Who do some people think they are ??

kiki

Featured Posts

Serioulsy she said, getting the can opener and the can of worms to hand:

Buxworth is a BW site and is open as far as I know to first come first served.

So last night we turn up and the lower arm looks pretty full from a distance, and there is a little man in a striped t-shirt and a walking stick waving us past the lower arm to the upper arms. How nice I thought - how friendly to wave at us like that.

Only when we got alongside the lower arm do you realise that the boats are all moored with at least half a boat length between them hmmmm she thinks, perhpas little man was not so friendly as we first thought or this lot really don't know how to moor up.

However after some investigations a member of a certain cruising club revealed to me gentle reader, that they planned to have the "same arm as they always have this bank holiday weekend" - now although not an earth shatteringly awful thing to do, I will admit, and in the great scheme of things no one cried, and no one died, but it does seem a bit selfish to behave like this on BW property, and as far as I know not really allowed - although I am fairly new to the territorial oddities of boating. The lower arm is the most popular place to moor up and closest to the pub and parking. Surely keeping places for your mates by mooring up like that and waving people past like an impromptu traffic warden is just not cricket (or in the spirit of boating - as the term was once turned on me).

Of course it might all be a figleaf of my imagination in which case deepest apologies and grovelling, howver if I am correct in my assumption its somewhat uncharitable - no naming and shaming here - you know who you are - so do we ............now sitting with a handful of worms . <_<

Serioulsy she said, getting the can opener and the can of worms to hand:

Buxworth is a BW site and is open as far as I know to first come first served.

So last night we turn up and the lower arm looks pretty full from a distance, and there is a little man in a striped t-shirt and a walking stick waving us past the lower arm to the upper arms. How nice I thought - how friendly to wave at us like that.

Only when we got alongside the lower arm do you realise that the boats are all moored with at least half a boat length between them hmmmm she thinks, perhpas little man was not so friendly as we first thought or this lot really don't know how to moor up.

However after some investigations a member of a certain cruising club revealed to me gentle reader, that they planned to have the "same arm as they always have this bank holiday weekend" - now although not an earth shatteringly awful thing to do, I will admit, and in the great scheme of things no one cried, and no one died, but it does seem a bit selfish to behave like this on BW property, and as far as I know not really allowed - although I am fairly new to the territorial oddities of boating. The lower arm is the most popular place to moor up and closest to the pub and parking. Surely keeping places for your mates by mooring up like that and waving people past like an impromptu traffic warden is just not cricket (or in the spirit of boating - as the term was once turned on me).

Of course it might all be a figleaf of my imagination in which case deepest apologies and grovelling, howver if I am correct in my assumption its somewhat uncharitable - no naming and shaming here - you know who you are - so do we ............now sitting with a handful of worms . <_<

Hi

I found the same situation at Easter. To be fair, even though the place was pretty packed we did find some great moorings around the back.

The club is most welcoming and they are happy for you to join in with their festivities. In fact - why not join the club?

'Now sitting on an hand full of worms'...............................hoo Missisblush.gif

Alex

I wouldn't worry about them. Even though they have absolutely no right to do this I wouldn't want to spend a weekend in the middle of them.

Use the top basin, it is nearer the pub and you won't have a white boat from the clouds of limestone dust in the lower arm.

George ex nb Alton retired

We went there in 2009 same weekend and felt hassled to death. A man came out of the little hut and shouted, 'you can't moor here you know!' as we were filling up. :rolleyes: We knew that *sigh* .

We then had everyone scowling at us as we tried to find somewhere to moor elsewhere. We gave up and winded and left.

Hi

I found the same situation at Easter. To be fair, even though the place was pretty packed we did find some great moorings around the back.

The club is most welcoming and they are happy for you to join in with their festivities. In fact - why not join the club?

'Now sitting on an hand full of worms'...............................hoo Missisblush.gif

Alex

Hi , not saying we dont have a delightful mooring and obviously the perpetrators of this act know who I am and which boat is mine :rolleyes: I felt the behaviour was rahter high handed, considerng its first come first served - Ok admittedly one boat reserving a place for a mate while they catch up is something one might be tempted to do, but when its quite a few boats and all clearly keeping places for the rest of the gang who did not arrive by nightfall last night is just taking territorial possession a bit too far. If they are as friendly as you say, (and you obviulsy know who I am talking about :blush: ) why would they have such a exclusive attitue agaist those who are not in their circle. Surely you make new members and friends by being welcoming, not by closing ranks and not letting anyone else moor up next to you.

We went there in 2009 same weekend and felt hassled to death. A man came out of the little hut and shouted, 'you can't moor here you know!' as we were filling up. :rolleyes: We knew that *sigh* .

We then had everyone scowling at us as we tried to find somewhere to moor elsewhere. We gave up and winded and left.

