Kinver Canopies Boat Covers

Featured Posts

Gibbo has been contributing to the forum for years, on all subjects, under his own name, not his company's, as well as offering free advice on all matters electrical, not just smartgauge oriented.

And still does

inner roll up screens behind the 'window' panels that are insect netting please! So main window or side sections roll out the way and insect screening can be dropped down instead! Air but no midges!

inner roll up screens behind the 'window' panels that are insect netting please! So main window or side sections roll out the way and insect screening can be dropped down instead! Air but no midges!

Similar to a tent Ally?

Richard

Right I've now taken the bull by the horns and reported myself for this post.. As I don't want to upset anyone.

I've also asked what I can do to still gauge the Ideas on new covers from the forum without it being an advert.

Hope this will keep the scales even for all sides.

Under the circumstances and unless overruled, I am happy to let this topic continue - it could be perceived as 'advertising by the backdoor' but an organisation comprising of just two people is hardly big business even if it is 'commercial' . . .

Personally, I don't see what is wrong with adverts as long as they are not disguised as normal posts. Perhaps there is a case for an adverts section which readers can ignore or visit depending on their proclivities. This might well raise some much deserved revenue for the owner.

We do have a place for commercial links in the 'Links' section of the forum - many of the links are blatant advertisements but they have been accepted as OK it that section only. It is worth looking through the 'Links Directory' because it is a useful resource.

Similar to a tent Ally?

Richard

Now that IS a good idea

OK. I'd have a pram hood if:

It had windscreen wipers so that I could see in the rain.

It was low enough to go under low bridges.

It was high enough for me to stand in,

It had a system whereby I could step on and off the stern without undoing the sides.

It did not provide cover for those wanting to break in.

As it is at the moment around here pram hoods are only erected when the boat is moored - pointless.

I'd have a cratch board and cover if:

It didn't make it awkward to get on and off the bow.

It didn't make it very difficult to change gas bottles in the bow locker.

It, including the woodwork, could be easily removed and stored for sitting in the well deck in fine weather.

It did not provide cover for those wanting to break in.

Sounds like you need to buy a house! :)

or a framed cratch..which can be removed and stored also has zips in to gain access to gas locker.

gallery_13897_675_32107.jpg

Edited by Kinver Canopies

Under the circumstances and unless overruled, I am happy to let this topic continue - it could be perceived as 'advertising by the backdoor' but an organisation comprising of just two people is hardly big business even if it is 'commercial' . . .

Good call, they've been very open about what they are doing

Richard

No - it sounds like he just doesn't need to either buy a pram-hood or a cratch cover!

Indeed - given he has no idea of the benefit of a pram hood when moored.. or a cratch cover for storage

Richard

I agree - I thought the initial 'jumping on' of the original posts by a couple of posters was a tad OTT,,

Edited by MJG

Similar to a tent Ally?

Richard

Thanks for all your support folks :cheers:

With the idea of fly screen behind windows its gets a bit tricky as both the window and the fly screen would need to roll up/ be removed, as im sure you wouldn't want the screen to block the view from the window when its down. How about interchangeable windows/screens?

And I've been told Pram hoods are ideal wet rooms for drip drying dogs in whilst its raining and you've been out for a walk.

I have met several boaters who only put their canopies up on cruiser stern Narrowboats when they are moored up for the night to give another room, for this purpose why don't you make a cover out of material similar to that used in caravan awnings. Much lighter to handle, easier to store, lighter for fastenings and zips and hopefully cheaper.

Richard

This forum has the ability to assign members to a 'group', currently that seems to be limited to 'member' or 'crew'. Maybe we would all benefit if there were a group for 'commercial' members? Several members declare their interest in their signature. We should not deny their expertise! e.g. Gibbo, Baldock etc. could choose to post as boaters or as business developers.

Good luck to Kinver Canopies! We need a competitive canopy business and, more so, some decent chimney/funnel producers in the SW.

Their website is dire! If I were touting for business (as an ex Web Developer) I could do much better; please, remove the apologies, sell your quality and service as you did on this forum!

Alan

I have met several boaters who only put their canopies up on cruiser stern Narrowboats when they are moored up for the night to give another room, for this purpose why don't you make a cover out of material similar to that used in caravan awnings. Much lighter to handle, easier to store, lighter for fastenings and zips and hopefully cheaper.

I'll look into it, but I would think that the material would need to be waterproofed on a much more regular basis, that amount of fabsil would soon add up.

