Masons Paint

Featured Posts

I,m in the process of painting my boat, working on the Bows ,roof and rear deck at the moment, anyway to cut a long story short the bows have been sanded down to bare steel, 1 coat of primer 2 coats of undercoat 3 coats of rylards boat enamel (rubbed down with wet&dry between each coat and finally a 4th coat mixed with 15% owatrol oil. All coats applied with a roller and dry brushed. The finish is pretty good however the guy moored next to me is painting his boat he lightly rubbed down his old paint and gave it one coat of Masons paint applied with a brush and the depth of shine in his one coat is far better than my 4 coats, is there such a difference between Rylards and Masons. Ive searched on line for a masons colour card but cant find one any one help me.

Edit Found the colour card

Edited by AlanM6

I,m in the process of painting my boat, working on the Bows ,roof and rear deck at the moment, anyway to cut a long story short the bows have been sanded down to bare steel, 1 coat of primer 2 coats of undercoat 3 coats of rylards boat enamel (rubbed down with wet&dry between each coat and finally a 4th coat mixed with 15% owatrol oil. All coats applied with a roller and dry brushed. The finish is pretty good however the guy moored next to me is painting his boat he lightly rubbed down his old paint and gave it one coat of Masons paint applied with a brush and the depth of shine in his one coat is far better than my 4 coats, is there such a difference between Rylards and Masons. Ive searched on line for a masons colour card but cant find one any one help me.

Hi,

Over the years I have seen some dreadful examples of faded Mason's paint - red especially. My boat is currently being painted and the only top coat which offered a good colour match of the paint I wanted was the dreaded Masons.

I went for it, only to be informed this am that the pigments would not mix (these painters know what they are talking about) and the colour quality could not be guaranteed - 'you may see some white streaks).

A hasty change was made to Craftmaster paint, which I had considered in the first place.

Masons have the usual 'wriggle out' excuses where everything is blamed on the painters.

I could not get hold of a colour chart.

Stick with another brand and Masons - stay in your Lodge.

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Over the years I have seen some dreadful examples of faded Mason's paint - red especially.

You just described WotEver.

She needs repainting after being professionally painted in Mason's only 4 years ago. I'm not impressed.

Tony

... the depth of shine in his one coat is far better than my 4 coats...

Have you discounted application technique?

When I was learning to DIY decorate many years ago I used to over-brush the gloss, and I never realised until I saw a professional getting a far superior finish to me with half the effort in half the time.

I'm quite good at glossing now, but my bad back precludes me doing much decorating any more (at least that's what I tell SWMBO) ;)

Tony

Hi all

Masons paints used to be almost the industry standard around many paint docks back in the 90s, they were the preferred choice of many coach painters, including my friend and colleague Phil Speight. They had a chain of sources countrywide and I could call my local depot, order a litre of colour and have it delivered the following day. They became less accommodating, insisting on minimum orders, and bad experiences led Phil to found Craftmaster as the antidote.I understand that the plant no longer produces paint and that so called "Masons" is either produced by Chromadex or small outfits mixing to Masons formulae. bear in mind that the formulations will have changed because of the Volatile Organic Compound regulations....no paint is what it was 20 years ago, regardless of who makes it!

That's why, for example, oil based scumble, for graining, is no longer available, tho' a water based alternative, which I've yet to try, is now on sale.

Simply rubbing down an existing coat of paint, where sound, and recoating in a gloss or two will often give a better shine than a few built up new coats, tho' I've no experience of using Rylard to offer a comparison.

Many years ago Tekaloid was the "business", paint wise. I was talking with one of my coach painting colleagues only last week. He'd been in touch with whoever now makes Tekaloid, who told him that the paint was not the same as the old stuff and that they now manufacture a laquer to apply over top coats. That should bring out the gloss, but would require careful maintenance...it can't be allowed to craze and scratches must be touched in promptly.

Hope this perspective sheds a tad of light!

Cheers

Dave

Our boat was painted with Mason's red when new in 1991, it faded to pink in 4 years. A repaint (again with Masons) was pink within 3 years. Their black was superb, it stayed black, but I wouldn't touch their red again. Surprisingly International stayed a good red for much longer.

Our boat was painted with Mason's red when new in 1991, it faded to pink in 4 years. A repaint (again with Masons) was pink within 3 years. Their black was superb, it stayed black, but I wouldn't touch their red again. Surprisingly International stayed a good red for much longer.

I would guess that your sanding down is too aggressive, by the time you are on your third coat you should be using a very fine "nylon scouring pad" can't remember the professional term. Also I would suggest you use Owatrol on each gloss coat or their own additive Rylaid, getting each coat smoother requiring less flatting back.

The key to your neighbours success is probably his lightly rubbed down paint! Oh and don't have the dry brush too dry either.

Hope this helps

Cheers A

Joseph Mason paints factory closed in 2002! May I also add that I have used another well known brand of RED paint to recoat parts of our boat, and this has faded/discoloured in less than two years. I am now in the process of changing the red colour altogether. Incidently the newer red paint looked worse than the older paint that was still visable from when the boat was new.