Lady Muck, on behalf of all us Northern boaters let me assure you, we do NOT all behave like this, Northerners are known to be friendly and welcoming lot, I don't know what gets into people when they get into a group, a sort of clicky mentalitily develops - please accept my apologies even though I do not belong to said club I am sure that had they know it was your Noble Self they would have welcomed you. If we had been there you could have joined us for one hell of a barbecue that went on for 2 days.

Give us another chance OK

Hi

Alex

Yes, we found the same situation at Easter, when we arrived on the Saturday evening, to stay until Monday.

The basin was absolutely crammed full of boats, and we learn from the club's Commodore's Newsletter;

Some boats went to Bugsworth on the Wednesday to prepare the venue which involved erecting the Marquee and trying to save mooring spaces for the flotilla that followed.

This is a 48hr mooring, and there was barely a spot to be had and some boats had been there since Wednesday.

None of them moved off until Monday, which when there is pressure on moorings is unacceptable.

We ended up with a very precarious mooring in the upper basin arm, and as we left on the Monday helped to pull another boat off a hidden underwater obstruction that he probably wouldn't have grounded on if there wasn't such a shortage of space caused by the overstaying.

The arrogant corporate attitude of the club in question isn't something that I would wish to be associated with.

Hi , not saying we dont have a delightful mooring and obviously the perpetrators of this act know who I am and which boat is mine :rolleyes: I felt the behaviour was rahter high handed, considerng its first come first served - Ok admittedly one boat reserving a place for a mate while they catch up is something one might be tempted to do, but when its quite a few boats and all clearly keeping places for the rest of the gang who did not arrive by nightfall last night is just taking territorial possession a bit too far. If they are as friendly as you say, (and you obviulsy know who I am talking about :blush: ) why would they have such a exclusive attitue agaist those who are not in their circle. Surely you make new members and friends by being welcoming, not by closing ranks and not letting anyone else moor up next to you.

To be fair the club was asked to moor there by the IWPS. In fact they were asked to moor three across so that the rest of the basin would be free for non club members. The man with the stick is a a pain in the *rse however ( I like the "little"!) in that he has no idea how to deal politely with others. If you had moored there then you may well have found yourself trapped in by all the other boats when they arrive tomorrow or Saturday. He should have explained this.

You will find the members of the club very friendly and helpful and you will probably be invited to the entertainment.

Yes, we found the same situation at Easter, when we arrived on the Saturday evening, to stay until Monday.

The basin was absolutely crammed full of boats, and we learn from the club's Commodore's Newsletter;

Some boats went to Bugsworth on the Wednesday to prepare the venue which involved erecting the Marquee and trying to save mooring spaces for the flotilla that followed.

This is a 48hr mooring, and there was barely a spot to be had and some boats had been there since Wednesday.

None of them moved off until Monday, which when there is pressure on moorings is unacceptable.

We ended up with a very precarious mooring in the upper basin arm, and as we left on the Monday helped to pull another boat off a hidden underwater obstruction that he probably wouldn't have grounded on if there wasn't such a shortage of space caused by the overstaying.

The arrogant corporate attitude of the club in question isn't something that I would wish to be associated with.

It is difficult to arrange a rally without inconveniencing others. The club is aware of the problems but it has permission from BW and IWPS to organise the event and is trying to minimise the effect that it has on non members.

Lady Muck, on behalf of all us Northern boaters let me assure you, we do NOT all behave like this, Northerners are known to be friendly and welcoming lot, I don't know what gets into people when they get into a group, a sort of clicky mentalitily develops - please accept my apologies even though I do not belong to said club I am sure that had they know it was your Noble Self they would have welcomed you. If we had been there you could have joined us for one hell of a barbecue that went on for 2 days.

Give us another chance OK

No offence taken. :cheers:

I'm a Northerner, BTW.

I didn't get upset at the time - we had a boat in need of a repaint with lots of plants on the roof, I got used to being judged for that, because we are not pensioners and look a bit scruffy. They probably thought, 'bloody hippies.' Funny what a lick of paint can do for the reception you get on your travels.

I agree it was really busy (it was BH weekend after all). Perhaps in your case they were all 'spreading out' to save spaces when thier mates come?

Edited by Lady Muck

It is difficult to arrange a rally without inconveniencing others. The club is aware of the problems but it has permission from BW and IWPS to organise the event and is trying to minimise the effect that it has on non members.

So far as the Easter event is concerned, the Club most certainly did NOT have permission to hold an event.

IWPS has no authority to give permission to the club to hold an event, and it has no authority to reserve moorings, which must be on a first come first served basis, and it has no authority to permit overstaying when doing so would mean that moorings are not available for new arrivals.

I don't know what gets into people when they get into a group, a sort of clicky mentalitily develops

It's the herd mentality.

