traditional rectangular stools. As it happens I do have tha set of Chirmaker's Winged Augers for drilling the leg sockets at an angle, but that is far too sophistcated a design for the stool that I wish to make. Thanks anyway.

Ahhhh I think maybe you mean one of these type of stool, this photo possibly.

new_maroonStool_side_small.jpg

Yes that is the type of stool I wish to make, I never thought of asking Terrence.

Thanks for the information, but I should have explained that I was after in the size of traditional rectangular stools. As it happens I do have tha set of Chirmaker's Winged Augers for drilling the leg sockets at an angle, but that is far too sophistcated a design for the stool that I wish to make. Thanks anyway.

Hi David, yeah I clicked that and posted just before you did.

Nice little stool though.

I suspect that those sold now like the one pictured may be rather smaller than an older item ?

Certainly a couple came with Chalice, not each the same size anyway, and, I'd say, rather smaller than "the real thing".

I suspect that those sold now like the one pictured may be rather smaller than an older item ?

I was going to say the opposite. I think newer ones are too big.

Here is one I have, it's not old (well 20 years) but I believe it was copied from an old one.

It is 14 inches long. 7 wide and 8.5 high.

RIMG0001-1.jpg

RIMG0003-1.jpg

Hello David, happen to have a measure in my hand and a cabin stool to hand,

size of the top - 18'x10½'x1'

plan size of the legs section - 12'x8½'

overall height - 13'

edit to add

rsz_dscf0025.jpg

rsz_dscf0026.jpg

Thanks for posting the images. Definitely the work of Ron Hough, but some years ago, I would say about 1990 or possibly earlier.

Thanks for posting the images. Definitely the work of Ron Hough, but some years ago, I would say about 1990 or possibly earlier.

Surely the size of a cabin stool is determined by its cabin: Length to fit between the bed hole and the side bed, height to fit under the bed flap when its down, width for a boater's bum.

N

This one, painted by 'er indoors some years ago, is roughly 17" x 11" across the top:-

Cabinstool-1.jpg

Taller than some at about 17". Most, like this, in recent years have probably been made with an eye for the 'home' market which could explain them being bigger than those made purely for back cabin use.

Tim

This one, painted by 'er indoors some years ago, is roughly 17" x 11" across the top:-

Cabinstool-1.jpg

Taller than some at about 17". Most, like this, in recent years have probably been made with an eye for the 'home' market which could explain them being bigger than those made purely for back cabin use.

Tim

Very nice,I wish my Castles were as good as that, very Frank Nurser! I can just about manage decent Roses and Daisies, but my Castles always end up looking like someting from a Walt Disney film. Making a stool presents no problems, but my limited painting abilty is why I shall be getting Ron Hough to decorate it.

One thing is becoming very apparent from all te replies, there is no such thing as a standard size Cabin Stool. However, the measurements being provided are useful in order for me to get some idea of proprtion.

Very nice,I wish my Castles were as good as that, very Frank Nurser! I can just about manage decent Roses and Daisies, but my Castles always end up looking like someting from a Walt Disney film. Making a stool presents no problems, but my limited painting abilty is why I shall be getting Ron Hough to decorate it.

She used to do it for a living, so has had plenty of practice ;)

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, it is about the size I magined they would be, Now I will have to sort through my timber stock to find some suitable pieces.

In the end I have made one a bit smaller than that, partly based on the salvageed timber I had in stock, and also the fact that we need a fairl;y small one if it can be left out in the main cabin. Anyway here are couple of photos of the finished article but as yet unpainted.

MyStool002.jpg

MyStool001.jpg

• 1 month later...

Having Painted the cabin stool I recently made, I left it with Ron Hough for decoration, and collected it yesterday, I think you will agree that it is very pretty, here are some pictures:-

MyStool08.jpg

MyStool11.jpg

MyStool15.jpg