Nurser Cabin Stool

Terence

Featured Posts

Quite an exciting find but such a shame that time has made it worse for wear. But nonetheless a rare Cabin stool made and painted by the Nurser clan. George made the stool and Frank painted it. One of their earlier pieces. Note the country scene with no castle and daises no roses.

NurserCabinStool.jpg

NurserCabinStool2.jpg

NurserCabinStool3.jpg

NurserCabinStool4.jpg

Terence :)

Edited by Terence

Risking the obvious, they were used for sitting on. Sometimes inside the cabin across the end of the bed'ole area, sometimes on the back deck when the cabin was being used fully for other purposes, or maybe on the towpath. You might put a handbowl on it for a wash as you sat on the side bench, or peel some spuds, anything like that.

Often just kept at the bed'ole end, or under the bed when lowered. Just a useful little seat really for sitting on to do anything that does not require standing up - even in the engine'ole. It's quite surprising just how often such a stool can get used once you have one. One of life's unexpected treasures.

Risking the obvious, they were used for sitting on. Sometimes inside the cabin across the end of the bed'ole area, sometimes on the back deck when the cabin was being used fully for other purposes, or maybe on the towpath. You might put a handbowl on it for a wash as you sat on the side bench, or peel some spuds, anything like that.

Often just kept at the bed'ole end, or under the bed when lowered. Just a useful little seat really for sitting on to do anything that does not require standing up - even in the engine'ole. It's quite surprising just how often such a stool can get used once you have one. One of life's unexpected treasures.

Many thanks, i think i'll have ago at making one:D

Paul

Many thanks, i think i'll have ago at making one:D

Paul

Yeah, the important thing is to make one that will fit somewhere it will actually tuck away when not in use, and have enough splay on the legs for it to be quite stable. I've heard some had a little drawer beneath for boot brushes and such, but they may have been more contemporary. A bit different, but I made a stool for the garage once and fitted a small three inch vice on it, the number of times it got used in 'away from the bench' situations were very many. With my own weight on the stool cutting and bending items were easily accomplished.

Derek

Risking being told off for asking the obvious, but to what purpose was a traditional cabin stool used? And where would it be stored during it's 'off duty' moments?

Cheers

Paul

My intention of showing this piece in the History & Heritage was to highlight a past masters artwork. But now it seems to have turned into Carpenters world. I'll go along with the initial question which was superbly answered. But maybe a new thread should be started on the topic of 'the making of a Cabin Stool' if that is what is more interesting. :(

I've started the ball rolling Click here

Terence

Ah! The best plans of Mice and Men oft go astray!

No intention on my part to hijack your topic Terence, that's a nice find, and the subject has historic connections going back to almost beyond canal 'art'. Such landscape themes were quite new over 400yrs ago, when previously portraits and studies of 'beasts' were the norm. Quite why Mr. Nurser left out the usual Castle will unlikely be known, but I would hazard to guess enough had been put on cabin panelling already. I'd be inclined to want to clean it up some and get the dirt stain off by using such methods that professional restorers would use, but nothing wrong with leaving it be.

My intention of showing this piece in the History & Heritage was to highlight a past masters artwork. But now it seems to have turned into Carpenters world.

It is said that a joiner can do a carpenter's job but a carpenter would struggle to create a piece of furniture (though I wouldn't want to put a roof frame on a house).

Likewise I'm guessing that you'd be quite capable of wielding a paint roller, and slapping some vinyl matt on the wall, but a painter and decorator might struggle to produce your work.

Tis a fine piece of period rustic joinery, though, that Charles (George??), let his brother slap a bit of paint on. ;)

My intention of showing this piece in the History & Heritage was to highlight a past masters artwork. But now it seems to have turned into Carpenters world. I'll go along with the initial question which was superbly answered. But maybe a new thread should be started on the topic of 'the making of a Cabin Stool' if that is what is more interesting. :(

I've started the ball rolling Click here

Terence

My humble apologies, a thread hijack was never my intention, sorry!

Back to the decoration then, I quite like the style of the daisies and the pansies(?) less so the landscape, from what period is the stool from?

Paul

I have a friend who worked at Barlows Braunston yard who remembers making stools with drawers in, as he was there up to Michael Streat and Blue Line days I am not sure exactly when it was that the stools were being made.

While having work done at Charity Dock on LILY in the early 60`s Jess Owen made &painted me a cabin stool, which had a drawer fitted. I was told that he worked at Braunston in his early days so that may be the reason mine was made with a drawer

Looks like you've frightened folk off of replying on the other thread Terence!