Been around since the dawn of man, the ones who survived were those that ganged up to beat their predators, we owe our existence to that trend. When we had beaten our predators we were programmed to look for more things to fight against so we fought each other and the technology of warfare developed that eventually lead to global conflict. We are now in the position of needing to eradicate this instinct but it is in our genetic make up so maybe we need to somehow try and genetically engineer it out.

Some may have survived without this method and could explain the 'loner' type who avoids large groups.

Until then all we can do is try to understand it and hopefully as individuals make an effort to avoid that behaviour

So far as the Easter event is concerned, the Club most certainly did NOT have permission to hold an event.

IWPS has no authority to give permission to the club to hold an event, and it has no authority to reserve moorings, which must be on a first come first served basis, and it has no authority to permit overstaying when doing so would mean that moorings are not available for new arrivals.

The club has however contacted BW who have "No problem" with it. I'll stay out of this now - as a club member only and not an officer I don't have the authority to continue.

The club has however contacted BW who have "No problem" with it. I'll stay out of this now - as a club member only and not an officer I don't have the authority to continue.

So far as Easter is concerned, BW knew nothing about it.

I'll come back in to say that at Easter the club raised over £300 for IWPS funds.

Indeed they did.

So, the club gave £300 to an organisation that manages 48hr visitor moorings on behalf of BW, and that organisation turned a blind eye to blatant overstaying by the club.

Indeed they did.

So, the club gave £300 to an organisation that manages 48hr visitor moorings on behalf of BW, and that organisation turned a blind eye to blatant overstaying by the club.

Surely any money that was raised should have gone to BW - its their property and their licence payers who were and are inconvenienced.

did you shop em to BW Dave? I hope so. Gangs of mates overstaying and chasing other boaters who wish to moor there away is a bit out of order i think.

There would appear to be no need to shop them, seems most reasonable people share the same views as me. Its bullying, by any other name, its still throwing your weight around.

Surely any money that was raised should have gone to BW - its their property and their licence payers who were and are inconvenienced.

On the one hand, I have no real problem with a club donating money to a society that voluntarily maintains the site at Bugsworth.

The problem comes when that same organisation takes on a role in policing compliance at the site and turns a blind eye to clubs that give it money.

"Yes sir, that will be a £60 fine and 3 points, or perhaps you'd like to make a contribution to the Police Benevolent Fund"

On the one hand, I have no real problem with a club donating money to a society that voluntarily maintains the site at Bugsworth.

The problem comes when that same organisation takes on a role in policing compliance at the site and turns a blind eye to clubs that give it money.

"Yes sir, that will be a £60 fine and 3 points, or perhaps you'd like to make a contribution to the Police Benevolent Fund"

I can imagine the ripples of richeous indignation across the waterways if that happened.

Whan we have our Rally towpath side BW insisted that we posted signs on the moorings for the week before, saying that moorings are reserved between x and y date for the rally.

Seems sensible to me.

Now mooring is on the offside so we dont have that problem.

Whan we have our Rally towpath side BW insisted that we posted signs on the moorings for the week before, saying that moorings are reserved between x and y date for the rally.

Seems sensible to me.

Now mooring is on the offside so we dont have that problem.

Sounds like a good idea - I'll suggest it to those in charge.

Yes, at Easter 2010, we had no issues getting a mooring, and the club wasn't causing any problems, so I commented on that, despite the fact that I had previously had issues with them.

Since then, I have become aware of a number of cases where they have adopted an arrogant attitude, and taken it upon themselves to annexe part of the basin for their exclusive use, attempting to move other boaters on who are moored in "their" arm.

If, at some future date, I see them behaving as paragons of virtue, you can be sure that I will mention it.

Sounds like a good idea - I'll suggest it to those in charge.

Those in charge have been told, by BW that they must NOT reserve moorings, and that moorings at BW are on a first come first served basis.

Yes, at Easter 2010, we had no issues getting a mooring, and the club wasn't causing any problems, so I commented on that, despite the fact that I had previously had issues with them.

Since then, I have become aware of a number of cases where they have adopted an arrogant attitude, and taken it upon themselves to annexe part of the basin for their exclusive use, attempting to move other boaters on who are moored in "their" arm.

If, at some future date, I see them behaving as paragons of virtue, you can be sure that I will mention it.

Those in charge have been told, by BW that they must NOT reserve moorings, and that moorings at BW are on a first come first served basis.

We were approached on the August bank holiday last year and asked if we would move as the "unnamed club" had "reserved" the arm. They claimed there had been a breakdown in communcation and that the person they had booked it with was not there to verify it. We told them tough, we were not moving and stayed where we were. I must admit there was some consternation as to where on earth they were expected to moor even though the rest of the place was quite empty.

I think there should be a clear message to them that it is not their arm and that certainly said man with stick should not be standing there at the entrance to the arm waving people past. Seems although aparantly although they have been told they have not taken much notice and have reserved it, although in a much more underhand and unofficial way.

It just leaves a bad impression of the organsion as elitist and overbearing, not something I would like to be associated with.