I went for it, only to be informed this am that the pigments would not mix (these painters know what they are talking about) and the colour quality could not be guaranteed - 'you may see some white streaks).

We think there is a possibily that the masons paint we ordered is showing signs of flocculation. There is a white pigment that is no longer suspended in the rest of the paint, even when stirred with a proper mixing paddle for over 20 minutes.

Although Mason's has a good track record with us for being reliable this isn't the first time we have come across this problem. Luckily we were able to spot the signs before we put a coat on the boat. The result of using the faulty paint would have been as Leo says, columns of vertical white pin stripe lines appearing along the cabin, within the new coat of Mid Grey paint. If painted, the coat of paint itself will be fine, but it will result in a cosmetic flaw.

Unfortunately, in my experience there appears to be very little regress when it comes to refunding faulty products or reimbursing money to painters in order to put right the flaw caused by the faulty paint. Three years ago I spoke to a Mason's rep about this and he had a string of 'fob offs' to tell me regarding the problem. The mason's reps are very unwilling to admit fault and are reluctant to visit the boat to view the defects. Although the flocculation appears to be rare, this fault with the paint and the reluctance to admit the existance of the problem has been experienced by other painters aswell.

Edited by kitman

We think there is a possibily that the masons paint we ordered is showing signs of flocculation. There is a white pigment that is no longer suspended in the rest of the paint, even when stirred with a proper mixing paddle for over 20 minutes.

Hi,

Sounds rude and definately something to be avoided or could it be considered an added advantage - use Masons paint and have a good 'flocculate'.

I will avoid any reference to painters retiring early with 'dodgy upper body limb parts'.

ATB

Leo.

Edited by LEO

Although Mason's has a good track record with us for being reliable this isn't the first time we have come across this problem. Luckily we were able to spot the signs before we put a coat on the boat. The result of using the faulty paint would have been as Leo says, columns of vertical white pin stripe lines appearing along the cabin, within the new coat of Mid Grey paint. If painted, the coat of paint itself will be fine, but it will result in a cosmetic flaw.

Unfortunately, in my experience there appears to be very little regress when it comes to refunding faulty products or reimbursing money to painters in order to put right the flaw caused by the faulty paint. Three years ago I spoke to a Mason's rep about this and he had a string of 'fob offs' to tell me regarding the problem. The mason's reps are very unwilling to admit fault and are reluctant to visit the boat to view the defects. Although the flocculation appears to be rare, this fault with the paint and the reluctance to admit the existance of the problem has been experienced by other painters aswell.

Our boat was originally painted in Masons, and we repainted in a mixture of Masons, Craftsmaster and International (for the red panels). I think I bought my last batch of Masons about four years ago. The factory no longer existed, but they were still making the paint somewhere.

I tried to order some more Masons this spring, (via Uxbridge Boat Centre) they called me recently to tell me that Masons have definitely, finally gone out of business.

'Joanie M' is Masons. Now just over 4 years old and still gets nice comments from passers-by. No red though but the name panel is crimson which has not faded yet. Got a new tin of Masons cream for the roof at the end of last year.

I recall Phil Speight saying that the pigment commonly used in red paint was more toxic than other colours and so manufacturers were required to use less of it in their paint. The dreaded elfin safety again. Anyway he said that was why red paint tended to fade more quickly that other colours. You do see a lot of red faded to pink, or even to cream streaks.

Of course that's nothing to do with your glossiness problem, which as the others have said is probably more to do with technique than paint.

Hi,

Sounds rude and definately something to be avoided or could it be considered an added advantage - use Masons paint and have a good 'flocculate'.

I will avoid any reference to painters retiring early with 'dodgy upper body limb parts'.

ATB

Leo.

I had a feeling you were a fan of the 'double entendre' when - after discussing painting the other day - you asked 'whether I rest my wrists after the weekend?(!)' :lol:

Most reds will fade quicker than other colours simply (actually not so simply) because they ARE red. In order to be RED the red has to absorb blue or ultra-violet light, which is a higher wavelength/energy light. Some red dyes are better than others at resisting fading, but they're all susceptible.

Blue, on the other hand, and for the opposite reasons (i.e. it absorbs relatively low wavelength red light) tends to last better.

Anyone ever used Johnstone,s I called it at my local branch for a nosey. there Trade professional optimum high gloss finish is under a tenner a Ltr

seems pretty cheap.

You get the quality you pay for.

I used cheap paint from Focus, just the colour I wanted, but a pain to put on, but it gave the painters a good laugh when they gave me an estimate for a repaint.

Leo

You get the quality you pay for.

I used cheap paint from Focus, just the colour I wanted, but a pain to put on, but it gave the painters a good laugh when they gave me an estimate for a repaint.

Leo

Yes you do in most cases...but with a barge to paint and the price of so called "Marine Paints" being so costly i tried Jawel paint who are manufacturers in Birmingham. I used their TruckCoat and am very pleased with the results...