If a thread begins on cabin stools, let it encompass all aspects, as I don't think there is enough active knowledge amongst the contributors to sub-divide such a thread into design, construction, and applied art. Though I may be wrong.

The Nurser stool certainly comes under History & Heritage, as do references to such things as style and design from the past. Not sure about the contemporaries though. Don't get me wrong though - I do appreciate the sharing of the images and the associated comments. But there is only so much you can say about one man's style and work.

• Greenie 1

Charles (George??),

Whoops :blush: sorry was talking to George at the Stop house showing him the stool.

My humble apologies, a thread hijack was never my intention, sorry!

Back to the decoration then, I quite like the style of the daisies and the pansies(?) less so the landscape, from what period is the stool from?

Paul

Your forgiven. The stool was given to his niece when she was I think 9-10 she is now 70 but I beleive it was already painted so could be older.

While having work done at Charity Dock on LILY in the early 60`s Jess Owen made &painted me a cabin stool, which had a drawer fitted. I was told that he worked at Braunston in his early days so that may be the reason mine was made with a drawer

Yes Jess did work in Braunston (some crackin work of his on Lion) Some of his family still live in the village.

Hi Terance

My point was not to hijack the thread but to add some more history to it that was specific to Braunston, I take your point and am quite happy to use the other thread.

I understand. ;)

Looks like you've frightened folk off of replying on the other thread Terence!

If a thread begins on cabin stools, let it encompass all aspects, as I don't think there is enough active knowledge amongst the contributors to sub-divide such a thread into design, construction, and applied art. Though I may be wrong.

The Nurser stool certainly comes under History & Heritage, as do references to such things as style and design from the past. Not sure about the contemporaries though. Don't get me wrong though - I do appreciate the sharing of the images and the associated comments. But there is only so much you can say about one man's style and work.

Finally I think I may have over reacted. I was excited in finding such an historic item (being a painter myself) and really wanted to share my find and when I saw the thread heading to Tommy Walsh's DIY slot. I felt sad. SORRY all.

How about taking a picture of your own Cabin Stools and adding them to the other thread. To show the different style and artwork etc.

Cheers, Terence

I saw the thread heading to Tommy Walsh's DIY slot. I felt sad. SORRY all.

So you're still not acknowledging the work of one of the finest narrow boat builders to have put saw to timber, then? :P

The stool has added importance because there is so little original work left, by Charles Nurser (apart from, perhaps, the big lump of rotten oak, over the fence from you).

In my opinion the stool you have is just as important as the decoration because most of the woodwork of the original boat builders has either been binned (in the case of small items, such as your stool) or rebuilt (in the case of the boats). More of the painters' works live on, as small collectables that have the advantage of being applied to galvanised metalware.

Cherish the joinery underneath, as much as the paint on top, because there is so little of it left.

So you're still not acknowledging the work of one of the finest narrow boat builders to have put saw to timber, then? :P

The stool has added importance because there is so little original work left, by Charles Nurser (apart from, perhaps, the big lump of rotten oak, over the fence from you).

In my opinion the stool you have is just as important as the decoration because most of the woodwork of the original boat builders has either been binned (in the case of small items, such as your stool) or rebuilt (in the case of the boats). More of the painters' works live on, as small collectables that have the advantage of being applied to galvanised metalware.

Cherish the joinery underneath, as much as the paint on top, because there is so little of it left.

Your quite right, art comes in many different forms. The making of the Stool is equally as important as the Artwork. I myself favour the painting as to the canvas. Their niece Sheila (who still lives in Braunston in one of the old Nurser family homes which I believe use to be a pub) told me about the two fellow’s and how Charles concentrated mainly on the woodworking side, but was still a good artist in his own right but very little (if any) has survived. I will look at the wood and the paint equally and smile with glee ;)

Excuse my ignorance but are we talking about Lucy over the fence? Pete has it under a tent now.

Terence

Excuse my ignorance but are we talking about Lucy over the fence? Pete has it under a tent now.

Yes Lucy has the original bottoms, apparently laid by Charles, but not for long.

I have been clearing out my garages, as I've rented a workshop and yard, and have found Lucy's cabin bench (pretty much a plank of wood that goes where the cross bed would be, during the day).

I will photograph it, before passing it on to Pete, though it has suffered from a long term sinking (like the rest of the boat).