Shower roof

Featured Posts

Morning all,

Am in the process of tiling the shower and was wondering what to do with the roof. I think our last boat had a wooden sheet that was well painted and varnished.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or things to avoid?

Thanks

Frank

We didn't do anything different for the roof of the shower, it's integral to the bathroom, it's simply the roof of the boat which is cladded in T&G pine, you can just make it out in the first picture over the shower, picture 2 a bit clearer.

All we did do was varnish the entire bathroom ceiling to protect from moisture, the shower tiling runs up to the ceiling edge and some beading applied to hide the join also varnished.

Bathroomlooside-1.jpg

Bathroomsink.jpg

I'm actually serious now.

Why not instal an opening hatch in the roof above the shower tray.

So during a stifling heatwave,a wonderful FREE cold shower could be had during a thunderstorm or better still,golf ball sized hail storm,Invigorating eh! bizzard

Why does the shower cubicle need a roof?

Mine stops short of the boat ceiling by about 3 or 4 inches. This allows the extractor fan (which does the whole bathroom and isn't directly above the shower), to draw air from the cubicle. Even without the extractor fan the gap still allows water vapour from the shower to vent.

I think the more closed off a shower is will just make it more likely that it will stay wet and mildew/mould will grow. Mind you, if you have sliding doors you can just leave them open when the shower isn't in use.

Why does the shower cubicle need a roof?

Mine stops short of the boat ceiling by about 3 or 4 inches. This allows the extractor fan (which does the whole bathroom and isn't directly above the shower), to draw air from the cubicle. Even without the extractor fan the gap still allows water vapour from the shower to vent.

I think the more closed off a shower is will just make it more likely that it will stay wet and mildew/mould will grow. Mind you, if you have sliding doors you can just leave them open when the shower isn't in use.

That was the point I was trying to make, the top of our shower doors are 2 inches below the T&G ceiling. I even ducted the mushroom vent from the centre of the roof nearer to the shower. The port hole in the shower is also an opener so it gets plenty of ventilation and dries out quickly after use.

Can't leave the shower doors open, it looks untidy laugh.gif

That was the point I was trying to make, the top of our shower doors are 2 inches below the T&G ceiling. I even ducted the mushroom vent from the centre of the roof nearer to the shower. The port hole in the shower is also an opener so it gets plenty of ventilation and dries out quickly after use.

Yes, any sort of gap at the top is preferable rather than sealing it up.

If you're just concerned about moisture causing the bathroom ceiling to rot, as long as you have adequate ventilation I wouldn't worry. My bathroom ceiling is varnished oak-faced ply exactly the same as the rest of the boat. 6 years old and it's fine.

Edited by blackrose

I guess it would be a good place to have a brass vent. Aligning shower with vent may not be practical on anything other than a new boat build though. At least a vent leak wouldn't be so much of an issue ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Am in the process of tiling the shower and was wondering what to do with the roof. I think our last boat had a wooden sheet that was well painted and varnished.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or things to avoid?

Thanks

Frank

Plastivan tongue and groove

DSCF2134.jpg

I'm actually serious now.

Why not instal an opening hatch in the roof above the shower tray.

So during a stifling heatwave,a wonderful FREE cold shower could be had during a thunderstorm or better still,golf ball sized hail storm,Invigorating eh! bizzard

We have done this and it works wonderfully :cheers: We have also painted the ceiling with kitchen/bathroom paint.

Sue