I'm also unsure of the U.V protection given to the lighter material. I know ours is guaranteed for five years.

Good luck to Kinver Canopies! We need a competitive canopy business and, more so, some decent chimney/funnel producers in the SW.

Their website is dire! If I were touting for business (as an ex Web Developer) I could do much better; please, remove the apologies, sell your quality and service as you did on this forum!

Alan

I'm in the middle of creating the website myself, I am sorry its not up to scratch yet, but as a none webdeveloper It's comming along slowly.

If your interrested in helping I'd be glad to chat and maybe for payment we could produce some of our 'quality work' for your boat if you needed it.. Back to the good old days of swapping two pigs for a cow.

Yes, similar to a tent....surely one can roll in and one out? or together if open? Could be interchangeable but that always leaves room for one to go missing or get dropped in the water!

Good point.. I'll also start work on some designs.. and add them to our poor old website when I finally get chance to complete it.

"I'm in the middle of creating the website myself, I am sorry its not up to scratch yet, but as a none webdeveloper It's comming along slowly. "

My man is good at websites...did ours (daredn't tell you it incase I get shouted at for advertising!!) and what a brill job. You won't find anyone much less expensive and he could really do with the work! PM me if interested!

Indeed - given he has no idea of the benefit of a pram hood when moored.. or a cratch cover for storage

I have indeed considered the benefits and found them insufficient to persuade me to part with lots of money.

Our last boat had a cratch cover. It was a bit of a nusiance in that it made getting off and on at the bow very awkward. I'm quite tall and it involved bending down whilst stepping over the gunwhale. You couldn't sit out in the open in the well deck - something I enjoy whilst cruising. I have enough storage without turning the well deck into a shed. If I lived aboard I might need one.

Pram hoods are also, in my opinion only, a waste of money. I would only be able to use one whilst moored and I don't feel the need for an extra room. If the weather is good then I'd rather sit outside on the cruiser stern or on the bank. If it is wet then I'm happy inside. If I could use one when cruising in wet weather I might change my opinion.

Edited by AlanH

I have indeed considered the benefits and found them insufficient to persuade me to part with lots of money.

Our last boat had a cratch cover. It was a bit of a nusciance in that it made getting off and on at the bow very awkward. I'm quite tall and it involved bending down whilst stepping over the gunwhale. You couldn't sit out in the open in the well deck - something I enjoy whilst cruising. I have enough storage without turning the well deck into a shed. If I lived aboard I might need one.

Pram hoods are also, in my opinion only, a waste of money. I would only be able to use one whilst moored and I don't feel the need for an extra room. If the weather is good then I'd rather sit outside on the cruiser stern or on the bank. If it is wet then I'm happy inside. If I could use one when cruising in wet weather I might change my opinion.

That's what put me off so I designed my own, works well and is very convenient.

Image030.jpg

Edited by nb Innisfree

This forum has the ability to assign members to a 'group', currently that seems to be limited to 'member' or 'crew'. Maybe we would all benefit if there were a group for 'commercial' members? Several members declare their interest in their signature. We should not deny their expertise! e.g. Gibbo, Baldock etc. could choose to post as boaters or as business developers.

Alan

My website is dire, in fact it's not even up yet, and I've been trading four months, no five. To go from a standing start takes time, and in that time you are pleased that 1) the customers you've got are happy and 2) the money coming in is putting food on the table and paying the mortgage. I've worked out our household bills (given we are moving at the end of August) are now paid until next march. I can hopefully find time to develop my website now, if the bloody customers will stop asking me to do things. ;)

Not a bad job, Did you make it yourself? Do the rear zips on the roof section allow any rain to drip in?

I did the frame myself and had it covered by a one man floating canopy maker, he took great care as he was in unknown territory and we both accepted it might not work, in the event there were no worries as it is completely watertight.

I

I did the frame myself and had it covered by a one man floating canopy maker, he took great care as he was in unknown territory and we both accepted it might not work, in the event there were no worries as it is completely watertight.

I

I think that's a great job - love the access to the gas locker...

ETA - I think it might be time now though for the OP to stop flooding the gallery with pics. of their work..we get the point....

they look nice but...Dominic doesn't flood the gallery with pictures of boats he's successfully brokered, Martyn doesn't load up pics. of his satellite installations and Ally doesn't post pics. of her companies boat builds...

time to play fair??? -

Edited by MJG